1997 Nissan Maxima - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Maxima model:
I Love this car
By Streetmax1 on 08/15/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Nissan Maxima SE 4dr Sedan

I'm 17 years old, and i'm lucky enough to have this as my first car. This car is fast, sporty, while not sacrificing comfort, and luxury. I would buy a new one in a heartbeat. This car has never broken down on me, and i don't see it happening within the next 5 years. Nissan makes an awesome sport sedan, and the quality is unbelievable!

The Best is Still the Best
By 94 GXE on 07/01/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Nissan Maxima GXE 4dr Sedan

I purchased a used 94 GXE back in 99 with 67K on the meter. A preoccupied lady run head on and totalled my trusty Max and I walked away with nary a scratch. Amazing. I put on another 61K with NO problems whatsoever - wearables dont count of sourse. SInce the accident i have been lookinbg for a replacement from other makes and NEVER found a model that is in totality comparable to the Maxima I had in terms of build quality, fun performance, reliability and cost of ownership. I am now convinced that another Maxima is the only way to go for me. The 97 will be my next car when I can find a reasonably priced one.

1997 Maxima SE
By Wesley on 06/17/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Nissan Maxima SE 4dr Sedan

Nice Car. If I had to do it again, I would opt for the Infiniti I30 and get the add'l perks at the dealership and more comfort. This Maxima however, has proven to be a reliable car. With all the freeway miles on it, I expect this car to last to at least 150K without any problems. If you're considering buying a used car, you can't go wrong but look into a comparably priced I30. You may get more bang for your buck.

Amazing Car
By rapidmax on 06/02/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Nissan Maxima GLE 4dr Sedan

I can't think of a better used car for the money. Great performance with room for 5 people. A lot of fun to drive. My only regret is not getting a manual tranmission.

A great reliable car
By cpk on 05/24/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Nissan Maxima SE 4dr Sedan

I bought this car because I knew it would be reliable, comfortable, and nice. It has been all of those things and I would definitely buy another Maxima.

The Best Car I've Ever Owned
By jgerke on 05/19/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Nissan Maxima GXE 4dr Sedan

Always a Honda/Acura owner I wasn't too interested in becoming a Nissan owner, until I drove this car. We purchased it new and now have 55,000 miles on ours... and it has never been in for repairs of any kind. New tires and regular maintenance only. What a GREAT engine. For 190 HP it gets good gas milage... 22-23 around town. Very comfortable ride. We feel we got a good one!

Fertther
By Ferther on 05/18/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Nissan Maxima SE 4dr Sedan

I bought used. Had a 1991 Maxima that I loved, the 1997 Maxima SE disappointed. The ride is not as assuring and the car feels flimsy in turns, especially on the interstate. Could use some suspension tinkering to make it work better with the 16' tires.

Best Car I've Ever Owned
By DonsMax on 05/14/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Nissan Maxima GLE 4dr Sedan

This is my third Maxima...owned from new an '88, '95 and this '97. Just normal maintenance was performed and very, very, minimal repairs on the '88. No problems ever with the '95 and this '97. All have been a true pleasure to drive under all conditions. My wife has had two Infiniti I-30s--a 9 '97 and '99 (virtually the same car as the Maxima). Not a single problem with either of them! So, to sum up: Nissan makes a terrific, fun, super-reliable auto.

Good value for the $
By 5speeder on 04/30/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Nissan Maxima GXE 4dr Sedan

All in all a very good car. Fun to drive and reliable, except mine's eaten 3 O2 sensors in 3 years, and those puppies are expensive! Gas mileage not as advertised. The power driver seat is a dumb feature (For us, anyway--I'm 6'2, my wife is 5'3. Seems to take that little motor forever to move the seat when we change drivers)

Love My Maxima!
By ycwinpa on 04/29/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Nissan Maxima SE 4dr Sedan

Bought my fully-equipped 97 Maxima SE with 7-8 miles on it in May of 97. Have had it for almost 5 years now and the only problem I've had is a failed alternator at around 50,000. The Maxima is a smooth and fun car to drive, with pretty good handling and acceleration. The cabin is ergonomically designed, comfortable, and roomy, altough it could be better insulated from road noise. Nissan could improve the Maxima's gas mileage. I don't seem to get good gas mileage. Maybe it's because I enjoy driving the car and pushing it to its limit so much.