1998 Nissan Maxima - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Maxima model:
Great and reliable
By reggaedg on 09/19/12 17:02 PM (PDT)

1998 Nissan Maxima GLE 4dr Sedan

Got this car from a friend 18 months ago, car was sitting for a year. This car has 268,000 miles on it and you could walk by it and not know that the engine was running. Installed new brakes and rotors and a paint job. Car now looks and run like new. Love the car, very reliable and the gas mileage is excellent for a 6 cylinder. Step on the gas and this car will launch you in a new dimension. The ride is tight, well it is a 4 door sport car after all. This car is fun to drive and if you plan to lend it to someone be certain to advise them on the quick throttle response. They could get a whiplash on take off.

Super comfortable!
By jwhizzz on 10/18/11 07:47 AM (PDT)

1998 Nissan Maxima GLE 4dr Sedan

I've had a lot of cars, and this was by far the most comfortable vehicle I've ever had. I was the third owner and at 136K miles, it was totaled after being t-boned but still drives great (wow!). I had a problem with my airbag light flashing, but didn't worry about it. Smoothest ride EVER - great for road trips, and fine in my old neighborhood with street dips. No little annoyances like in so many other vehicles. Keep up with maintenance, and you'll be so happy with this car. Highly recommend.

i do not like it
By clarkoii on 09/16/11 19:29 PM (PDT)

1998 Nissan Maxima GLE 4dr Sedan

my first car was a 98 maxima GLE, not a big fan. it had trans problems every 2 or three years. my ford now is the best car i have ever had. still have that maxima for some reason i can't throw it away

Old but strong
By radiohead on 10/16/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Nissan Maxima GLE 4dr Sedan

This car was purchased from my sister at 245k and it sat around for 6 months prior to that. In my mind I didn't expect to much out of it because of it was a foreign car (Chevy born and raised) but this car truly did surprise me. The handling was a little shifty but the power of the V6 held its own against a Mustang I must say. This is a solid, well built car with a great ride and excellent power. Even though it sad around for 6 months, once the cob webs were blown off, she shined like a diamond performance wise. The only problems I've faced is repair cost and what others have done to it.

Wouldn't Trade Her For Anything!
By KMac on 05/14/10 22:50 PM (PDT)

1998 Nissan Maxima GLE 4dr Sedan

I Love my car! I bought her in 2005 with 108k. I immediately fell in love with his car and still love driving her. My Maxima is loaded with all the options. I absolutely love the climate control and Bose Sound! The interior design is beautiful- not cheap looking like the newer Maximas are. I feel totally safe driving this car- not to mention the smooth and powerful ride she gives. I now have 184k on her and have only had to do some basic maintenance. I am so impressed with this car. This was such a great purchase. I plan on driving her til she dies (which I don't anticipate being anytime soon!) I average 21 city, 28 hwy, and around 31 on long distance trips

Over 50
By Over 50 on 05/10/10 20:54 PM (PDT)

1998 Nissan Maxima GLE 4dr Sedan

I'm over 50 and the second owner of a 1998 Nissan Max. With 116k miles she's beats most new cars on the road in what matters. Easy to drive, comfortable and can get out of it's own way. Sold the Chrysler and glad I did. Went to lunch in a newer Maxima and nope - not the same as my 1998. I've owned more makes than they'll allow me to type here and I'm happy with my 98 Max. I do miss my 1976 Eldo Barritz a little. :)

Terrific Car
By codemeister16 on 04/05/10 09:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Nissan Maxima GLE 4dr Sedan

Bought this car last year with about 92000 mi. very dependable, crashed the front passenger side quarter and it still runs as good as the day i got it. haven't had any trouble with it so far except an oil change and new brake pads.

Our favorite car of all
By Ralph on 04/01/10 18:07 PM (PDT)

1998 Nissan Maxima SE 4dr Sedan

We bought it used at 11k miles, and it is now at around 168k miles. We had 2 Maxima before this one-a 78 and an 81. We have had outstanding reliability experience with all three. Ours is the SE model with heated leather seats (which my wife loves). The engine has plenty of power, and it gets fairly good mileage for the performance level. Our average has been about 25 MPG, and up to around 30 MPG on long summer trips. I do the routine preventative maintenance consistently, and we have had no reliability problems at all. Everything works as expected and nothing falls apart repeatedly like the domestic autos we owned in the gap between our 81 Maxima and the 98 we have now.

An oldie but goodie
By Mark Hoffman on 03/31/10 13:28 PM (PDT)

1998 Nissan Maxima SE 4dr Sedan

Have owned my '98 Maxima for just over two years. I purchased it from a family member with only 51,000 miles on the odometer. The car has been reliable and fun to drive. It's a great interstate hauler having made four trips between Indiana and Texas over the last year. The car is very comfortable to drive and the handling is superb. One of its greatest attributes is its almost 360 degree driver visibility. Blind spots are practically non-existent. Highway mileage is great at 30 mpg, but city driving tends to consume a lot of fuel. The only mechanical problem has been a fluid leak in the power steering.

First Car
By Carter on 02/15/10 09:02 AM (PST)

1998 Nissan Maxima GXE 4dr Sedan

While there is a special place in my heart for this car, I can't recommend the GXE. With such a powerful engine, the car was all over the place. The extra handling power of the SE is necessary. I loved the way this car looked, inside and out, especially with the spoiler. Interior materials felt premium to me. Loved the beige velour seats. It was pretty well equipped for a base model with no options.