UPDATE TO BEST MAX EVER
By jerrymax on
1997 Nissan Maxima
Just wanted to update the review I wrote back in March 2008 about my 1997 Maxima GLE. At that time I had 154k on the odometer. Last week the car turned 200k for another 46,000 miles worth of trouble-free driving. This car amazes me. I've driven it up and down the East Coast from Maine to North Carolina in all kinds of weather, it is NEVER garaged, yet it still looks like new. It has not had a tune-up in 82,000 miles [had platinum plugs put in] but it always starts and still moves like a rocket when I tap the accelerator. I'm really planning on getting another 200,000 miles out this car and will be happy to drive it the rest of my life if at all possible. I love my Maxima!
Favorite Features
The climate control still works perfectly and is very easy to use. Unlike the complex electronics on some new European cars, you can master anything on the '97 Maxima's dashboard in 60 seconds. The motor is a jewel, smooth and powerful, and I love the way the car hugs the road. I feel very safe and in control when driving this car.
Suggested Improvements
Well it is too late to "improve" this car, since they ended this model after 1999, but my only complaint would be that the Bose sound system stopped working around five years ago. I installed an after-market system that still uses the old Bose speakers, which still have an awesome sound. As I said last time, I think Nissan made the perfect mid-sized sedan with this Maxima, and I might add that although Honda and Toyota appear to be the darlings of the automotive world, I've owned both and I think their reliability is highly over-rated compared to Nissan and that Nissan builds a better car.
By jerrymax
on 05/18/14 09:30 AM (PDT)

Just an update to my update of 2/26/11. It is now May 2014, more than three years later, and my 1997 Maxima still runs like a racehorse. I now have 227,000 miles on the odometer and just last weekend I took it on an 804 mile round trip from Long Island to upstate New York and it ran flawlessly. I also own an Xterra that I use as a daily driver, preserving my Max as mostly a road trip vehicle, but everything I said before about this amazing car still stands. I've been driving for 48 years, owned my first car in 1966 and have had a dozen more since then, and this is by far the best and most reliable vehicle I have ever owned. I hope to own it for the rest of my life and continue driving this car till the day I die. She still looks almost new and I do not envy anyone I see on the road no matter what wheels they are riding on.