Used 1999 Nissan Maxima GXE Consumer Reviews - 17 Car Reviews | Edmunds

1999 Nissan Maxima - Consumer Reviews

1999 Nissan Maxima

View reviews for a specific Maxima model:

my first purchased car !
By STEVE GONZALEZ

1999 Nissan Maxima GXE 4dr Sedan

I bought this 99 Nissan maxima when I was 21 the car looks great ran great as others I have had coil problems but after fixing them It was good. used only synthetic oil ! only used 76 gas . 87 unleaded of course. I have changed the oil seals myself. the car still runs great. reseale value totally blows I rather keep it. the purchase value was outrageous. I don't know what I was thinking.. if you drive it fast you burn the gas as fast. being it is a v6 ! I love my maxima I also have a 2007 Honda accord. cant compare them.. the maxima has great speed and the better engine. I think. the accord handles a lot better great on gas. but I will always love my maxima ! being that I am from California and the roads out here are bumpy I love my v6 to out run the smaller 4 sissy cylinder cars out here.

Sweet Car!
By dom52

1999 Nissan Maxima GXE 4dr Sedan

The car i got my license in, well where to begin. It's been and still is a reliable, fun car to drive. Oil changes are super easy to do, all you have to do is turn the wheel all the way to the right and you have access to the plug and filter without lifting the car. The car is at about 275,000 miles and counting, and show no signs of failing anytime soon. The only thing that went bad on this car was the alternator(not a big deal). Other than that I highly recommend this car.

It is a simple car, electronically speaking.

After 13 years and over 143k miles, it still goes strong
By hdao

1999 Nissan Maxima GXE 4dr Sedan

I am a first owner of my 1999 Maxima. Regular maintenance such as engine oil, trans fluid, brake fluid, steering fluid, and brake pad changes don't count.
The only problems for this year model are defective ignition coils.
I have changed them myself and cost $90/per coil.
The redesigned coils are flawless.
I also replaced a O2 sensor for $80 part only.
At approximately every 80k miles, the EGR Guide Tube needs to be cleaned.
It is difficult to Do-It-Yourself.
Although it cost only $5 for replacing the EGR gasket as the tube must be taken out to be cleaned with choke cleaning sprayer.
The dealer will charge $120 for labor.

Good thing about this model is easy to trouble-shoot. When a service engine light on, you can look over the internet and learn how to read the flash code which will tell what part needs to be replaced. I have done it to fix all problems I have mentioned.

I guess that Nissan have improved a lot with its later V6 engines. I don't hear problems with ignition coils or EGR Tube reported for later models.

Best Car ever owned
By gazzoo

1999 Nissan Maxima GXE 4dr Sedan

This will be the last day driving the best car I have ever owned. The Maxima (Mimo for nickname) has flawlessly given everything I ever asked from it. The engine and torque are in perfect balance in every gear. Need to get up to 60 mph in third in order to get on the highway. Just slightly depress pedal half way and feel the hand of God push you back into your seat. This car was/is a thoroughbred race horse. It never hiccuped while making a 800 mile road trip while on cruise control or any trip for that matter. I managed to get 170K on the original clutch! And now after 197765 miles it still gets about 28mpg on the highway. It is time to trade in and get a car for the whole family. Thnx Mimo

Speed, handling, strength of engine. Clutch!! room for 5 comfortably. Totally reliable and gas mileage.

none, it is an old car

Great Buy
By CT

1999 Nissan Maxima GXE 4dr Sedan

I bought my Maxima GXE used in '03 with 29K miles, and it was the best used car decision I ever made. It is now at 152K miles and still going strong. It has never needed a major repair. I change the oil myself every 3K miles with Pennzoil 5w-30. Repairs includes: CV boot replacements X 2, two O2 sensors, Brakes Pads front & back X 2. I replaced the radio with Sony deck with CD and Ipod wiring located in glove box, installed remote staring and door open unlock system, new speakers front and rear, Chrome wheels and had front bumper, hood and front quarter panels repainted.

sunroof and smooth ride

Rear sheet metal and light styling. a moot point now.