1997 Nissan Maxima Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Maxima model:
1997 Maxima
By Aaron on 01/06/08 11:05 AM (PST)

1997 Nissan Maxima Sedan SE 4dr Sedan

The car performed great for the first 95,000 miles. - 95,000 front left strut (covered by the 100,000 warranty I added at purchase) - 130,000 the radio volume knob doesn't work well, speakers deteriorated - 140,000 starter ($480) - 145,000 alternator ($470) - 157,000 right front wheel bearing, both axle boots ripped so replaced axles ($830) - 158,000 (currently) the front brakes are creaking horribly (brakes are quite new) So after $1780 in the last two years, I won't be spending anymore money on this car. And will not be buying another Nissan, too unreliable. I treated this car like a baby and it basically started shutting down on me.

Maxima is Great
By John on 09/10/07 13:26 PM (PDT)

1997 Nissan Maxima Sedan GLE 4dr Sedan

Purchased our Maxima new and it has been the most reliable vehicle we have ever owned. It is now 10 years old and the only repairs besides routine maintenance has been an alternator (recall), a starter and new front axles/cv boots, and oil sensor (leaking). The engine is still like new with only 73k miles on it. It's got some dings and scratches but we are going to keep it for a least 2 more years. It has been a great car.

Perfect, great car, totally reliable
By suecag on 06/06/07 16:16 PM (PDT)

1997 Nissan Maxima Sedan GLE 4dr Sedan

I have owned my 1997 Nissan Maxima GLE for 5 years (purchased from a private owner). I have never had any issues whatsoever. I have never had to get any repairs besides the regular oil changes, tires, etc. And it is perfect inside and out. It is wonderful to never have to worry about your car.

The best!
By bonton on 05/21/07 05:53 AM (PDT)

1997 Nissan Maxima Sedan SE 4dr Sedan

I bought this car when it had 40K miles on it and now, 5/07, it has 202K and still runs as good as the day I bought it. I have replaced an oxygen sensor, the starter, and the brakes. This is without a doubt, the best car I have ever owned in my 32 years of driving. I will keep it until they push me off the road.

Good car
By MAXIMAGUY on 03/19/07 12:06 PM (PDT)

1997 Nissan Maxima Sedan GLE 4dr Sedan

I purchased the maxima @ 60k miles. It now has 130k. This has been a very good car for me. At around 110k i replaced one individual cylinder coil, 120k i had to replace the alternator and 125k the starter. The cv joints are going, but that's not unexpected. I get around 23 mpg mixed between city and hwy. I drive too fast to get good mileage.

Reliable, Comfortable, Fun
By Fandango on 01/27/07 13:18 PM (PST)

1997 Nissan Maxima Sedan SE 4dr Sedan

This is my fourth Maxima SE 5-speed. All were bought used and ran for many miles without significant mechanical problems. All this one required besides the usual wear items was an alternator. The car now has 201,000 miles on it and is still going strong. With reasonable care, the power train on these will go practically forever, and the horsepower and fuel economy are great. The handling in corners is good enough to be fun, but as a sport sedan it should be somewhat better. Still, the car is comfortable, reliable and fun and a great value, especially when bought used. It's sort of a poor man's beamer.

Nissan Fan
By Nissan Lover on 10/29/06 09:20 AM (PST)

1997 Nissan Maxima Sedan SE 4dr Sedan

I am a Nissan fan...I have owned my Maxima for 5 years. It's time to upgrade and Nissan is at the top of the list. I didn't take the best care of my car but it has taken care of me. Not many repairs needed - I should have been more proactive and those my have been prevented....never left me stranded and always starts in the mornings. It's stylish I look good behind the wheel and allows me to show off with pick-up & GO! when needed. I would tell anyone that the Nissan Maxima is a great buy!

amazing vehicle
By Fred Jackson on 07/26/06 20:09 PM (PDT)

1997 Nissan Maxima Sedan SE 4dr Sedan

I have driven the 5 speed manual maxima se for 7 years and it's an incredible car. at 141k miles it still runs strong and has had only 1 significant repair. fuel economy for my highway route is 30 mpg on midgrade fuel. highly recommend this car as tremendously reliable. dont pay a premium for a toyota, just buy the 95- 99 maxima.

Make sure it's a good one
By LeVeL on 07/21/06 12:43 PM (PDT)

1997 Nissan Maxima Sedan SE 4dr Sedan

I made the big mistake of getting this car at an auction and have had nothing but problems - stereo, ac, shocks, exhaust, i can go on and on. Clearly the previous owner took no care of this vehicle, so I can't really blame these things on the car. The ride and handling suffered greatly because of broken shocks, fuel economy is hovering around 16-17 mpg in the city due to a lack of a tune-up. The car is fun to drive though and has good power. I think my next car will be another Maxima SE, this time a mint-condition one from a dealer. Highly recommended as long as its in good condition.

Most reliable car I have ever owned...
By JMoney on 06/03/06 21:58 PM (PDT)

1997 Nissan Maxima Sedan SE 4dr Sedan

I bought this car with 60,000 miles on it and I have never done any work to it except replace a left front axel. (1 hour of work). Regular maintenance only. Excellent reliability, great performance (for 200 Horsepower), great looks, good fuel mileage, and awesome quality. I would totally buy another one!