Used 1998 Nissan Maxima Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1998 Nissan Maxima - Consumer Reviews

1998 Nissan Maxima Sedan

View reviews for a specific Maxima model:

Love this car!
By Love it!

1998 Nissan Maxima Sedan GLE 4dr Sedan

This is the second Maxima I have owned. Just bought the 1998 GLE with all the extras, side airbags, climate control, etc, tan leather and pearl white exterior, fantastic car with 118,000 miles! Took my car to Vegas (900 miles) and never got tired of driving it! Thanks, Nissan!

Favorite Features

Climate control, pearlized paint, power everything, sunroof, power seats, heated seats, Bose stereo, just not enough room to list!

Suggested Improvements

Auto headlights, compass, outside temp., and automatic dimming mirror.

Best car ever owned!
By Jess

1998 Nissan Maxima Sedan GXE 4dr Sedan

I have owned my Maxima GXE for 7 years. This is by far the most reliable car I have ever owned. I have never had to have anything major done just normal replacements muffler, tires and brakes. I highly recommend this car to everyone. It's great to drive, comfortable and good on gas. I could go on and on about this car. I will drive it until it falls apart. It drives as if it were brand new and it has 140k miles on it.

Favorite Features

Comfort, style & reliability

Suggested Improvements

n/a

Great Car
By Nick

1998 Nissan Maxima Sedan SE 4dr Sedan

This car has been extremely reliable. I have never been stranded. Engine is fantastic even after 150k miles. I am glad I did some research on Edmunds. My only problems were a bad oxygen sensor, a bad knock sensor, and the fan switch only works on high. I still drive with these problems but hope to fix them soon even though they are minor. This car is the best bang for your buck!

Favorite Features

Huge trunk, 5 spd, V6 engine, roomy interior, reliability, comfortable seats, great looks for a car that is almost 10 years old, spoiler, and handling.

Suggested Improvements

Exhaust is a little shaky, but it's been over lots of bumpy roads. Oxygen sensors should last longer. That's about it.

Rock Solid Fun
By Dean

1998 Nissan Maxima Sedan GLE 4dr Sedan

This is actually my second Maxima and I am a true believer. Having owned Toyotas and Hondas which are also great, these are the best sedans made. The style is attractive and fresh despite its age (10 years)! It has great acceleration and spunk, but I average an easy 25+ mpg. in combination driving. After two years and nearly 35k miles, I have only replaced the alternator, tires and oil. The interior is plush and refined, but can handle kids, spills and mud always cleaning nicely. The engine and transmission show no signs of slowing down, and I have no strange clanging noises or tired groans. The body refuses rust and the doors still thump shut like new. I just could not be more pleased.

Favorite Features

Definitely the performance/economy aspect. I purchased this vehicle for $4900 in late 05, and believe that is the best deal I will ever see on a car. It is so smooth, powerful, fast and "cool" but gets decent mileage and just does not break down.

Suggested Improvements

I would like the cruise control fixtures to all be in one spot, preferably on the steering wheel. One must push a button on the dash then adjust the controls and that is a bit bothersome. But other than that I would not change a thing!

Best Car I've Owned
By Best Ever

1998 Nissan Maxima Sedan SE 4dr Sedan

Bought a new 98 Maxima SE 5spd to replace a BMW 525. I've driven 215k miles and the only non-wear item replaced has been the alternator! Still has the original clutch, second set of spark-plugs, and second set of brake pads. I drive mostly highway and average 26 mpg. It seems to have a perfect blend of economy and performance, and I couldn't be happier!

Favorite Features

Climate control. Bose stereo.

Suggested Improvements

Shorter throw shifter. Seems like it isn't connected to anything.