1998 Nissan Maxima Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Maxima model:
Most reliable car I've ever driven
By spetxep on 01/08/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1998 Nissan Maxima Sedan GXE 4dr Sedan

I did not choose to purchase this car, but it has more than served it's purpose and I've never had any problems with it.

The Best Care for The Price Range
By Dave Zeitlin on 01/07/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1998 Nissan Maxima Sedan SE 4dr Sedan

Powerful, economical, and reliable. I looked at the Camry, Accord, and Maxima. The first two are very good cars but a little underpowered in my opinion. They also cost more. I feel that the Maxima is the best choice when considering performance and reliability v.s. price.

Reliable
By 99-Vette on 11/12/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1998 Nissan Maxima Sedan SE 4dr Sedan

This is the second Maxima that I've owned. This one has everything except leather. I bought it used with 27k miles and now have about 70k miles on it. If you are looking for reliability, look no further. The only complaint that I really have is the poor quality of brakes and rotors. The handeling could be improved a little too. It doesn't drive as smooth as I would have thought.

Great Car
By Damavr on 09/15/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Nissan Maxima Sedan GLE 4dr Sedan

Bought this Maxima in 1998. Got the top of the line (GLE) version with all the additional options (side air bags, heated seats, heavy duty battery, sunroof, spoiler, leather etc). It's a great car, I am still enjoying the ride and I don't even dream of trading it in since they will only give me around $10k and is definately worth a lot more.

Babji's Review
By Babji on 08/18/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Nissan Maxima Sedan GLE 4dr Sedan

The vehicle is really fun to drive. You love it when you overtake other vehicles at traffic lights and after tolls. One can really enjoy driving this vehicle. The contol of the vehicle and the road grip is pretty good. Though, the sound system claimed to be the premium quality, you would not find it extraordinary. The vehicle shakes a little when there are gusty winds.

MY SECOND MAXIMA
By Kolyan2k on 07/24/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Nissan Maxima Sedan SE 4dr Sedan

My second maxima. Went from '95, auto GXE to '98 SE, 5-speed, loaded w/GLE features. Still powerful even for cars that are poroduced in 2003. Extreamly reliable, still looks good outside as well as inside, equipped w/ nice features like: BOSE sound system, heated seats, ABS, auto climate control....

Maximas rule
By Maciek on 07/21/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Nissan Maxima Sedan GLE 4dr Sedan

I bought the car used, with 120K miles. Possitives: It is beautiful champagne outside and tan leather/black and wood dash. Bose is great, engine terrific, lots of room front and back, dash layout fantastic. Negatives: Electronics are extremely touchy, had to replace burnt fans for the radiator, HVAC is acting up (sometimes won't blow air) Overall great car. I would buy another one in a heartbeat.

The best car to-date I have owned.
By Rick Martinez on 07/15/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Nissan Maxima Sedan GXE 4dr Sedan

Excellent all-around vehicle. Great for all kinds of drivers whether you like speed, comfort, ride, performance, efficiency, comfort and quality. No manufacturer problems and smooth engine without surprises no matter how fast you drive it. The speed governor was unwelcome but I guess it helps bring down the price of insurance.

great value
By bladester on 05/13/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Nissan Maxima Sedan SE 4dr Sedan

This was the 1st Japanese vehicle I have ever owned and i'll never go back to the North American brand. I bought it used with 20,000m. I have put 55,000m and it's never had a wrench to it. Regular oil & filter. That's about it. It's still tight, engine runs like new. I could sell these cars for a living and enjoy every minute of my job I love it so much. Thanx Nissan for building such a great vehicle.

Good but doesn't quite make it
By DHG on 04/30/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Nissan Maxima Sedan GLE 4dr Sedan

The good stuff; powerful engine, good automatic, lots of luxo type features for just slightly an econobox price. Now the real stuff; problems with front end since day one. Selling dealer replaced front struts at approx. 25k, also needed new tires at same time. Didn't fix the problem. Different dealer replaced engine mounts at 30k, better but still rough and bumpy. Just put third set of struts on from private mechanic. Needs stableizer bushings. Can't believe Nissan didn't make a valet type lock/key system for their flagship car, and what about having to manually turn off headlights? What is the cost difference between a buzzer and a time delay switch?