1998 Nissan Maxima - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Maxima model:
Excellent value for features and quality
By woow on 09/23/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Nissan Maxima SE 4dr Sedan

I wanted a powerful and sporty sedan that didn't seem too "young" and radically styled, that wasn't too common (i.e., Accord or Camry), was reliable, and that didn't look cheap...at less than $12K. So I just bought a loaded SE with 88000 miles, and it worked out great. With some detailing and wax, felt like I just bought a new car; the styling and features are still contemporary. The 190 hp engine is smooth--and is a nice balance of power and fuel efficiency. It cruises powerfully up hills and on the freeway.

Awesome Car
By jeallen on 09/13/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Nissan Maxima GXE 4dr Sedan

Always dreamed of owning a Maxima and my dreams came true in 99. Purchased a 98 GXE and have since added a spoiler which really increased the looks. Great car, runs like a top with 93K miles on it and going strong.

Luxurious Ride, Fun Drive
By heyphilly on 09/11/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Nissan Maxima GLE 4dr Sedan

I have had my Nissan Maxima GLE for over 4 years now, and it's performed like a beauty ever since. The engine is smooth and powerful, the interior is comfortable and luxurious, and the ride is smooth. Never had any troubles, except a small rattling fan which was replaced under warranty.

Competent sports sedan
By tdisalvo on 09/05/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Nissan Maxima SE 4dr Sedan

The Maxima satisfied many of my automotive needs. I needed a sedan but didn't want it to be ugly. I needed japanese reliability without sacrificing performance. I needed a 6- cylinder engine AND a manual transmission. I also needed an affordable price. The Maxima fills all of my requirements and does it with style. Nissan builts character & personality into their cars, something Honda/Acura should look into. Go test drive a 5-speed Maxima, you'll see what I mean.

Poor man's BMW
By Fishstick on 08/31/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Nissan Maxima SE 4dr Sedan

I bought my 98 SE (manual) last month and I love it. It is the best car for the money. It is extremely fun to drive, handles well under high speed cornering, and it's a great daily driver.

Maxima
By Reypsu on 08/28/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Nissan Maxima SE 4dr Sedan

This vehicle is a great deal. The performance is excellent and the styling is good.

Excellent Car
By pbacon3 on 08/22/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Nissan Maxima SE 4dr Sedan

I liked my first Maxima so much that I bought another. I am about to buy my third. I bought one in 1996, and another in 1998.

Best Vehicle I've ever had
By GKLCPA on 08/18/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Nissan Maxima GLE 4dr Sedan

Up to this point, I've never had any brand loyalty to any particular carm but that has changed with my purchase of a 1998 Maxima GLE. I have a 130 mile round trip daily commute and I wanted something reliable with power. The Maxima fits both bills more than adequately. For a car with so much power, it's surprisingly miserly when it comes to fuel usage. I routinely get 26+ miles to the gallon. I am quite pleased with this purchase and will likely be a committed Maxima owner for years to come (although the new Infiniti G35 looks interesting as well!).

Great long term car.
By jcopeland on 08/17/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Nissan Maxima SE 4dr Sedan

I bought the SE new in '98 and aside from one malfunctioning indicator light (under warranty), it has never needed a repair. I drive it pretty hard and it's yet to let me down. Only complaint is an occational vibration noise from the dash but the sound is very minor.

Excellent Daily Driver
By kwamdoo on 08/03/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Nissan Maxima GXE 4dr Sedan

I appreciate the sporty feel that the car gives you eventhough it's a four door sport sedan which feels as quick, nimble and agile as some two door coupes onthe market today. I'm not as tall as many men, but extremely wide across my shoulders. This car seememd to support my wide frame with its wide and supportive seats, rather than having my shoulders sitting out without any support like many other vehicles in its class. The interior design of the controls is somewhat bland, but all and all, is very easy to access while driving.