Used 1997 Nissan Maxima GLE Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1997 Nissan Maxima - Consumer Reviews

1997 Nissan Maxima Sedan

View reviews for a specific Maxima model:

beyond excellent
By lockout3

1997 Nissan Maxima Sedan GLE 4dr Sedan

I had all kind of cars this car is the best car I ever had. The only things I have done is put gas and change the oil. If you want a great car get a Nissan maximum must be your choice.

Bulletproof Car
By 97vq30de

1997 Nissan Maxima Sedan GLE 4dr Sedan

I bought this car with 188k miles. It now has 231k miles. This is my second car. I've replaced wear and tear parts like any other car would go through. I've done some upgrades. Fun to drive. 120mph + stays glued to the ground. I get 24mpg 70city/30hwy. The engine is very quiet, even under load. Awesome Bose audio system. Great looking exterior, especially when lowered with wide wheels ;). Plenty of cargo space. A lot of visibility; easy to park. My girlfriend liked it over her Ford Focus. I plan to keep this car until it literally starts to fall apart. Very good job Nissan.

Favorite Features

VQ30DE. Pretty fast for just 190hp. Very quiet, even under load. Fuel efficient for a V6 and its old technology. A truly 4DSC.

Suggested Improvements

Brake calipers could have been at least 2piston calipers rather than a 1piston caliper. I will be upgrading to G35/350z calipers/rotors soon.

AWESOME '97 MAXIMA GLE
By tan5

1997 Nissan Maxima Sedan GLE 4dr Sedan

...bought my 97 Maxima GLE in Sep of '97, 14.3 years ago, and it has been the best car ever! There have been no major expenses/repairs outside of basic maintenance and minor wear & tear part replacement. The engine light didn't even go on until my 13th year of owning it and, even then, the repair cost was minimal. ...am about to hit 232,000 miles and had the goal to see if it could make 400,000 (had heard of an owner that did hit 400K). However, the 0% financing Nissan is currently offering drew me in so I am now selling my Maxima. Tears will be shed when "she" is driven away.

Favorite Features

Reliability!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Dependability!!!!!!!!!!!!! Minimal cost to maintain!!! Bose stereo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Suggested Improvements

The GLE is supposed to take regular unleaded but, it made knocking sounds. It performed significantly better when I used midgrade gasoline.

Love this car
By brandon1031

1997 Nissan Maxima Sedan GLE 4dr Sedan

Bought this car with 120k, and now just hit 161k in a year and a half I can only say one thing-this car is awesome. I've driven brand new cars that dont drive as great as this. Normal things had to have been replaced but nothing that its to expensive. Love this cars power, reliability, roomy interior, and the bose stereo is phenomonal. Not completely crazy about the outside looks, thats the least of my problems. Would reccommend this car to anyone!

Favorite Features

power, reliability, gas mpg (24mpg usually)

Suggested Improvements

exterior design is outdated

UPDATE TO BEST MAX EVER
By jerrymax

1997 Nissan Maxima Sedan GLE 4dr Sedan

Just wanted to update the review I wrote back in March 2008 about my 1997 Maxima GLE. At that time I had 154k on the odometer. Last week the car turned 200k for another 46,000 miles worth of trouble-free driving. This car amazes me. I've driven it up and down the East Coast from Maine to North Carolina in all kinds of weather, it is NEVER garaged, yet it still looks like new. It has not had a tune-up in 82,000 miles [had platinum plugs put in] but it always starts and still moves like a rocket when I tap the accelerator. I'm really planning on getting another 200,000 miles out this car and will be happy to drive it the rest of my life if at all possible. I love my Maxima!

Favorite Features

The climate control still works perfectly and is very easy to use. Unlike the complex electronics on some new European cars, you can master anything on the '97 Maxima's dashboard in 60 seconds. The motor is a jewel, smooth and powerful, and I love the way the car hugs the road. I feel very safe and in control when driving this car.

Suggested Improvements

Well it is too late to "improve" this car, since they ended this model after 1999, but my only complaint would be that the Bose sound system stopped working around five years ago. I installed an after-market system that still uses the old Bose speakers, which still have an awesome sound. As I said last time, I think Nissan made the perfect mid-sized sedan with this Maxima, and I might add that although Honda and Toyota appear to be the darlings of the automotive world, I've owned both and I think their reliability is highly over-rated compared to Nissan and that Nissan builds a better car.