1998 Nissan Maxima Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Maxima model:
Great and reliable
By reggaedg on 09/19/12 17:02 PM (PDT)

1998 Nissan Maxima Sedan GLE 4dr Sedan

Got this car from a friend 18 months ago, car was sitting for a year. This car has 268,000 miles on it and you could walk by it and not know that the engine was running. Installed new brakes and rotors and a paint job. Car now looks and run like new. Love the car, very reliable and the gas mileage is excellent for a 6 cylinder. Step on the gas and this car will launch you in a new dimension. The ride is tight, well it is a 4 door sport car after all. This car is fun to drive and if you plan to lend it to someone be certain to advise them on the quick throttle response. They could get a whiplash on take off.

Super comfortable!
By jwhizzz on 10/18/11 07:47 AM (PDT)

1998 Nissan Maxima Sedan GLE 4dr Sedan

I've had a lot of cars, and this was by far the most comfortable vehicle I've ever had. I was the third owner and at 136K miles, it was totaled after being t-boned but still drives great (wow!). I had a problem with my airbag light flashing, but didn't worry about it. Smoothest ride EVER - great for road trips, and fine in my old neighborhood with street dips. No little annoyances like in so many other vehicles. Keep up with maintenance, and you'll be so happy with this car. Highly recommend.

i do not like it
By clarkoii on 09/16/11 19:29 PM (PDT)

1998 Nissan Maxima Sedan GLE 4dr Sedan

my first car was a 98 maxima GLE, not a big fan. it had trans problems every 2 or three years. my ford now is the best car i have ever had. still have that maxima for some reason i can't throw it away

Old but strong
By radiohead on 10/16/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Nissan Maxima Sedan GLE 4dr Sedan

This car was purchased from my sister at 245k and it sat around for 6 months prior to that. In my mind I didn't expect to much out of it because of it was a foreign car (Chevy born and raised) but this car truly did surprise me. The handling was a little shifty but the power of the V6 held its own against a Mustang I must say. This is a solid, well built car with a great ride and excellent power. Even though it sad around for 6 months, once the cob webs were blown off, she shined like a diamond performance wise. The only problems I've faced is repair cost and what others have done to it.

Wouldn't Trade Her For Anything!
By KMac on 05/14/10 22:50 PM (PDT)

1998 Nissan Maxima Sedan GLE 4dr Sedan

I Love my car! I bought her in 2005 with 108k. I immediately fell in love with his car and still love driving her. My Maxima is loaded with all the options. I absolutely love the climate control and Bose Sound! The interior design is beautiful- not cheap looking like the newer Maximas are. I feel totally safe driving this car- not to mention the smooth and powerful ride she gives. I now have 184k on her and have only had to do some basic maintenance. I am so impressed with this car. This was such a great purchase. I plan on driving her til she dies (which I don't anticipate being anytime soon!) I average 21 city, 28 hwy, and around 31 on long distance trips

Over 50
By Over 50 on 05/10/10 20:54 PM (PDT)

1998 Nissan Maxima Sedan GLE 4dr Sedan

I'm over 50 and the second owner of a 1998 Nissan Max. With 116k miles she's beats most new cars on the road in what matters. Easy to drive, comfortable and can get out of it's own way. Sold the Chrysler and glad I did. Went to lunch in a newer Maxima and nope - not the same as my 1998. I've owned more makes than they'll allow me to type here and I'm happy with my 98 Max. I do miss my 1976 Eldo Barritz a little. :)

Terrific Car
By codemeister16 on 04/05/10 09:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Nissan Maxima Sedan GLE 4dr Sedan

Bought this car last year with about 92000 mi. very dependable, crashed the front passenger side quarter and it still runs as good as the day i got it. haven't had any trouble with it so far except an oil change and new brake pads.

I really loved this car
By Wendell on 06/24/09 18:20 PM (PDT)

1998 Nissan Maxima Sedan GLE 4dr Sedan

I bought this car in Sept. 08 and it is now June. The car had 192,000 and now has 224,000. In spite of that the only things I did to the car was update the tires and a couple of oil changes and the car runs GREAT. I love the powerful engine and the trany. I'm on the road all day for work and this car makes my job more enjoyable. Even though I didn't get it with leather seats, a cd player, sun roof or any other luxuries I am crazy about this car. Who knows... if I were to get a car with all the other luxuries... I might lose my mind :).

Love Hate
By dizizbex24z on 04/10/09 19:19 PM (PDT)

1998 Nissan Maxima Sedan GLE 4dr Sedan

I have a dark green maxima. I really love my car but it keeps presenting me with problems. One thing I really hate that ive found on at least 2 other maximas is that the back of the car always sways from side to side when I hit a bump. I don't like other people driving it because I don't know if they know how to handle it. I also added green lights in the footwell and they look Nice.

Exceptional Car
By Kevin on 01/03/09 13:15 PM (PST)

1998 Nissan Maxima Sedan GLE 4dr Sedan

This is the most remarkable car I have owned in the past 30 years. I bought used in 2001 with 40K on the clock. Since then I have put 195K more miles on it without any major repairs. The engine and tranny continue to purr. Only had to replace the wearable parts (brakes and oil changes). Finally replaced the exhaust for the first time at 190K. Needed an alternator at 180K.