1998 Nissan Maxima Consumer Review: Rock Solid Fun

1998 Nissan Maxima - Consumer Review

GLE Sedan (3.0L V6 4-speed Automatic)

Rock Solid Fun
By Dean on

1998 Nissan Maxima GLE 4dr Sedan

This is actually my second Maxima and I am a true believer. Having owned Toyotas and Hondas which are also great, these are the best sedans made. The style is attractive and fresh despite its age (10 years)! It has great acceleration and spunk, but I average an easy 25+ mpg. in combination driving. After two years and nearly 35k miles, I have only replaced the alternator, tires and oil. The interior is plush and refined, but can handle kids, spills and mud always cleaning nicely. The engine and transmission show no signs of slowing down, and I have no strange clanging noises or tired groans. The body refuses rust and the doors still thump shut like new. I just could not be more pleased.

Definitely the performance/economy aspect. I purchased this vehicle for $4900 in late 05, and believe that is the best deal I will ever see on a car. It is so smooth, powerful, fast and "cool" but gets decent mileage and just does not break down.

I would like the cruise control fixtures to all be in one spot, preferably on the steering wheel. One must push a button on the dash then adjust the controls and that is a bit bothersome. But other than that I would not change a thing!