1997 Nissan Maxima Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Maxima model:
Sold on Maxima's
By bgrimme on 05/01/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Nissan Maxima Sedan SE 4dr Sedan

This car still rides, runs and looks like brand new at 141,000 miles. It's also the most dependable car I've ever driven. It still has the original exhaust system on it! Besides normal maintance items the only things that I've had to fix were the A/C and an Oxygen sensor and that was in the last year. The engine doesn't burn or leak oil. The car accelerates hard and tracks straight. Everything works on the car and for the most part there are no squeakes or rattles. It's an incredible car.

Fun With Four Doors
By simmi on 04/26/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Nissan Maxima Sedan SE 4dr Sedan

I purchased my Maxima SE with 56K on the odometer. I choose the Maxima SE because of its sporty appearance, award winning engine, high reliability ratings, and the room afforded to all passengers. Also important was the 5- spd transmission. Performance wise, this car is just about as fun to drive as my Mustang GT, but it sure is much more comfortable and convenient. I have never been concerned when needing to pass another vehicle. I have put over 30K on the car in two years and have had no major issues with the vehicle. Replaced a fuel sensor and timing belt. I love this car and plan to drive it until I am ready to buy a new Max.

Every day it's better
By wollomombi on 04/10/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Nissan Maxima Sedan SE 4dr Sedan

This car is probably the best equation for a car out there courteousy of the VQ power plant. I found the clutch differnt (used to eurpoean) but once you compensate for that, it is a joy to drive. It really does accelerate to 60 in around 7 seconds and doesn't have any nasty surprises on dirt, snow or mud. Best tyre combo: Michelin Alpine (excellent with this chassis) Suspension is easy to stiffen and if you are a Mod nut you can go with the 267hp turbo kit. Last note, My wife drives this car better than I can and I had to teach her stick and I'll be shooping for a new engine before a new car with this one.

I love this car!
By Jimv on 03/27/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1997 Nissan Maxima Sedan SE 4dr Sedan

I've had a lot of used up-scale cars including a few BMWs and Audis. They were nice cars, but the Maxima just does everything right. It's quick, comfortable, and excellent on gas. One of the best used car purchases I've ever made.

97 maxima SE bought in late 2001
By low1man on 03/24/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1997 Nissan Maxima Sedan SE 4dr Sedan

Mine has been a woderful experience with the maxima. When I bought it in 2001, 190Hp was still something to be proud of in a 4 door car. With the leather, moonroof, automatic climate control, and 5-speed manual transmission, the maxima combines luxury and sport and blurs the line between the two. She has been a wonder car to drive.

South Dakota Maxima from Iowa
By CYCLONZ on 02/26/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1997 Nissan Maxima Sedan SE 4dr Sedan

I bought my SE in Jan of 2003. prior to this i owned a POS neon. My first experience was in a 97 GLE which my brother in law owned. I never imagined what i have invested in till now.. The v6 is sweet, sound not so much (neon wins this one). However the leather and the performance is outstanding.. my baby hits the road and i am flying. I am sure one of these days i will get a ticket.. it will be worth it!

hate it
By 3333 on 02/23/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1997 Nissan Maxima Sedan SE 4dr Sedan

this car has given me nothing but problems since i bought it. i had to replace the whole engine.

A car in its own league
By snoopdade on 02/23/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1997 Nissan Maxima Sedan SE 4dr Sedan

Its is one of the best car buying choices i ever made.

Fun Yet Solid Like a Rock
By asktoknow on 02/19/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1997 Nissan Maxima Sedan SE 4dr Sedan

Never had a day of trouble in five years. Still has the same throaty growl when the 3.0 liter engine accelerates. Wish I had bought three.

WOW!!
By mrmc1 on 01/20/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1997 Nissan Maxima Sedan SE 4dr Sedan

This carís whole personality revolves around its incredible engine. Acceleration, economy, and reliability are all well above average. Itís smooth and delivers abundant power through a broad rev range. In contrast to other power plants which seem to complain when pushed, the Maxima always sounds eager to run hard. This engine is always a joy!