Used 1997 Nissan Maxima Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1997 Nissan Maxima - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Maxima model:

Love this car
By brandon1031

1997 Nissan Maxima GLE 4dr Sedan

Bought this car with 120k, and now just hit 161k in a year and a half I can only say one thing-this car is awesome. I've driven brand new cars that dont drive as great as this. Normal things had to have been replaced but nothing that its to expensive. Love this cars power, reliability, roomy interior, and the bose stereo is phenomonal. Not completely crazy about the outside looks, thats the least of my problems. Would reccommend this car to anyone!

power, reliability, gas mpg (24mpg usually)

exterior design is outdated

UPDATE TO BEST MAX EVER
By jerrymax

1997 Nissan Maxima GLE 4dr Sedan

Just wanted to update the review I wrote back in March 2008 about my 1997 Maxima GLE. At that time I had 154k on the odometer. Last week the car turned 200k for another 46,000 miles worth of trouble-free driving. This car amazes me. I've driven it up and down the East Coast from Maine to North Carolina in all kinds of weather, it is NEVER garaged, yet it still looks like new. It has not had a tune-up in 82,000 miles [had platinum plugs put in] but it always starts and still moves like a rocket when I tap the accelerator. I'm really planning on getting another 200,000 miles out this car and will be happy to drive it the rest of my life if at all possible. I love my Maxima!

The climate control still works perfectly and is very easy to use. Unlike the complex electronics on some new European cars, you can master anything on the '97 Maxima's dashboard in 60 seconds. The motor is a jewel, smooth and powerful, and I love the way the car hugs the road. I feel very safe and in control when driving this car.

Well it is too late to "improve" this car, since they ended this model after 1999, but my only complaint would be that the Bose sound system stopped working around five years ago. I installed an after-market system that still uses the old Bose speakers, which still have an awesome sound. As I said last time, I think Nissan made the perfect mid-sized sedan with this Maxima, and I might add that although Honda and Toyota appear to be the darlings of the automotive world, I've owned both and I think their reliability is highly over-rated compared to Nissan and that Nissan builds a better car.

What a vehicle
By It just won't die!

1997 Nissan Maxima SE 4dr Sedan

I bought my Max with 42k miles in 2001 off a lease from a single previous owner. Almost 10 yr later it is still going strong with 234k miles on it! Yes it has issues with the sunroof leaking, and things that just go wrong with a car with its age but overall I am in awe at how good the engine still is. I bought this after a short stint with a 1989 maxima (my first car) which I loved and have no regrets. Every time I go looking at a newer ride I just cant justify the payments and contently crank up my trusty maxima and go about my business. This thing moved with me from Atl to TX (2 trips back to ATL and back) been to FL, DC, AL, MS, NC, SC and the states in between with no issues!

Quick to get up and go, smooth but sporty ride and the fact that it just simply refuses to die. In fact I think I'm going to redo the leather seats.

Learn how to die Maxine! In all honesty my windshield cracks too easily. I'm on my 3rd. This thing should have come with a built-in police radar/laser jammer lol.

That's my baby!
By tonia

1997 Nissan Maxima GLE 4dr Sedan

i bought a 97 GLE in july of 2010 and it was definitely worth the money! It has almost 160k miles now and it still runs really smooth and handles well. A maxima will give you a "need to speed" feeling. Even though i'm 4'11" and this car is already big, i definitely have the same control of someone who is taller. The only problem i noticed was when i was driving the front passenger side was making a "squeaky" sound so i had that checked out and it was because the sway bar links were rusty so i just sprayed WD-40 on it and it was good! i love this car! I'll be buying another maxima no doubt.

the leather seats (definitely better than the cloth), sunroof, Bose system

The cupholders are kind of small and if i was gonna be really picky i'd wish the back windows would go down all the way, but that's nothing!

Great car!
By bemmoftn

1997 Nissan Maxima SE 4dr Sedan

I loved this car from day 1, and I still love this car on day 4,655. It has always been a reliable car, never let us down. Nissan may not have built the most beautifully designed Maxima in 1997, but it sure built a fun to drive, sturdy one. We finally decided to buy a new one, and let this one go to someone else. We couldn't buy any other car. We bought a 2010 Maxima.

Great engine. Period.