First Car
By CTM on
1998 Nissan Maxima GXE 4dr Sedan
The only problems I can recall having are with exhaust pieces rusting and falling off and with frozen rear calipers. I bought this car when I was a young man and, as it was my first car, it was easy for me to love its crazy, enthusiastic spirit and the surprising power of what I thought was just another dependable Japanese family sedan. A word of caution however. The GXE mixes the same big powerful engine as the pricier models with a tall and loose suspension, long-throw manual and no limited slip, sporty tires, ABS, traction or stability control. It instills a sense of adventure in me, not confidence.
Favorite Features
Power everything. Non-premium stereo (Clarion / Panasonic) still just fine. When I bought this car I was looking at Golfs and Accords and thought this car was the same as those. Its power surprised me.
Suggested Improvements
Things I improved on mine. Came as a base GXE. Previous owner had added a spoiler and black pinstripes (both great!). I added a factory CD/Cassette and factory front floor mats. It's power surprised me b/c I was looking at family sedans. If you are looking for a sports sedan, go with the SE.