UPDATE TO BEST MAX EVER
By jerrymax on
1997 Nissan Maxima GLE 4dr Sedan
Just wanted to update the review I wrote back in March 2008 about my 1997 Maxima GLE. At that time I had 154k on the odometer. Last week the car turned 200k for another 46,000 miles worth of trouble-free driving. This car amazes me. I've driven it up and down the East Coast from Maine to North Carolina in all kinds of weather, it is NEVER garaged, yet it still looks like new. It has not had a tune-up in 82,000 miles [had platinum plugs put in] but it always starts and still moves like a rocket when I tap the accelerator. I'm really planning on getting another 200,000 miles out this car and will be happy to drive it the rest of my life if at all possible. I love my Maxima!
Favorite Features
The climate control still works perfectly and is very easy to use. Unlike the complex electronics on some new European cars, you can master anything on the '97 Maxima's dashboard in 60 seconds. The motor is a jewel, smooth and powerful, and I love the way the car hugs the road. I feel very safe and in control when driving this car.
Suggested Improvements
Well it is too late to "improve" this car, since they ended this model after 1999, but my only complaint would be that the Bose sound system stopped working around five years ago. I installed an after-market system that still uses the old Bose speakers, which still have an awesome sound. As I said last time, I think Nissan made the perfect mid-sized sedan with this Maxima, and I might add that although Honda and Toyota appear to be the darlings of the automotive world, I've owned both and I think their reliability is highly over-rated compared to Nissan and that Nissan builds a better car.