Used 1998 Nissan Maxima Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1998 Nissan Maxima Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Maxima model:

Great and reliable
By reggaedg

1998 Nissan Maxima Sedan GLE 4dr Sedan

Got this car from a friend 18 months ago, car was sitting for a year. This car has 268,000 miles on it and you could walk by it and not know that the engine was running. Installed new brakes and rotors and a paint job. Car now looks and run like new. Love the car, very reliable and the gas mileage is excellent for a 6 cylinder. Step on the gas and this car will launch you in a new dimension. The ride is tight, well it is a 4 door sport car after all. This car is fun to drive and if you plan to lend it to someone be certain to advise them on the quick throttle response. They could get a whiplash on take off.

Flawless engine and transmission performance, and comfortable ride.

None.....

Super comfortable!
By jwhizzz

1998 Nissan Maxima Sedan GLE 4dr Sedan

I've had a lot of cars, and this was by far the most comfortable vehicle I've ever had. I was the third owner and at 136K miles, it was totaled after being t-boned but still drives great (wow!). I had a problem with my airbag light flashing, but didn't worry about it. Smoothest ride EVER - great for road trips, and fine in my old neighborhood with street dips. No little annoyances like in so many other vehicles. Keep up with maintenance, and you'll be so happy with this car. Highly recommend.

Large trunk, smooth ride, good get-up on onto highway, comfortable seats, rear window defrost, good sound, seat warmers, automatic windows, sunroof.

Keyless entry, MP3 hookups, more durable leather on bucket seats (leather shows very bad damage on my vehicle).

i do not like it
By clarkoii

1998 Nissan Maxima Sedan GLE 4dr Sedan

my first car was a 98 maxima GLE, not a big fan. it had trans problems every 2 or three years. my ford now is the best car i have ever had. still have that maxima for some reason i can't throw it away

Old but strong
By radiohead

1998 Nissan Maxima Sedan GLE 4dr Sedan

This car was purchased from my sister at 245k and it sat around for 6 months prior to that. In my mind I didn't expect to much out of it because of it was a foreign car (Chevy born and raised) but this car truly did surprise me. The handling was a little shifty but the power of the V6 held its own against a Mustang I must say. This is a solid, well built car with a great ride and excellent power. Even though it sad around for 6 months, once the cob webs were blown off, she shined like a diamond performance wise. The only problems I've faced is repair cost and what others have done to it.

Love the power, the ride is very smooth and is easy to stand all day.

Easier repairs, changing the oil was hassle because of the plastic guarding around the engine. Also, if parts were a little cheaper, I think I'd have it made (i.e: 30 bucks for the sway bar linkage)

Wouldn't Trade Her For Anything!
By KMac

1998 Nissan Maxima Sedan GLE 4dr Sedan

I Love my car! I bought her in 2005 with 108k. I immediately fell in love with his car and still love driving her. My Maxima is loaded with all the options. I absolutely love the climate control and Bose Sound! The interior design is beautiful- not cheap looking like the newer Maximas are. I feel totally safe driving this car- not to mention the smooth and powerful ride she gives. I now have 184k on her and have only had to do some basic maintenance. I am so impressed with this car. This was such a great purchase. I plan on driving her til she dies (which I don't anticipate being anytime soon!) I average 21 city, 28 hwy, and around 31 on long distance trips

Bose Sound, Climate Control, Dual Heated Power Seats, Great Gas Mileage, Good Interior Room, Decent Trunk Space, 6 CD Changer, Fun-To-Drive 3.0 V6.

Make me a brand new Maxima exactly like my '98.