1997 Nissan Maxima - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Maxima model:
13 yrs & still going strong
By cool blue on 07/13/10 10:07 AM (PDT)

1997 Nissan Maxima SE 4dr Sedan

Very reliable, reasonable yearly maintenance costs, still looks good. Moves very quickly even though it only has 190 hp. I wish I was more talented mechanically to do a few mods to tighten handling; It's handling is decent but could be better.

Satisfaction, I got mine
By Papa on 04/28/10 08:57 AM (PDT)

1997 Nissan Maxima SE 4dr Sedan

This is my second Nissan Maxima, first one (1996) totaled in accident when rear ended by large SUV going 50+ mph as I stopped for red light. Engine of Suv was practically in my back seat before I was shot 75 yards through intersection. Not a scratch on me or passenger. Replaced it with 1997 Maxima with 80K miles in great condition. It now has 230K miles. Other than changing oil and tires on regular basis, I treat it like an off road truck. Thought about replacing it last month but could'nt turn loose of what has been a trusty companion. Took it to the shop and spent 2 grand getting her back to new mechanically. Figure she's good for another 100,000.

Love it!
By LoveMyMaxima on 02/23/10 08:03 AM (PST)

1997 Nissan Maxima GLE 4dr Sedan

I bought this car from my mechanic last year when my 95 Camry became too expensive to repair. I was leary because the car had 243K miles on it; but my mechanic said it would most likely go to 300K. I'm at 254K now and have had no problems at all. The car is so quiet that I sometimes think it has stalled. It has the original stereo, which I hate, and the interior could have been better maintined (I think the last owner always drove with the sun roof open..dust and dirt caught in places I can't seem to reach). I cannot complain about this car. Mechanically and speed-wise, I love it. It has been quite reliable.

still going
By tothemax on 02/21/10 17:11 PM (PST)

1997 Nissan Maxima GXE 4dr Sedan

I have 286,000 miles on my Max. It has been a great to commute in. Average about 27 mpg most of the time. With the price of cars now, it pays to keep running what you have. Great car!!!

Today I bought a 2010 Maxima
By BHM on 01/04/10 12:19 PM (PST)

1997 Nissan Maxima SE 4dr Sedan

This is the best car that I have ever owned. The style and performance today are nearly as good as when I bought it new in 1997. You can not find a more reliable car and a cheaper one to own. It has never needed any major repairs and has never left me stranded. I have 218,000 miles and it still starts right up, handles beautifully, and runs great. My wife has had 3 new cars (not Maximas)since I bought it. This car will not nickel and dime you like some American cars. I get 50,000 miles on the brakes. I love my Maxima so much that I just bought a new one. I will miss my "97" but I am confident that some lucky kid will enjoy another 200,000 plus miles. 1997 NISSAN-MAXIMA...What a car

My Maxima is falling apart....
By Peter on 11/07/09 22:58 PM (PST)

1997 Nissan Maxima GXE 4dr Sedan

I brought car used at 40k miles from my Sister - mint condition, California car. Driven mostly 7-8k per year (light). Powerful, smooth, quiet and great for a road trip, but..... The car is fragile! The starter went out at 65k($375 replace), the front strut bearing plates broke at 75k ($750 including struts and labor), the check-engine light came on at 76k (Evaporator system problem ($650), Rear brake calipers slightly locking up due to frozen/corroded parking mechanism ($600 to fix refurb calipers inc labor). I have no clue why the car is falling apart right before my eyes. I'm going to trade it soon. Sad, what a powerful and smooth vehicle. :-( Peter

disappointed
By will on 05/01/09 12:09 PM (PDT)

1997 Nissan Maxima SE 4dr Sedan

Purchased used at 101k from dealer who picked up at auction. I heard that the 3.5 engine is indestructible so I bought it. To date. I have replaced typical parts for high mileage (front axel/cvboots, power steering pump, starter, ignition switch, and master cylinder recently which brings me to my dilemma. (brake equpt.). I have spent about 3k in 5 yrs and 89k miles. Bad gas mileage and reliability. Cheaper parts than Toyota

Great all-arounder
By bigtex144 on 03/19/09 18:23 PM (PDT)

1997 Nissan Maxima SE 4dr Sedan

I bought my 97 Maxima SE 5-speed about 2 years ago and am in love with it. The fact that it's my 4th car in under 2 years says a lot! I bought it with 307K miles on it (a testament to how unbelievably solid the car was and still is to this day). I'm now over 343K miles and have had to replace little; The 02 sensors, the struts (which were original), and slave/master cylinders. I get 30-33 mpg almost every tank, and that's even with mixed city/hwy. Power is still great after all these miles when I need it too! Did not come with the Bose stereo; stock CD player and volume knob didn't work and all 4 speakers were rotted out, so I replaced those and it sounds great now

What A Great Vehicle
By Pleased Customer on 12/07/08 07:09 AM (PST)

1997 Nissan Maxima GLE 4dr Sedan

I purchased my Nissan at 32000 miles,I now have 394,000 miles. I still get excellent gas mileage 24 city and 30 hwy. This vehicle is driven slightly over 1000 miles weekly. I replaced the alternator due to a recall, only oil changes as recommended, tires and of course brakes. The Bose stereo system still sounds awesome. Slight tear on driver leather seat. If you perform the maintenance required on this auto I can surely guarantee you will find this car to be a keeper.I will continue to drive this car until sadly it has to go to the "Automobile Haven". This is truly is a well handling vehicle on highway.

Excellent Car
By Nismo2010 on 12/06/08 23:23 PM (PST)

1997 Nissan Maxima GLE 4dr Sedan

This is my second Maxima and just love these cars. My first was a 98 SE 5 spd and thought it was great, wish I would not have sold it. But now I have a 97 GLE auto with all the goodies and like this car just as much. I bough the 97 with 179k and had to replace a few things, knock sensor, 02 sensor and the axles. I did the work myself so the repair cost was very cheap. I have 190k on it now and it's still running great and I plan to keep it until it dies. I would highly recommend the 4th Gen (95- 99) Maximas to anyone who wants a 4 dr sports car with comfort, good stereo, and reliability. Thanks Nissan!