Used 1997 Nissan Maxima Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1997 Nissan Maxima Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Maxima model:
Max
By Sarah on 03/10/05 19:54 PM (PST)

1997 Nissan Maxima Sedan SE 4dr Sedan

This is truly an amazing car. I have driven many cars and trucks in the past but this one turly takes the cake. For a 1997 modle this is a very modern car. You realize the comfort and respect every time you get into it. This car is very reliable and I would trust it in any condition.It works great in snow and on dirt roads. It has a lot of space in all the right places. This is truly a great modle of car.I would even be comfortable to recomend at as a first car for your teen. It is just amazing, all the things that you can accomplish with this car. If you are looking into this car I would recomend you getting prepared for the ride of your dreams. This car doesn't leave any rock unturned.

Discouraging
By Kurt Glover on 11/23/04 15:21 PM (PST)

1997 Nissan Maxima Sedan GLE 4dr Sedan

I bought my Maxima August of 2004. I just traded it in (November 2004). I thought I was buying my wife a dependable car but wasn't. After 100,000 miles it starts hard, plus there is a very loud noise coming from the front end that no one can figure out what it is. Keep in mind, you must use premium gas for this engine...This car did not live up to it's expectations.

fast, reliable, good looking car
By manero on 11/03/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1997 Nissan Maxima Sedan SE 4dr Sedan

fast car with a stiff ride

Best FWD family sedan
By KaBar on 09/19/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Nissan Maxima Sedan SE 4dr Sedan

I've had the car since Febuary 2004. It doesn't handle too well in the winter like my '91 Maxima did. In the summer, I've driven over 10,000 miles, with little to no maintenance. This is probably one of, if not the best FWD car on the road, with enough room to seat the family, and enough power to get up and go. Trunk space is great, and there is plenty of head room. Handling is great. Almost every Sunday, I take it up the canyon and open the throttle. I've been getting 300-330 miles to the tank, and that averages out to 20-24mpg city driving. This is a great car for the family.

Maxima keeps getting better
By Aaron LA on 08/20/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Nissan Maxima Sedan SE 4dr Sedan

This is my 3rd Maxima, had a 87', 91' and now this. I have had it for over a year and have put 30,000 miles on it. Just had to replace brakes and tires. It's a GREAT car with great features. Super reliable, has great pick up (especially since mine is manual), great friendly features, and overall is a fun car to drive. I do wish it had more power like the newer versions though. Bottom line, an incredible car at a reasonable price.

Excellent Car, Still going strong
By reclark on 08/18/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Nissan Maxima Sedan SE 4dr Sedan

I bought this car new in 97, and is has been a great experience. 150k miles and have never had it in the shop for any repairs, other than brakes, tires, and general maint. This has been a great car, the best I have ever owned.

Best car I've ever owned
By DaveCh on 06/16/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Nissan Maxima Sedan GXE 4dr Sedan

In seven years and 99,000 miles I never had any problems. I bought the car new and would have drove it into the ground if it hadn't been destroyed in a flood. This car had much better quality than any of the Big Three American cars I've owned. At 99,000 it still didn't need a brake job. The engine is a ten best engine and always had plenty of power especially with the manual which never required any work. Would highly recommmend to someone for the quality and performance and I'm looking for a another 97 Maxima. My wife drives a 2003 Maxima.

1997 Nissan Maxima GLE
By Steven Miller on 06/12/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Nissan Maxima Sedan GLE 4dr Sedan

I would highly recommend a used Maxima as I only have good things to says about my 97. It's still quick, gets good fuel mileage for its class and as a tall person, there's plenty of room.

2 Maximas in a row!
By GranadaMan on 06/02/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Nissan Maxima Sedan SE 4dr Sedan

Bought car with 70,000 miles and in 6 months I have put 18,000 on it and still going. I had to replace the A/C Condenser because berrings were worn on the pulley ($800) - made a horrible noise. This is my second Maxima and I could not be happier. I have gotten 32 MPG on good highway stretches. I may jump to a G35 in a few years just because they look better than the '04 Maxima.

Best Car I've Owned
By tdigeorge on 05/03/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Nissan Maxima Sedan SE 4dr Sedan

Bought it brand new. Still as tight and responsive and fun to drive as the day I drove it off the showroom floor. No rattles or noises of any kind. It's been driven 134,500 miles and never a repair or part replacement, just routine maintenance (brakes, etc.). More than lives up to it's reputation for reliability and performance!