Used 1997 Nissan Maxima Sedan Consumer Reviews - 123 Car Reviews | Edmunds

1997 Nissan Maxima Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Maxima model:

Good Workhorse
By rtreviewing

1997 Nissan Maxima Sedan SE 4dr Sedan

I bought this car when it was 6 years old with 107K miles. I kept it for 5 years, putting another almost 70K miles on it. Besides regular maintenance, I did have to replace a few parts. All the maintenance and repairs averaged out to less than $1,000 per year. Not exceptional, but pretty good.

Most of the time, I felt I could rely on this car.

This car is pretty good already, but certain components did break or need replacement sooner than my Toyota. To get to the next level, quality control for these components need to go up another notch.

It just keeps on running
By JHR

1997 Nissan Maxima Sedan GXE 4dr Sedan

I have had my Maxima for 11 years. During that time I have only had minor repairs even after 187K miles. What a great car! This is the second of two Maximas and the 4th Nissan/Datsun product I have owned. Great vehicles. Too bad the newer model Maxima's turning radius was so short. I would never own one due to that.

Good looks.

Newer models came with outside temperature gauge and compass.

WOW
By KeeponpatH

1997 Nissan Maxima Sedan GLE 4dr Sedan

I have taken over my uncle's car who drives a lot, now I got this car at 300,000 miles. Now it's at 330,000 miles, and it still runs great. Replaced starter, need to replace alternator now, and other stuff like brakes and such. It still gives the people "wow.." when I tell them how much mileage is on the car.

long mileage

4-door sports car indeed
By Brian

1997 Nissan Maxima Sedan SE 4dr Sedan

Fastest sub $30K sedan available with manual trans at the time. 11 years later still 0-60 sub 7sec. Very reliable sedan, sports sedan primarily, 4-door sports car second.

Great acelleration due to light 3000lb weight. Good fuel economy, maintains sharp lines 10 years later.

The Best Max Ever
By jerrymax

1997 Nissan Maxima Sedan GLE 4dr Sedan

I bought my 1997 Maxima GLE directly off a two year lease in October 1999. It's still a gorgeous car. Deep brown rosewood exterior, black leather interior, 7 spoke alloy wheels. I've since put 119,000 miles on it for a total of 154k on the odometer and it runs like new. Very light for a car its size - just over 3000 lbs. It takes off like a rocket and seems to intuitively know when to downshift to passing gear. Handles like a sports car. I've gotten out of some tight situations because it's so nimble. Always starts, always gets me where I want to go. I've had only minor problems. Biggest repair was replaced alternator. Best Maxima that Nissan ever built, in my opinion.

This is a high quality car. Nissan built this model through 1999 and they still look modern and impressive on the road. Bose sound system is great. Handling is amazing, a joy to drive, you feel like the car is almost alive. Leather interior is beautiful. Lots of room inside. 27 mpg on the highway.

None. I think Nissan built the perfect mid-sized sedan with this one. Don't like the newer models near as much.