1999 Nissan Maxima - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Maxima model:
Maximum Driving Fun, Minimum Reliability
By davidcohen1969 on 01/19/14 21:23 PM (PST)

1999 Nissan Maxima GLE 4dr Sedan

Bought My Max in 2005 w/118K (now 214K). I have averaged about 1000-1500K a year in repairs. The exceptional VQ V6 and transmission combo in these older model maximas is even better then the 2004 Avalon legendary V6 I recently purchased to replace it. Problem is everything around it is falling apart. I'd fix one probem and two more show up. I'd fix two problems and four more show up. You get the idea. Whats more, I got tired of having to feed it premium gas-tried regular, but the knocking sounded like someone was trying to break in to my house. Despite my gripes, I still own her. I'm hooked on the powertrain. I'll keep it through winter and then it's good bye.

After 13 years and over 143k miles, it still goes strong
By hdao on 06/15/12 13:39 PM (PDT)

1999 Nissan Maxima GXE 4dr Sedan

I am a first owner of my 1999 Maxima. Regular maintenance such as engine oil, trans fluid, brake fluid, steering fluid, and brake pad changes don't count. The only problems for this year model are defective ignition coils. I have changed them myself and cost $90/per coil. The redesigned coils are flawless. I also replaced a O2 sensor for $80 part only. At approximately every 80k miles, the EGR Guide Tube needs to be cleaned. It is difficult to Do-It-Yourself. Although it cost only $5 for replacing the EGR gasket as the tube must be taken out to be cleaned with choke cleaning sprayer. The dealer will charge $120 for labor.

245,000 And Runs / Drives Like New! Amazing Car!
By rh287 on 02/24/12 07:45 AM (PST)

1999 Nissan Maxima GLE 4dr Sedan

My 1999 Nissan Maxima SE runs like BRAND NEW with 245,000+ miles. Yes, the factory ignition coils are a problem, but you can get some after markets on eBay for $114.00. Installation is very simple. You are also replacing your plug wires as well when you do this. Go ahead and replace the upstream OS sensor at the same time. You can get a new one for $23.00 on eBay. If your check engine is on, go to Autozone and have them turn it off after you do this. Many "experts" agree, the 1999 Nissan Maxima has the best drivetrain ever built with the exception of the toyota pickup 22R and 22RE. Its crazy but at 245,000 miles my Nissan Maxima has NO blowby at all. AMAZING car and fun car to drive.

Great car up until
By ballbreaker910 on 10/23/11 23:33 PM (PDT)

1999 Nissan Maxima GLE 4dr Sedan

I purchased my 99 Maxima in 2010 with 104000 Miles. I was sure this car would be reliable which it was up until I hit a severe bump in the Bronx, NY. The car was never the same since. The exhaust ended up falling off. I repaired that. The axel needed to be replaced. Done. The starter failed. Repaired that. Bushing, ball joints and breaks went. Repaired. Trunk wouldn’t open. Solved that issue. So my mechanic really believed in this car. Then lastly I went out to start the car one day and the car began to sputter. Felt awful. Turned out to be the coil pack. For anyone who knows anything about coil packs… When one fails… The remaining coil packs may be soon to follow. So I spent the $275 to fix

Best Car ever owned
By gazzoo on 05/01/11 14:37 PM (PDT)

1999 Nissan Maxima GXE 4dr Sedan

This will be the last day driving the best car I have ever owned. The Maxima (Mimo for nickname) has flawlessly given everything I ever asked from it. The engine and torque are in perfect balance in every gear. Need to get up to 60 mph in third in order to get on the highway. Just slightly depress pedal half way and feel the hand of God push you back into your seat. This car was/is a thoroughbred race horse. It never hiccuped while making a 800 mile road trip while on cruise control or any trip for that matter. I managed to get 170K on the original clutch! And now after 197765 miles it still gets about 28mpg on the highway. It is time to trade in and get a car for the whole family. Thnx Mimo

1999 Nissian Maxima GLE
By mac3326 on 03/14/11 22:40 PM (PDT)

1999 Nissan Maxima GLE 4dr Sedan

Excellent 4 dr Car, would buy again (now with 120 k -Extremly reliable (no break downs) -I replace battery every 3 years regardless ( no extra stress on vehicle and dont have to worry that battery will wear out prematurely or stress out alternator) -has timing chain, no worrys for water pump -Just changed out struts, they were good but I had to buy tires, evanly worn, (HydroEdge 90,000 mile tire again) -Changed pads at same time (cer. so the breaks wont squeak -changed speakers fininaly wore out -EXCELLENT CAR, EXCELLENT CAR!!!!

Rock solid car
By CTmaxima on 12/03/10 00:00 AM (PST)

1999 Nissan Maxima SE Limited 4dr Sedan

Bought 1 yr old with 40k, 10 yrs later with 210k all I have had to do was replace rubber, pads, the occasional caliper, and the starter. Switches and gauges all still functioning normally,but intermittently lose console lighting for AC/Radio and the antenna motor died. Fun to drive with plenty of power, I only wish I had gotten the manual transmission.

Great Buy
By CT on 08/05/09 07:43 AM (PDT)

1999 Nissan Maxima GXE 4dr Sedan

I bought my Maxima GXE used in '03 with 29K miles, and it was the best used car decision I ever made. It is now at 152K miles and still going strong. It has never needed a major repair. I change the oil myself every 3K miles with Pennzoil 5w-30. Repairs includes: CV boot replacements X 2, two O2 sensors, Brakes Pads front & back X 2. I replaced the radio with Sony deck with CD and Ipod wiring located in glove box, installed remote staring and door open unlock system, new speakers front and rear, Chrome wheels and had front bumper, hood and front quarter panels repainted.

It has been through it all
By dt22191 on 07/15/09 13:08 PM (PDT)

1999 Nissan Maxima GLE 4dr Sedan

Okay so I purchased this car when I got a job as a client manager. This required me to drive the vehicle roughly 200-300 miles per day. That lasted for one year. I was expecting with a vehicle this old, to have to put some money back into it in the form of repairs...but with just over 200k miles (25,000 of which is mine) the only problem I have had to repair was a broken starter. It has an oil leak but nothing that is not impossible to live with. I love this car and it has been incredibly reliable.

Best car I have owned
By Vito P on 07/01/09 22:38 PM (PDT)

1999 Nissan Maxima GLE 4dr Sedan

After being told by GM that my Firebird with 75000 miles had lived "its useful life" I finally gave up and bought a Nissan...best decision ever... I now have 140000 original owner miles with NEVER a major problem...just brakes, coils...little things...the car is EXCEPTIONALLY RELIABLE and starts every time with NO hesitation...they built this one to last...hoping to make it to 200K. Buy with confidence.