1998 Nissan Maxima - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Maxima model:
First Car
By Carter on 02/15/10 09:02 AM (PST)

1998 Nissan Maxima GXE 4dr Sedan

While there is a special place in my heart for this car, I can't recommend the GXE. With such a powerful engine, the car was all over the place. The extra handling power of the SE is necessary. I loved the way this car looked, inside and out, especially with the spoiler. Interior materials felt premium to me. Loved the beige velour seats. It was pretty well equipped for a base model with no options.

My Best Car
By Nissan3 on 07/08/09 11:23 AM (PDT)

1998 Nissan Maxima GXE 4dr Sedan

I have owned approximately 20 cars in my lifetime including 7 new cars. The Maxima is the best car I've ever owned. It is comfortable and very reliable. I average 25 MPG overall and get 27-31 MPG on the freeway. Replaced front brake pads @ 90,000 and the rear brake pads at 135,000. Regular oil, filter & air filter changes are completed. Also installed one new battery so far but no other problems. The car currently has 138,000+ miles and purrs like a kitten. Overall - it's a great car. I plan on driving it until it drops.

Pay Close Attention to this review
By Luv Maxima on 06/07/09 06:17 AM (PDT)

1998 Nissan Maxima GXE 4dr Sedan

Bought mine from 1st owner with 180K miles for $1700. Replaced the struts within 3 months and have only put brakes and an $85 part that controls trans shifting since then ( now have 215K). This car and drivetrain is absolutely bulletproof! (just change the oil using synthetic oil). If trans starts shifting hard it IS NOT the trans going bad, but a cheap little part just behind the battery that ANYONE can replace themselves (talk to dealer as they keep them in stock since they fail frequently on the 3.0 24V engine). Rides a little stiff but handles like a vette with GOOD Tires on it... QUICK as he%$, and I don't even drive that fast....

Keep on giving me check engine lights
By nissan_no_good on 05/19/09 11:30 AM (PDT)

1998 Nissan Maxima GXE 4dr Sedan

Don't know if I'm just unlucky on this car or what, starting around 80k miles, check engine light keeps on coming back, I replaced 4 o2 sensors so far (the 1st one was actually around 50k miles), now the check engine is on again for p0325. Since then I've spent more than $5000 repairing o2 sensor and other issues. Every time I tell myself this is a good car, this is the last time I'll need to spend big money on it. It just never stops. I'm selling it now.

Masterpiece.. Best in it's class..
By DoN RaB on 08/20/08 18:27 PM (PDT)

1998 Nissan Maxima GXE 4dr Sedan

I bought this car with 55,000 miles in 2004. I now have 112,000 in 2008. Rock solid performance from this vehicle. No major mechanical problems to date. I will take this Maxima to its grave. This car will take better care of you than your own mama! Get the fully loaded model and drive it as far as you can. I do regret not getting the leather, sunroof, woodgrain, and digital ac. But those upgrades are all optional.

Best car ever owned!
By Jess on 03/31/08 19:09 PM (PDT)

1998 Nissan Maxima GXE 4dr Sedan

I have owned my Maxima GXE for 7 years. This is by far the most reliable car I have ever owned. I have never had to have anything major done just normal replacements muffler, tires and brakes. I highly recommend this car to everyone. It's great to drive, comfortable and good on gas. I could go on and on about this car. I will drive it until it falls apart. It drives as if it were brand new and it has 140k miles on it.

First Car
By CTM on 09/03/07 00:52 AM (PDT)

1998 Nissan Maxima GXE 4dr Sedan

The only problems I can recall having are with exhaust pieces rusting and falling off and with frozen rear calipers. I bought this car when I was a young man and, as it was my first car, it was easy for me to love its crazy, enthusiastic spirit and the surprising power of what I thought was just another dependable Japanese family sedan. A word of caution however. The GXE mixes the same big powerful engine as the pricier models with a tall and loose suspension, long-throw manual and no limited slip, sporty tires, ABS, traction or stability control. It instills a sense of adventure in me, not confidence.

the max
By jamaicanlovrboy on 03/02/06 16:12 PM (PST)

1998 Nissan Maxima GXE 4dr Sedan

i jus recently bought my nissan maxima. i had a 89 bmw 325i before, and the maxima is cheaper to maintain. only problem i had so far is the rear calipers locked up on me. has a very responsive V6. this car has tons of dress-up, and performance parts. i've already changed my Y-pipe, intake and exhaust, lightweight flywheel, clutch, had my ECU flashed by JET, and oh man this baby moves. this car won't win a gas saver race, but i know i have fun buring the gas and hearing that 3.0 scream.

The 4 door sports car
By Chris Webber on 02/18/06 21:30 PM (PST)

1998 Nissan Maxima GXE 4dr Sedan

I bought this car used 3 years ago at 110,000 miles. It has been a great three years and I am now up to 150,000 miles on it. Then engine still is extremely strong and the cluth and trasmission have been just as durable. Car is alot of fun but I do wish I got the SE as it has more options than my GXE such as a sunroof and better suspension. The problems so far I have had are with the calipers which it has ate a few up the alternator, which was luckily replaced for free under recall. All in all this is a great car that has alot of power.

sure bet
By fabdog on 06/26/05 19:17 PM (PDT)

1998 Nissan Maxima GXE 4dr Sedan

First car that after 2 years of owning it, I still enjoy driving. Great gas mileage on trips averaging 30 MPG on recent trip. Can't ask for much better with the power you have at your disposal. I highly recommend this car. GM eat your heart out.