Used 1998 Nissan Maxima Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1998 Nissan Maxima - Consumer Reviews

1998 Nissan Maxima Sedan

View reviews for a specific Maxima model:

Maxima SE
By Nick

1998 Nissan Maxima Sedan SE 4dr Sedan

This is my first car and was only $4000. The car runs like new and has 135,000 miles on it. A great value. I would recommend it to anyone that is in the market for an awesome used sedan,

Favorite Features

5 speed manual, stereo, reliablity

Best car I ever owned
By Brittany

1998 Nissan Maxima Sedan GLE 4dr Sedan

Never broken down! Not once in coming up on 8 years! That is impressive. Such a stylish car for being a '98, I still get compliments on its appearance. It still looks cutting- edge in design. This car has such superb stability and it has even more manuevering ability. I can turn around in the tiniest of places! We have gotten excellent customer service from various Nissan dealerships for maintanenece. Cannot even speak a bad word about anything about this car....not one thing comes to mind at all!

Favorite Features

Bose stereo system, cut-away cubby hole from back-seat to trunk,

Suggested Improvements

Possible optional navigation system in top models, seat memory, lumbar system, cup holders in rear, heated seats

"This is the One"
By Margarita Gutierrez

1998 Nissan Maxima Sedan SE 4dr Sedan

Prior to purchasing this great car, all cars previously owned gave me so much trouble, were so unreliable, and had to spend a lot of time and money at the dealer or somewhere else getting them fixed. After so much frustration and having heard all great things about the Maxima, specially since my brother had previously owned one (for about four months when it was stolen), I decided to buy one. In the short period of time my brother had his Maxima, he loved it, and encouraged me to get one. From the beginning I knew my Maxima was finally the one and that I had made the right choice among the other cars I looked at time of purchase.

Favorite Features

Its smoothness, silent engine, power, reliability, assemblage quality. Have owned the car for seven years now and have not had to replace any of its original parts yet; only maintenance parts, i.e. brakes, tires, air filter, etc.

Suggested Improvements

The only thing I suggest improvement is the radio knob. My car has the one where you turn right to raise volume and left to lower it. After three years just when the warrantee expired, the knob would just not work properly anymore.

Great Car
By John_Denver

1998 Nissan Maxima Sedan SE 4dr Sedan

I've only owned mine for a year and put around 19k on it but it's been a free ride so far. I have the 5 spd. Agree with someone else who complained it's not the easiest to drive smoothly but no complaints otherwise. I love the reliability (nothing has failed) and quality of materials/workmanship. It gets around 28 mpg and has plenty of power. Third gear is my favorite - it just keeps pulling. Suspension is a little soft - it doesn't track like my old 318i or GTI but sure is nice on the highway. I plan to drive it a long time.

Favorite Features

Engine, moonroof, Bose stereo, front end styling.

Suggested Improvements

Tighten suspension a little. I also find the seating position a little odd - the pedals are too far away relative to the steering wheel. Clutch is going and I've heard that this isn't unusual at this mileage. I think this could be improved.

Updated Review 3 yrs & 150K miles later
By GKLCPA

1998 Nissan Maxima Sedan GLE 4dr Sedan

I was just looking back through the various reviews when I noticed one I wrote in August 2002. Three years later, I still own the same Maxima which now has 150,000 miles on it. The car rides like the first day I got it and basically requires little other than basic maintenance. The vehicle has aged very well and I still highly satisfied with this purchase.

Favorite Features

Power, fuel efficiency and Bose sound system

Suggested Improvements

none that I can think of although I'm sure the new models have improved upon a number of things.