1997 Nissan Maxima - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Maxima model:
1997 Maxima
By winston1 on 12/17/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1997 Nissan Maxima GXE 4dr Sedan

I've owned 4 Maximas, and Nissan continues to do a good job of building a quality comfortable, dependable car.

Did anyone have this problem?
By himileagemaxowner on 12/12/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1997 Nissan Maxima SE 4dr Sedan

I have 135,550 miles on this 5 speed 97 SE, right now its in the shop with wheel bearing/axle problems. Mechanic said somehow the boot near CV joints broke and grease leaked out. Its going to be a $1200 plus repair. Does anyone know if maintenance is required on those parts? Owner's manual sure don't state that it is. Kinda envy people on this post with 150k miles without these major headaches. It's been a great car until now...!! Wonder if this was owner's neglect or manufacturer flaw. Anyone care to shed some light?

Maximas are the Best
By Maximas are the Best on 12/03/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1997 Nissan Maxima GXE 4dr Sedan

This is my third Maxima. This '97 model is the only one ever to have a brake down (alternator) and that turned out to be covered by the company as a recall--no cost repair.

Fun, Reliable, and Economical
By AZShawn on 11/25/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1997 Nissan Maxima SE 4dr Sedan

At 170,000 miles, my Maxima SE 5-speed is still running strong. Average 27mpg is great and the car is still fast and fun to drive. The reliability of this car is outstanding; however the suspension and steering are less than adequate. I can't think of a better value.

1997 MAXIMA
By BLADE on 10/08/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Nissan Maxima SE 4dr Sedan

FIRST JAPANESE CAR I HAVE BOUGHT. BEST CAR I HAVE EVER OWNED.

Sweet Ride
By Drew H. 23 on 09/29/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Nissan Maxima GLE 4dr Sedan

This car is pretty awsome if you are looking for a car with good power and a smooth ride.

Best Car I've ever owned
By Chelle415 on 08/05/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Nissan Maxima GLE 4dr Sedan

I love this car because it was a good price for a well built car. It has all of the luxury ammenities of a larger car, without the cost, and also without the cheap feel of lower cost sedans. The car feels solid, runs strong, and responds well.

1997 Nissan Maxima SE Review
By Tinbird on 07/10/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Nissan Maxima SE 4dr Sedan

Attractive, fun, safe car. [Engine] performance superior in many regards to most competitors, though suspension is merely adequate (unforgivable for Nissan to forego true 4-wheel independent suspension when many competitors have been doing so for years). Also, while the car is enjoyable to drive and reliable, fit- and-finish is merely "average." Finally dealership support is very typical: long waits; dubious sales/service tactics; premium prices. Overall, definitely a GOOD car (safe and reliable); in some ways a VERY GOOD car (potent engine and nice [optional] "creature comforts"); but not quite a GREAT car (mediocre suspension, fit-and-finish).

The best car for the money
By Tamer on 06/09/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Nissan Maxima SE 4dr Sedan

good looks , great performance , very reliable .

The best car ever, that is under valued.
By Big on 06/01/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Nissan Maxima GXE 4dr Sedan

I love my 1997 Max! It is the first new car I have ever bought and have had no problems ever. Everything is stock except minor maintenace like belts, brakes, tires and I have driven over 108,000 miles. I bought the GXE model in a 5 speed. She looks great and I have never had a problem out of her. Even today when most cars come with more than the 190HP in this model Max, I still smoke'm at the light. If you are looking for a car with all the anemities, even better power in the newer models, reliable and attractive, the Maxima is the best bet. Forget about Honda and Toyota, they can't touch the Nissan's.