1999 Nissan Maxima - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Maxima model:
After 13 years and over 143k miles, it still goes strong
By hdao on 06/15/12 13:39 PM (PDT)

1999 Nissan Maxima GXE 4dr Sedan

I am a first owner of my 1999 Maxima. Regular maintenance such as engine oil, trans fluid, brake fluid, steering fluid, and brake pad changes don't count. The only problems for this year model are defective ignition coils. I have changed them myself and cost $90/per coil. The redesigned coils are flawless. I also replaced a O2 sensor for $80 part only. At approximately every 80k miles, the EGR Guide Tube needs to be cleaned. It is difficult to Do-It-Yourself. Although it cost only $5 for replacing the EGR gasket as the tube must be taken out to be cleaned with choke cleaning sprayer. The dealer will charge $120 for labor.

Best Car ever owned
By gazzoo on 05/01/11 14:37 PM (PDT)

1999 Nissan Maxima GXE 4dr Sedan

This will be the last day driving the best car I have ever owned. The Maxima (Mimo for nickname) has flawlessly given everything I ever asked from it. The engine and torque are in perfect balance in every gear. Need to get up to 60 mph in third in order to get on the highway. Just slightly depress pedal half way and feel the hand of God push you back into your seat. This car was/is a thoroughbred race horse. It never hiccuped while making a 800 mile road trip while on cruise control or any trip for that matter. I managed to get 170K on the original clutch! And now after 197765 miles it still gets about 28mpg on the highway. It is time to trade in and get a car for the whole family. Thnx Mimo

Great Buy
By CT on 08/05/09 07:43 AM (PDT)

1999 Nissan Maxima GXE 4dr Sedan

I bought my Maxima GXE used in '03 with 29K miles, and it was the best used car decision I ever made. It is now at 152K miles and still going strong. It has never needed a major repair. I change the oil myself every 3K miles with Pennzoil 5w-30. Repairs includes: CV boot replacements X 2, two O2 sensors, Brakes Pads front & back X 2. I replaced the radio with Sony deck with CD and Ipod wiring located in glove box, installed remote staring and door open unlock system, new speakers front and rear, Chrome wheels and had front bumper, hood and front quarter panels repainted.

99 Maxima GXE 5 speed
By Dave on 02/17/08 09:36 AM (PST)

1999 Nissan Maxima GXE 4dr Sedan

Bought this car new in 1999. Nine years and 200000 miles later, still as fast and fun to drive as day one. Still has original clutch. Getting 22 to 24 mpg highway at 75 mph. Oil change every 5k miles. Black paint showing its age as well as some bumps and rattles. Replaced ignition packs and 3 oxygen sensors 2.5 years ago. Exaust pipe hangers rusted at 180K so put on new pipes myself. One axle shaft at 192K(boot failure) Normal maintenence, brakes, plugs I have done myself. The car not good in snow with all season radials. If you live in snow area, invest in 4 snow tires. What a difference. This is the best car I've owned.

Not so reliable.
By esteband67 on 07/26/07 17:30 PM (PDT)

1999 Nissan Maxima GXE 4dr Sedan

I got this vehicle three and half years ago and take very good care of it but it doesn't seem to appreciate it. In the short time I've owned it I've had a computer chip problem $500 at the dealer and engine coils had to be replaced $1100 at the dealer. Car has only 53000 miles so none of this should go wrong. I've replaced brake pads twice. Also gets out of alignment a lot. Needs bearings but I can't afford it right now after spending $1100 yesterday. I made a bad decision with a Nissan. Never again.

Best car I've owned
By Liza on 07/23/07 15:54 PM (PDT)

1999 Nissan Maxima GXE 4dr Sedan

I bought this car in 2000 with 14000 miles on it. The guys at the dealership put 3000 miles on it before I bought it. When I saw it had a 5 speed 6 cylinder engine, I bought it right away. Now with 130000+ miles on it it still runs good as new, with no major problems to report. The only problem I have ever had was a sensor that needed to be replaced & routine maintenance. I just bought an SUV and I didn't have the heart to trade the Maxima in. Hopefully I'll get another 100000 miles out of it!

1999 nissan rocks
By vinnnn on 03/17/07 11:52 AM (PDT)

1999 Nissan Maxima GXE 4dr Sedan

Original owner. The only 2 complaints are rear caliper froze with 18,000 miles??? IGNITION COILS will go . Mine went after 4 years 3 months. 3 months after warranty. After calling around found it to be a major problem on all 1999 maximas. Beware if you buy used .

excellent except for ignition coils
By Bill Barber on 06/21/06 19:18 PM (PDT)

1999 Nissan Maxima GXE 4dr Sedan

excellent car, very reliable and fun to drive, 5 speed, except for 2 very annoying issues, the ignition coils that Nissan is aware of and won't fix and brake calipers

RELIABLE CAR, MINOR MECHANICAL PROBLEMS
By Hector27 on 05/21/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Nissan Maxima GXE 4dr Sedan

my experience with this vehicle so far has being very good. no major mechanical problems; except for a "Bad COIL" that caused the check engine light to appear in the instrument panel. transmition feels very smooth no problems there. noise ratio outside to inside very good.

a good compromise
By skippys on 01/14/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1999 Nissan Maxima GXE 4dr Sedan

Good compromises: it's spirited yet soft and peppy yet docile. Backseat and trunk more useable than some of its competitors. Engine pulls hard and sounds good throughout most of its range although top end thrust is lacking. Auto has a hard 1-2 shift when cold. I found the steering wheel more comfortable/responsive than others. Interior looks great although there are a couple of rattles/squeaks (easily fixable, but still). Overall I'm pleased and wouldn't be considerably happier (for what I was willing to spend) without two different cars. It can either comfortably haul around four people or I can play.