1998 Nissan Maxima - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Maxima model:
First Car
By CTM on 09/03/07 00:52 AM (PDT)

1998 Nissan Maxima GXE 4dr Sedan

The only problems I can recall having are with exhaust pieces rusting and falling off and with frozen rear calipers. I bought this car when I was a young man and, as it was my first car, it was easy for me to love its crazy, enthusiastic spirit and the surprising power of what I thought was just another dependable Japanese family sedan. A word of caution however. The GXE mixes the same big powerful engine as the pricier models with a tall and loose suspension, long-throw manual and no limited slip, sporty tires, ABS, traction or stability control. It instills a sense of adventure in me, not confidence.

Best car I've ever owned
By Todd Columbus on 06/01/07 18:11 PM (PDT)

1998 Nissan Maxima SE 4dr Sedan

I've had more than 20 cars, and never owned one for more than 3 years before this car (9 years, >100,000). It's absolutely the perfect balance of acceptable family car, but an absolute thrill to drive, especially with the SE suspension and 5sp. I was contemplating trading it in, and I just can't do it. I've replaced the muffler, an O2 sensor, and the blower motor for the heat/AC. If you are contemplating buying a used Maxima, I strongly encourage you to go for it!

max 6+ years
By dogz max on 09/26/06 10:36 AM (PDT)

1998 Nissan Maxima SE 4dr Sedan

I've had my MAX since January 2000. It is a vehicle well worth buying. I've changed the oil, spark plugs, knock sensor, brakes, and timing belt. Unbelievable how I don't now the inside of dealership. Wish 2004 Max generation family had better reviews because I will stick with Nissan, just think about getting the Q45. I have 155,000 miles now and still runs almost as good as the day I bought it with 22,000 miles on it. I highly advise this car to anyone.

Excellent Buy
By Dean on 08/14/06 08:56 AM (PDT)

1998 Nissan Maxima SE 4dr Sedan

I purchased this car from a deal who priced it incorrectly at $4,900 (in 05 w/138k), what a steal. This is my second Maxima initially owning a 95. I have been completely sold on Nissan quality. The steering/ride is a nice mix of European "feeling the road" with some American "comfort/ease of use." Repairs are more costly than domestics, if you ever have to do them. The longevity of the mechanicals, fit and finish certainly bring the cost of ownership below American brands and certainly German makes. If you are comparing to Camry and/or Accord- you gain a great deal more fun, but lose a bit at the pump- I have maintained 25 mpg hwy- and premium is recommend- but I do med- grade at times.

pile the miles on
By Tom on 07/25/06 16:40 PM (PDT)

1998 Nissan Maxima SE 4dr Sedan

Bought this for a low cost commute for 800 miles/week. Bought it with 95K and after a year it's at 140K miles. I've had to replace O2 sensors, one spark coil, and half shafts (they weren't ready to fail but the boots were cracked) at a cumulative cost of about $900. The car still drives new, looks to be a couple of years old and gets about 28+ mpg. The performance has fallen off some but it is still fast. The handling and steering are as tight as a new car. Pretty amazing.

Excellent Car
By palaman on 06/23/06 08:27 AM (PDT)

1998 Nissan Maxima GLE 4dr Sedan

I have owned this car for three years and I have only had to have the rear bearings changed, a new batery, new tires, and new sepentine belts. Just regular maintenance ... except for the bearings. Even though it's a '98 it is comfortable and very reliable. Recommended!!

Second Maxima
By Yelis63103 on 06/11/06 19:32 PM (PDT)

1998 Nissan Maxima SE 4dr Sedan

This is my second maxima. the first one was 1995 and was totaled with 165,000 miles on it. the car had almost NO problems. just a few oxygen sensors and a starter were replaced. even in mid 2006 this car is still considered to be powerfull and fast ! i have enough money to buy Benz or BMW, but i still drive this because in terms of reliability you can't even compare this car to Germans ! right now i have 105k miles and i have changed: 1 oxygen sensor, AC leak, and 1 caliper pin, and muffler ps. i drive my car hard but take care of it

the max
By jamaicanlovrboy on 03/02/06 16:12 PM (PST)

1998 Nissan Maxima GXE 4dr Sedan

i jus recently bought my nissan maxima. i had a 89 bmw 325i before, and the maxima is cheaper to maintain. only problem i had so far is the rear calipers locked up on me. has a very responsive V6. this car has tons of dress-up, and performance parts. i've already changed my Y-pipe, intake and exhaust, lightweight flywheel, clutch, had my ECU flashed by JET, and oh man this baby moves. this car won't win a gas saver race, but i know i have fun buring the gas and hearing that 3.0 scream.

The 4 door sports car
By Chris Webber on 02/18/06 21:30 PM (PST)

1998 Nissan Maxima GXE 4dr Sedan

I bought this car used 3 years ago at 110,000 miles. It has been a great three years and I am now up to 150,000 miles on it. Then engine still is extremely strong and the cluth and trasmission have been just as durable. Car is alot of fun but I do wish I got the SE as it has more options than my GXE such as a sunroof and better suspension. The problems so far I have had are with the calipers which it has ate a few up the alternator, which was luckily replaced for free under recall. All in all this is a great car that has alot of power.

1st non-US car owned
By maximum Maxima on 02/04/06 20:19 PM (PST)

1998 Nissan Maxima SE 4dr Sedan

47 yrs old and gave up on US cars. This car is really quite incredible. 3.0L V6 and it moves! Quiet and sporty, especially with my 215/55/16 tires. 98,000 miles on it but drives like 30K Exterior design may be a little dull but i just bought new front turn signal lights & rear tail lights to sport it up.