Used 1998 Nissan Maxima Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1998 Nissan Maxima - Consumer Reviews

1998 Nissan Maxima

View reviews for a specific Maxima model:

First Car
By CTM

1998 Nissan Maxima GXE 4dr Sedan

The only problems I can recall having are with exhaust pieces rusting and falling off and with frozen rear calipers. I bought this car when I was a young man and, as it was my first car, it was easy for me to love its crazy, enthusiastic spirit and the surprising power of what I thought was just another dependable Japanese family sedan. A word of caution however. The GXE mixes the same big powerful engine as the pricier models with a tall and loose suspension, long-throw manual and no limited slip, sporty tires, ABS, traction or stability control. It instills a sense of adventure in me, not confidence.

Favorite Features

Power everything. Non-premium stereo (Clarion / Panasonic) still just fine. When I bought this car I was looking at Golfs and Accords and thought this car was the same as those. Its power surprised me.

Suggested Improvements

Things I improved on mine. Came as a base GXE. Previous owner had added a spoiler and black pinstripes (both great!). I added a factory CD/Cassette and factory front floor mats. It's power surprised me b/c I was looking at family sedans. If you are looking for a sports sedan, go with the SE.

Best car I've ever owned
By Todd Columbus

1998 Nissan Maxima SE 4dr Sedan

I've had more than 20 cars, and never owned one for more than 3 years before this car (9 years, >100,000). It's absolutely the perfect balance of acceptable family car, but an absolute thrill to drive, especially with the SE suspension and 5sp. I was contemplating trading it in, and I just can't do it. I've replaced the muffler, an O2 sensor, and the blower motor for the heat/AC. If you are contemplating buying a used Maxima, I strongly encourage you to go for it!

Favorite Features

Luxurious, plus five speed and performance. It's not the MOST luxurious and it's not the BEST performance, but it strikes a balance that's unrivaled.

max 6+ years
By dogz max

1998 Nissan Maxima SE 4dr Sedan

I've had my MAX since January 2000. It is a vehicle well worth buying. I've changed the oil, spark plugs, knock sensor, brakes, and timing belt. Unbelievable how I don't now the inside of dealership. Wish 2004 Max generation family had better reviews because I will stick with Nissan, just think about getting the Q45. I have 155,000 miles now and still runs almost as good as the day I bought it with 22,000 miles on it. I highly advise this car to anyone.

Favorite Features

Exterior is good for it's year, Engine is very solid and powerful.

Suggested Improvements

Standard radio buttons were easily broken but mine were under warranty but they replaced it with a refurb headunit.

Excellent Buy
By Dean

1998 Nissan Maxima SE 4dr Sedan

I purchased this car from a deal who priced it incorrectly at $4,900 (in 05 w/138k), what a steal. This is my second Maxima initially owning a 95. I have been completely sold on Nissan quality. The steering/ride is a nice mix of European "feeling the road" with some American "comfort/ease of use." Repairs are more costly than domestics, if you ever have to do them. The longevity of the mechanicals, fit and finish certainly bring the cost of ownership below American brands and certainly German makes. If you are comparing to Camry and/or Accord- you gain a great deal more fun, but lose a bit at the pump- I have maintained 25 mpg hwy- and premium is recommend- but I do med- grade at times.

Favorite Features

I love the powerful motor and smooth transmission. I don't know how many awards Nissan has won for this motor, but it is very impressive. I honestly can not believe I have 150k every part of the car is like new.

Suggested Improvements

A highway mpg of 30+ would be nice- with 87 oct. fuel! But I have absolutely nothing negative to say about the build, ride, repairs, or quality of the vehicle- I will probably always have one!

pile the miles on
By Tom

1998 Nissan Maxima SE 4dr Sedan

Bought this for a low cost commute for 800 miles/week. Bought it with 95K and after a year it's at 140K miles. I've had to replace O2 sensors, one spark coil, and half shafts (they weren't ready to fail but the boots were cracked) at a cumulative cost of about $900. The car still drives new, looks to be a couple of years old and gets about 28+ mpg. The performance has fallen off some but it is still fast. The handling and steering are as tight as a new car. Pretty amazing.