Used 1997 Nissan Maxima Consumer Reviews - 123 Car Reviews | Edmunds

1997 Nissan Maxima - Consumer Reviews

1997 Nissan Maxima

View reviews for a specific Maxima model:

Japan's Finest
By Nissan Fan

1997 Nissan Maxima SE 4dr Sedan

225k miles and still strong. Idles and runs just as smooth as my '03 I35. I drive from Southern VA to Northern VA daily. Everything works well. Bose sounds great. Seats are still comfortable although worn real bad. It needed a little work when I purchased it (struts, cv boots, clutch, tune up) but it was expected with 200k+ miles. All buttons still intact, nothing is cracked or broken. Nissans are amazing vehicles. I would recommend Nissan products to anyone. Love the car. I am a Nissan fan forever. This makes our 4th Nissan we own right now.

Refinement, quality, & attention to detail! Styling, ride/handling, VQ30DE (sounds & performance).

Brighter headlights (aftermarket HID will fix that).

1997 Maxima
By Aaron

1997 Nissan Maxima SE 4dr Sedan

The car performed great for the first 95,000 miles. - 95,000 front left strut (covered by the 100,000 warranty I added at purchase) - 130,000 the radio volume knob doesn't work well, speakers deteriorated - 140,000 starter ($480) - 145,000 alternator ($470) - 157,000 right front wheel bearing, both axle boots ripped so replaced axles ($830) - 158,000 (currently) the front brakes are creaking horribly (brakes are quite new) So after $1780 in the last two years, I won't be spending anymore money on this car. And will not be buying another Nissan, too unreliable. I treated this car like a baby and it basically started shutting down on me.

Maxima is Great
By John

1997 Nissan Maxima GLE 4dr Sedan

Purchased our Maxima new and it has been the most reliable vehicle we have ever owned. It is now 10 years old and the only repairs besides routine maintenance has been an alternator (recall), a starter and new front axles/cv boots, and oil sensor (leaking). The engine is still like new with only 73k miles on it. It's got some dings and scratches but we are going to keep it for a least 2 more years. It has been a great car.

Responsive performance, comfortable and yet economical. Gas mileage is 24 in city and almost 30 on highway. It is a great ride.

Hood struts failed after 3 years. Never replaced. Head room inadequate w/moonroof for me (6'3") Had to buy it without. Road noise could be improved.

Perfect, great car, totally reliable
By suecag

1997 Nissan Maxima GLE 4dr Sedan

I have owned my 1997 Nissan Maxima GLE for 5 years (purchased from a private owner). I have never had any issues whatsoever. I have never had to get any repairs besides the regular oil changes, tires, etc. And it is perfect inside and out. It is wonderful to never have to worry about your car.

RELIABILITY!!! Also, it's a nice black sweet looking car with all amenities inside.

Can't think of any.

The best!
By bonton

1997 Nissan Maxima SE 4dr Sedan

I bought this car when it had 40K miles on it and now, 5/07, it has 202K and still runs as good as the day I bought it. I have replaced an oxygen sensor, the starter, and the brakes. This is without a doubt, the best car I have ever owned in my 32 years of driving. I will keep it until they push me off the road.

Handling and engine.