Used 1998 Nissan Maxima Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1998 Nissan Maxima - Consumer Reviews

1998 Nissan Maxima

View reviews for a specific Maxima model:

Excellent Car
By palaman

1998 Nissan Maxima GLE 4dr Sedan

I have owned this car for three years and I have only had to have the rear bearings changed, a new batery, new tires, and new sepentine belts. Just regular maintenance ... except for the bearings. Even though it's a '98 it is comfortable and very reliable. Recommended!!

Second Maxima
By Yelis63103

1998 Nissan Maxima SE 4dr Sedan

This is my second maxima. the first one was 1995 and was totaled with 165,000 miles on it. the car had almost NO problems. just a few oxygen sensors and a starter were replaced. even in mid 2006 this car is still considered to be powerfull and fast ! i have enough money to buy Benz or BMW, but i still drive this because in terms of reliability you can't even compare this car to Germans ! right now i have 105k miles and i have changed: 1 oxygen sensor, AC leak, and 1 caliper pin, and muffler ps. i drive my car hard but take care of it

Favorite Features

installed double-din navigation/dvd/mp3/cd player. GREAT STUFF! power. 5-speed tranny

Suggested Improvements

Suspension and the shifter is too long !

the max
By jamaicanlovrboy

1998 Nissan Maxima GXE 4dr Sedan

i jus recently bought my nissan maxima. i had a 89 bmw 325i before, and the maxima is cheaper to maintain. only problem i had so far is the rear calipers locked up on me. has a very responsive V6. this car has tons of dress-up, and performance parts. i've already changed my Y-pipe, intake and exhaust, lightweight flywheel, clutch, had my ECU flashed by JET, and oh man this baby moves. this car won't win a gas saver race, but i know i have fun buring the gas and hearing that 3.0 scream.

Favorite Features

my HID headlights, double din 7 inch monitor DVD/CD/NAV head unit.

Suggested Improvements

i wish they would make a rear wheel drive maxima. i hate torque steer. but i know that will never happen.

The 4 door sports car
By Chris Webber

1998 Nissan Maxima GXE 4dr Sedan

I bought this car used 3 years ago at 110,000 miles. It has been a great three years and I am now up to 150,000 miles on it. Then engine still is extremely strong and the cluth and trasmission have been just as durable. Car is alot of fun but I do wish I got the SE as it has more options than my GXE such as a sunroof and better suspension. The problems so far I have had are with the calipers which it has ate a few up the alternator, which was luckily replaced for free under recall. All in all this is a great car that has alot of power.

Favorite Features

V6 Engine is very responsive, roomy, reliable, great looking sedan

Suggested Improvements

Better gas mileage, bigger cupholders, other than that its fine.

1st non-US car owned
By maximum Maxima

1998 Nissan Maxima SE 4dr Sedan

47 yrs old and gave up on US cars. This car is really quite incredible. 3.0L V6 and it moves! Quiet and sporty, especially with my 215/55/16 tires. 98,000 miles on it but drives like 30K Exterior design may be a little dull but i just bought new front turn signal lights & rear tail lights to sport it up.

Favorite Features

Surprisingly fast AND quiet. BOSE stereo

Suggested Improvements

sport it up a bit (exterior)