Used 1997 Nissan Maxima Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1997 Nissan Maxima - Consumer Reviews

1997 Nissan Maxima

View reviews for a specific Maxima model:

Very few better cars
By Nissan Fan

1997 Nissan Maxima SE 4dr Sedan

I've owned 2 1997 Nissan Maxima SE's. One had been in a wreck and had been repaired. (It stil drove like a champ though.) And the other was only two years old when we bought it. This car is the right car for someone who wants a dependable sedan, but also wants a sporty car. Maximas are known as "FDSC" Four door sports cars and they hold that name very well. I had it for a long tome and it didn't have any problems that weren't recalls. The alternator has a recall on this model. Note to all considering the 1998-2002 Honda Accord: The tranny's are TERRIBLE. Just look on this website at the consumer reviews and you'll see what I'm talking about. (although Honda does make a good car.)

Favorite Features

The Powerplant (VQ30DE): considered the best V6 in America. A bigger version of this engine is used in the 350Z. I love the looks of the SE with the spoiler and the (16 inch?) alloy wheels. The white faced speedometer. The interior ergonomics. The sound system is good even without BOSE.

Suggested Improvements

None, I love it. The five speen is really fun to drive. I regret selling this car :' (

Runs like a champ
By Abyss

1997 Nissan Maxima GLE 4dr Sedan

Up to 160k and running strong. Great acceleration and city handling. CD player is having some troubles. Speedometer sometimes does not work. Overall a fun and reliable sedan. Strongly considering upgrading to the Infinity g35 after owning this car.

Favorite Features

Engine, Interior Layout, reliablility.

Suggested Improvements

This car would be awesome if it were RWD, which would also improve the steering. 5 speed auto and 6spd manual would be great. Paint fades and loses shine.

This car is Awesome
By Nic

1997 Nissan Maxima GLE 4dr Sedan

I love this car because I was hit by a Ford Taurus and it was smashed to pieces (which is saying something about that car...), but my good 'ol Maxima was barely even scratched. I also like the power in my V6 engine. It makes it fun to drive and also gives me an edge on other guys at my school who spends countless hours and tons of money making their cars better. It feels good to just get out there and floor the car just the way i bought it and end up being just as fast and most of the time even faster than the people around me... It's an awesome car and so far, I haven't had any problems...**knock on wood**

Favorite Features

I love the heated seats in the winter, and of course, the sun/moon roof...I really like having leather seats too. It makes the car look really classy and luxurious

Suggested Improvements

four wheel drive would be nice, but then again I'm just a paranoid driver in the winter time so I like having a little more control...and better gas mileage would be nice. Right now I'm getting, on average, around 18.5-20 mpg and with gas at over $3.00 now, I just can't afford that!!

My Car
By Tina

1997 Nissan Maxima SE 4dr Sedan

After all of these years my car is still running like a champ. I am just breaking in my 1997 Nissan Maxima.

Favorite Features

I love the Bose CD system the best. It has good sound and has been real realiable.

Suggested Improvements

I bought my Maxima with leather seats. The sun ate right thru the leather. I have had seat covers in my car for over 5 years.

The Max
By Doug

1997 Nissan Maxima SE 4dr Sedan

I've had my Max for 4 years and have enjoyed nearly every minute. Few options exist for those needing midsize room but enjoy rowing through the gears in the twisties. With the 5-speed the Max is an economical solution for those craving a 5-Series. The engine is strong and reliable, even 8 years after it was born. The handling was sloppy and ride height unnaturally tall. Replacing the stock suspension with Koni shocks and Eibach springs, and later a short throw shifter, made the Max an exciting car to drive. Comfortable on long commutes and thrilling through the turns, I love this car. She has it all, performance, fit & finish, reliability, and enduring good looks.

Favorite Features

The engine and transmission. 190 HP doesn't sound like much, but this car is light and the 5-speed allows you to pull every ounce of performance out of it. Even with 168,000 miles, this car still puts a smile on my face (especially that 2nd gear pull).

Suggested Improvements

The "sport suspension" on the SE was devoid of sport. Softly sprung and awkwardly tall, it detracts from an otherwise “four-door sports car.” However, aftermarket solutions abound.