1998 Nissan Maxima - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Maxima model:
family sports sedan
By pa funk on 08/27/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Nissan Maxima SE 4dr Sedan

Bought it 2 years ago used with 30K miles, and it has been the best car I've owned. It drives great, and is bombproof as far as reliability. Tight handling and, as it is loaded, a fairly plush ride. The Bose stereo is great!

go maxima for maximum performance
By g-mann on 08/20/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Nissan Maxima GXE 4dr Sedan

The maxima is one of the best cars i have ever owned, besides the visible fact that it can be a little hard on gas, its performance and comfort is worth every dollar of fuel you invest in. The maxima is also very reliable but that can also be said for most nissan products. If you like to put a vehicle to the test and be considered as one of the fastest on the street but still want to hide performance parts or give your mother or grandmother something to take grocery shopping, the nissan maxima is the car for you.

Black Max
By SuperBlack on 07/26/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Nissan Maxima SE 4dr Sedan

Really got used to the SE firm suspension, it rides fairly low and sports carish. The power is great when the knock sensor isn't on the fritz. Milage is great for a V6 I think we averaged almost 30mpg on our last trip. We looked and looked for a 5-speed and when we finally found a good one we snagged it. Now I know why they are so rare. If you could drop a Honda 5- speed in the max it would be great but I'd pass on Nissan's manual. The car shifts like a 1-ton Ford, long throw, linkage by "Gumby", it is impossible to drive smoothly, and I've had standard trannys all my life.

Great all around sedan.
By MBowen574 on 06/13/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Nissan Maxima GXE 4dr Sedan

Bought a 1998 Maxima GXE in Jan. 2004 w/ 128,000 miles. Perfect! I wouldn't own any other car (this is my first car). It gets all the ladies, even though it is purple (maroon) and has wheel covers. I love everything about it. I don't want to sell it. About $100 in repairs in 4,000 miles on a well-used 6 year old car! And that includes $60 for its first brake rotor replacement. This car's virtues are simply too numerous for words.

Love it!
By Shmegan on 04/30/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Nissan Maxima SE 4dr Sedan

Bought a black SE w/ leather and manual tranny last year. I've driven it hard and it hasn't let me down yet. For the money, there is nothing that could've touched this in performance, comfort and looks. I recommend switching to synthetic oil, platinum spark plugs and don't even think about using 89 octane gas. (Something to consider before buying with gas prices what they are.)

Fun family car.
By 14a10 on 04/08/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Nissan Maxima GXE 4dr Sedan

This car is a fun to drive family car. I really enjoy the handleing and acceleration. I bought this car used, and after a couple months the engine would blow blue smoke on accelerating. A new engine later (warrany replacement) and I am one happy camper. I am 6'6", I feel a little cramped, but they really don't make a car for my size.

Reliable Car
By RoadWarrior1 on 02/03/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1998 Nissan Maxima SE 4dr Sedan

Purchased the car used with 22,000 miles and am still driving it with 150,000 miles. Everyday reliability with minor maintenance (leaking power steering fluid, brakes). Still fun to drive.

Can't Be Beat!
By CMC on 02/02/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1998 Nissan Maxima GXE 4dr Sedan

I've never even used the warranty! Outstanding car!! Great performance, comfort and overall abilities. This car has never let me down. I've got well over 100,000 miles and am yet to take it anywhere for any repair. I tell people that it's 5 years old and they are amazed. It shines like new, and it's been waxed only 2 times in 5 years. It gets great mileage and still performs like a champ. Just be sure to use premium fuel and the engine will run smooth (premium fuel is required for this car). A/C is still ice cold and everything works fine. This car wears down very lightly. It just doesn't show much age. This is probably the best Nissan has ever built.

BEST MAX EVER
By TheMax on 02/01/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1998 Nissan Maxima SE 4dr Sedan

I've had a lot of Maximas in my life time. I've had a 1989 Maxima GXE, 1992 Maxima GXE, 1995 GXE, 1996 SE, And Finally a 1998 SE. These cars have been the best cars I've ever owned. I've owned Hondas, Acuras, Toyota ect. And the Nissan's have been my favorite. I'm 19 years old and i still have more cars to go, but the maximas are by far my favorite. The performance is excellent, handling and suspension is out of this world the car is just all in all great. Easy to work on and very fun to drive.

Most bang for the buck
By maxpa on 01/11/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1998 Nissan Maxima GLE 4dr Sedan

I've owned the car for 2 years and put on 40,000 kms in that time. The best car i've owned. The HP and torque make for snappy performance and the interior is luxurious and comfortable. The driver side airbag module was replaced under warranty (~$500 CAD), and the alternator was replaced under a recall. Other than that I haven't been to the dealership for anything.