Used 1997 Nissan Maxima Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1997 Nissan Maxima - Consumer Reviews

1997 Nissan Maxima Sedan

View reviews for a specific Maxima model:

still going
By tothemax

1997 Nissan Maxima Sedan GXE 4dr Sedan

I have 286,000 miles on my Max. It has been a great to commute in. Average about 27 mpg most of the time. With the price of cars now, it pays to keep running what you have. Great car!!!

Favorite Features

MPG, easy oil changes, fast car for year, great style

Suggested Improvements

Price for parts, brakes always need attention, better rust protection (Northeast)

Japan's Finest
By Nissan Fan

1997 Nissan Maxima Sedan SE 4dr Sedan

225k miles and still strong. Idles and runs just as smooth as my '03 I35. I drive from Southern VA to Northern VA daily. Everything works well. Bose sounds great. Seats are still comfortable although worn real bad. It needed a little work when I purchased it (struts, cv boots, clutch, tune up) but it was expected with 200k+ miles. All buttons still intact, nothing is cracked or broken. Nissans are amazing vehicles. I would recommend Nissan products to anyone. Love the car. I am a Nissan fan forever. This makes our 4th Nissan we own right now.

Favorite Features

Refinement, quality, & attention to detail! Styling, ride/handling, VQ30DE (sounds & performance).

Suggested Improvements

Brighter headlights (aftermarket HID will fix that).

UPDATE TO BEST MAX EVER
By jerrymax

1997 Nissan Maxima Sedan GLE 4dr Sedan

Just wanted to update the review I wrote back in March 2008 about my 1997 Maxima GLE. At that time I had 154k on the odometer. Last week the car turned 200k for another 46,000 miles worth of trouble-free driving. This car amazes me. I've driven it up and down the East Coast from Maine to North Carolina in all kinds of weather, it is NEVER garaged, yet it still looks like new. It has not had a tune-up in 82,000 miles [had platinum plugs put in] but it always starts and still moves like a rocket when I tap the accelerator. I'm really planning on getting another 200,000 miles out this car and will be happy to drive it the rest of my life if at all possible. I love my Maxima!

Favorite Features

The climate control still works perfectly and is very easy to use. Unlike the complex electronics on some new European cars, you can master anything on the '97 Maxima's dashboard in 60 seconds. The motor is a jewel, smooth and powerful, and I love the way the car hugs the road. I feel very safe and in control when driving this car.

Suggested Improvements

Well it is too late to "improve" this car, since they ended this model after 1999, but my only complaint would be that the Bose sound system stopped working around five years ago. I installed an after-market system that still uses the old Bose speakers, which still have an awesome sound. As I said last time, I think Nissan made the perfect mid-sized sedan with this Maxima, and I might add that although Honda and Toyota appear to be the darlings of the automotive world, I've owned both and I think their reliability is highly over-rated compared to Nissan and that Nissan builds a better car.

The Best Max Ever
By jerrymax

1997 Nissan Maxima Sedan GLE 4dr Sedan

I bought my 1997 Maxima GLE directly off a two year lease in October 1999. It's still a gorgeous car. Deep brown rosewood exterior, black leather interior, 7 spoke alloy wheels. I've since put 119,000 miles on it for a total of 154k on the odometer and it runs like new. Very light for a car its size - just over 3000 lbs. It takes off like a rocket and seems to intuitively know when to downshift to passing gear. Handles like a sports car. I've gotten out of some tight situations because it's so nimble. Always starts, always gets me where I want to go. I've had only minor problems. Biggest repair was replaced alternator. Best Maxima that Nissan ever built, in my opinion.

Favorite Features

This is a high quality car. Nissan built this model through 1999 and they still look modern and impressive on the road. Bose sound system is great. Handling is amazing, a joy to drive, you feel like the car is almost alive. Leather interior is beautiful. Lots of room inside. 27 mpg on the highway.

Suggested Improvements

None. I think Nissan built the perfect mid-sized sedan with this one. Don't like the newer models near as much.

Love this car
By brandon1031

1997 Nissan Maxima Sedan GLE 4dr Sedan

Bought this car with 120k, and now just hit 161k in a year and a half I can only say one thing-this car is awesome. I've driven brand new cars that dont drive as great as this. Normal things had to have been replaced but nothing that its to expensive. Love this cars power, reliability, roomy interior, and the bose stereo is phenomonal. Not completely crazy about the outside looks, thats the least of my problems. Would reccommend this car to anyone!

Favorite Features

power, reliability, gas mpg (24mpg usually)

Suggested Improvements

exterior design is outdated