Used 1997 Nissan Maxima Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1997 Nissan Maxima - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Maxima model:

Max
By Sarah

1997 Nissan Maxima SE 4dr Sedan

This is truly an amazing car. I have driven many cars and trucks in the past but this one turly takes the cake. For a 1997 modle this is a very modern car. You realize the comfort and respect every time you get into it. This car is very reliable and I would trust it in any condition.It works great in snow and on dirt roads. It has a lot of space in all the right places. This is truly a great modle of car.I would even be comfortable to recomend at as a first car for your teen. It is just amazing, all the things that you can accomplish with this car. If you are looking into this car I would recomend you getting prepared for the ride of your dreams. This car doesn't leave any rock unturned.

My favorite feature is the Bose system. You can truly hear the quality every time you turn your radio on. It is one-hundred percent pure sound. No matter what music you listen to you will be able to enjoy such modern tecnology. This is probally the greatest invention ever added to the perfect car.

If there were any improvements that I would suggest would probally be to add a way to roll up the windows with the key less entry system. It is wonderful that you can roll the windows down with the press of a button but I would also like a way to roll the windows up. That is what I would change.

Discouraging
By Kurt Glover

1997 Nissan Maxima GLE 4dr Sedan

I bought my Maxima August of 2004. I just traded it in (November 2004). I thought I was buying my wife a dependable car but wasn't. After 100,000 miles it starts hard, plus there is a very loud noise coming from the front end that no one can figure out what it is. Keep in mind, you must use premium gas for this engine...This car did not live up to it's expectations.

Bose stereo

Better front end

fast, reliable, good looking car
By manero

1997 Nissan Maxima SE 4dr Sedan

fast car with a stiff ride

rims, engine

bigger interior, better ride

Best FWD family sedan
By KaBar

1997 Nissan Maxima SE 4dr Sedan

I've had the car since Febuary 2004. It doesn't handle too well in the winter like my '91 Maxima did. In the summer, I've driven over 10,000 miles, with little to no maintenance. This is probably one of, if not the best FWD car on the road, with enough room to seat the family, and enough power to get up and go. Trunk space is great, and there is plenty of head room. Handling is great. Almost every Sunday, I take it up the canyon and open the throttle. I've been getting 300-330 miles to the tank, and that averages out to 20-24mpg city driving. This is a great car for the family.

My favorite feature is the white face gauges. Leather wrapped steering wheel. Chameleon paint(changes from dark green to black depending on the angle you look at it).

I only wish I got a 5spd, sunroof, leather interior w/power seats. The North American Japanese Market offers too many options, and should have just put the best options available for the Flagship sedan for Nissan.

Maxima keeps getting better
By Aaron LA

1997 Nissan Maxima SE 4dr Sedan

This is my 3rd Maxima, had a 87', 91' and now this. I have had it for over a year and have put 30,000 miles on it. Just had to replace brakes and tires. It's a GREAT car with great features. Super reliable, has great pick up (especially since mine is manual), great friendly features, and overall is a fun car to drive. I do wish it had more power like the newer versions though. Bottom line, an incredible car at a reasonable price.

Bose Stereo, Stick shift, Performance tires, sunroof, white dials, very user friendly, GREAT gas mileage.

Fold down back seats instead of small opening, more Horses, external key pad for keyless entry.