Used 1997 Nissan Maxima Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1997 Nissan Maxima - Consumer Reviews

1997 Nissan Maxima

View reviews for a specific Maxima model:

Most reliable car I have ever owned...
By JMoney

1997 Nissan Maxima SE 4dr Sedan

I bought this car with 60,000 miles on it and I have never done any work to it except replace a left front axel. (1 hour of work). Regular maintenance only. Excellent reliability, great performance (for 200 Horsepower), great looks, good fuel mileage, and awesome quality. I would totally buy another one!

Favorite Features

Quality of interior, engine is amazing! Great handling.

Suggested Improvements

Cannot think of any.

Maxima 1997
By mrfoxy57

1997 Nissan Maxima GXE 4dr Sedan

This is the best used car i have ever owned. I'm 57 years old... The performance is awesome, the ride is smooth. the gas mileage is amazing when you consider the acceleration. I would HIGHLY recommend this car.

Favorite Features

Performance, gas mileage

Suggested Improvements

None...this car is close to perfect

Good Dependable Car
By wingcomdr

1997 Nissan Maxima GLE 4dr Sedan

Bought as lease return with 29K-now has 94K. Great window visibility over the Camry and is a big reason we got it. Plenty of power. Drives very well and holds the road. Replaced muffler at 59K & 74K, starter at 61K & 88K, otherwise regular maintenance-fluid changes at regular intervals-have kept this car relatively free of costly repairs. Gas mileage city is 21-24 and hwy 26-30 based on records of every fillup since we bought it. Replaced original tires at 49K and put on Michelin xOne and have 45K on them-they need replacing in another 5-10K. All accessories work well other than antenna. A good solid performer.

Favorite Features

This car is a rocket-hit the gas and standby for lift off!! Factory remote rolls the front windows down on hot days as you walk to the car.

Suggested Improvements

Hood struts replaced by dealer and failed again. Power antenna works but grinds. AC adequate for Texas heat but could be better-the car is purple maybe thats causes this problem.

I want my 95 back
By Sam

1997 Nissan Maxima SE 4dr Sedan

I totaled a 1995 Maxima GLE, so I decided to step up to a 97 SE. Over the last 6 months I have had over $1500 in repairs, granted it has never left me stranded, but that is what I spent on my 95 over the course of 1.5 years and it had 70,000 more miles on it. Also since my 95 was much less expensive, plenty of money was left over for aftermarket performance parts. Do yourself a favor and find a higher mileage that has had all the common problems fixed and use the money saved to increase performance.

Favorite Features

Bose Sound quality and solid road feel Note: bose radio doesn't like FM transponders for iPods or XM radio

Suggested Improvements

Knock Sensor postion (its under the intake manifold = $$$ to replace) Drive axle failure Crankshaft postion sensors failure Plastic all over the dash (find one with wood grain) No lateral support, but comfortable leather seats.

Great Car!
By Dano

1997 Nissan Maxima GLE 4dr Sedan

Bought it with 50k and it now has almost 150k. No real problems to speak of other than having to have the stereo head rebuilt because the CD player quit. Premium gas is a bummer with prices being so high. Gets a pretty solid 25 mpg with the driving I do.

Favorite Features

Bose stereo rocks. Comfortable. Reliable. Good performance.

Suggested Improvements

Let it run regular gas instead of premium and up the mileage. Low HP by today's standards, but still very good. I put some nice aftermarket LED tail lights and clear front corner lenses on it to make it look more modern.