Used 1997 Nissan Maxima Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1997 Nissan Maxima - Consumer Reviews

1997 Nissan Maxima

View reviews for a specific Maxima model:

Good car
By MAXIMAGUY

1997 Nissan Maxima GLE 4dr Sedan

I purchased the maxima @ 60k miles. It now has 130k. This has been a very good car for me. At around 110k i replaced one individual cylinder coil, 120k i had to replace the alternator and 125k the starter. The cv joints are going, but that's not unexpected. I get around 23 mpg mixed between city and hwy. I drive too fast to get good mileage.

Favorite Features

Sunroof

Suggested Improvements

Make it a little easier to repair. To change the alternator i had to go up underneath by the right front tire and unbolt the a/c unit to replace the alternator.

Reliable, Comfortable, Fun
By Fandango

1997 Nissan Maxima SE 4dr Sedan

This is my fourth Maxima SE 5-speed. All were bought used and ran for many miles without significant mechanical problems. All this one required besides the usual wear items was an alternator. The car now has 201,000 miles on it and is still going strong. With reasonable care, the power train on these will go practically forever, and the horsepower and fuel economy are great. The handling in corners is good enough to be fun, but as a sport sedan it should be somewhat better. Still, the car is comfortable, reliable and fun and a great value, especially when bought used. It's sort of a poor man's beamer.

Favorite Features

V6 engine power and reliability, manual transmission, fuel economy, highway ride comfort, Bose sound system, keyless entry.

Suggested Improvements

Independent rear suspension would improve cornering. The crowded engine compartment makes it hard for a home mechanic to get at some things. Changing an alternator is a 2-hour job involving removal of the radiator fans, and heaven help the person who has to change a power steering pump.

Nissan Fan
By Nissan Lover

1997 Nissan Maxima SE 4dr Sedan

I am a Nissan fan...I have owned my Maxima for 5 years. It's time to upgrade and Nissan is at the top of the list. I didn't take the best care of my car but it has taken care of me. Not many repairs needed - I should have been more proactive and those my have been prevented....never left me stranded and always starts in the mornings. It's stylish I look good behind the wheel and allows me to show off with pick-up & GO! when needed. I would tell anyone that the Nissan Maxima is a great buy!

Suggested Improvements

I do not know much about engines and tranny's but that made this the right car I didn't have any worries or problems with those areas....while I owned this car.

amazing vehicle
By Fred Jackson

1997 Nissan Maxima SE 4dr Sedan

I have driven the 5 speed manual maxima se for 7 years and it's an incredible car. at 141k miles it still runs strong and has had only 1 significant repair. fuel economy for my highway route is 30 mpg on midgrade fuel. highly recommend this car as tremendously reliable. dont pay a premium for a toyota, just buy the 95- 99 maxima.

Favorite Features

Bose audio, feel of manual transmission

Suggested Improvements

i had some dashboard rattles. the rear styling could be improved.

Make sure it's a good one
By LeVeL

1997 Nissan Maxima SE 4dr Sedan

I made the big mistake of getting this car at an auction and have had nothing but problems - stereo, ac, shocks, exhaust, i can go on and on. Clearly the previous owner took no care of this vehicle, so I can't really blame these things on the car. The ride and handling suffered greatly because of broken shocks, fuel economy is hovering around 16-17 mpg in the city due to a lack of a tune-up. The car is fun to drive though and has good power. I think my next car will be another Maxima SE, this time a mint-condition one from a dealer. Highly recommended as long as its in good condition.

Favorite Features

Great responses, good power/acceleration, fun to drive, lots of room, good exhaust sound (until it developed a hole and started to rev).

Suggested Improvements

Fold-down rear seats.