1997 Nissan Maxima - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Maxima model:
Best car I have owned
By Mikes on 04/28/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Nissan Maxima SE 4dr Sedan

This was my first Nissan, had a couple of Acuras, both good cars but the Max has been very reliable. The car looks good after 162,000 miles, drivers seat shows some wear, but overall, car has been good. Alternator was replaced at 90,000 and then I was reimbursed the $700 since it was a later recall item. One minor oil leak now, about $200 to fix. Car has been hard on tires and/or alignment, or is it me pushing it......great car on the Interstate

Great Maxi!!!
By kevdog on 04/26/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Nissan Maxima GLE 4dr Sedan

I've owned all foreign cars and this is by far the best ofthem all. I'm in sales and drive all the time. I never get tired of hearing the engine or the awesome stereo. I have never had a single problem, even with 200,000 miles. I plan on keeping it to 300,000+ and then buying another one. I love my Maxima!!!

97 Maxima
By MaximaCalif on 04/04/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1997 Nissan Maxima SE 4dr Sedan

Been a great car very reliable all I have had to do is replace the stereo (which I guess happened on many of these models) but otherwise no major issues so far.....great mileage for a V6, about 27-28 MPG....power is fine and interior has stayed together well.

maxima
By Hughm on 02/23/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1997 Nissan Maxima GLE 4dr Sedan

Smooth, strong & comfortable. Great room for the tall people, that goes for the back too. Good pickup. Very good price for a nice sedan that will last 200k miles and more.

i love my maxima
By evm912 on 02/06/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1997 Nissan Maxima GLE 4dr Sedan

I purchased my 1997 Nissan Maxima GLE almost 1 year ago and I am so happy with my decision. I had a 4 cylinder honda and the maxima is a 6, i will never go back to a 4 after this maxima. I purchased tme max with 38,000 miles, the car was like new. It runs amazing, drives very well, great acceleration and handling.I love everything about the car, the mechanics and also the interior... the leather, heated seats, moonroof, BOSE stereo (great quality sound system).

My Review
By vadeltachi on 01/22/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1997 Nissan Maxima GLE 4dr Sedan

An OK car; many leaks--transmission; power steering; power brakes. VERY poor heating; balky auto climate control. Not hot enough in the winter and too cold with A/C. Funky shifting from 4th to lockup-- uncomfortable to drive. Knocks no matter what grade of gas is used. Large front A pillars block views--a very poor design element.

Great car!!!!!!!!!!!
By Swifty1 on 01/09/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1997 Nissan Maxima SE 4dr Sedan

reliable, responsive, powerful, and still good looking after 7 years, Much better than the 2004 which I just test drove. I am looking for an SUV now, and I will miss many things about this car!

Best car I've ever owned
By Maximalover on 01/09/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1997 Nissan Maxima SE 4dr Sedan

I've owned American, German, Japanese and Swedish cars, and without question my 1997 Maxima SE is the most reliable of all. In 45,000 miles we literally had one part that malfunctioned under warranty, and other than standard service it has never been in the shop. It's a great car that family and friends have asked to buy, but we're not letting go.

I miss my Maxima!
By naf on 01/05/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1997 Nissan Maxima GXE 4dr Sedan

My dream car! It was a great car until a fire destroyed it. I loved the way it felt at high speeds on the high way. Excellent accleration. Pretty good gas mileage. I will buy one again!

Very Happy with this car
By Jon123 on 12/19/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1997 Nissan Maxima SE 4dr Sedan

Bought this car new in 97 now has 110k miles with virtually no problems, a/c compressor had to be replaced @30k miles (under warranty though)just replaced both cv joints, other than that has been a very reliable, fun car, thanks to the 5spd. Leather interior has held up very well, exterior paint is average. Great car for the money.