1997 Nissan Maxima Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Maxima model:
still going
By tothemax on 02/21/10 17:11 PM (PST)

1997 Nissan Maxima Sedan GXE 4dr Sedan

I have 286,000 miles on my Max. It has been a great to commute in. Average about 27 mpg most of the time. With the price of cars now, it pays to keep running what you have. Great car!!!

My Maxima is falling apart....
By Peter on 11/07/09 22:58 PM (PST)

1997 Nissan Maxima Sedan GXE 4dr Sedan

I brought car used at 40k miles from my Sister - mint condition, California car. Driven mostly 7-8k per year (light). Powerful, smooth, quiet and great for a road trip, but..... The car is fragile! The starter went out at 65k($375 replace), the front strut bearing plates broke at 75k ($750 including struts and labor), the check-engine light came on at 76k (Evaporator system problem ($650), Rear brake calipers slightly locking up due to frozen/corroded parking mechanism ($600 to fix refurb calipers inc labor). I have no clue why the car is falling apart right before my eyes. I'm going to trade it soon. Sad, what a powerful and smooth vehicle. :-( Peter

It just keeps on running
By JHR on 08/15/08 13:32 PM (PDT)

1997 Nissan Maxima Sedan GXE 4dr Sedan

I have had my Maxima for 11 years. During that time I have only had minor repairs even after 187K miles. What a great car! This is the second of two Maximas and the 4th Nissan/Datsun product I have owned. Great vehicles. Too bad the newer model Maxima's turning radius was so short. I would never own one due to that.

Maxima 1997
By mrfoxy57 on 03/17/06 22:11 PM (PST)

1997 Nissan Maxima Sedan GXE 4dr Sedan

This is the best used car i have ever owned. I'm 57 years old... The performance is awesome, the ride is smooth. the gas mileage is amazing when you consider the acceleration. I would HIGHLY recommend this car.

Best car I've ever owned
By DaveCh on 06/16/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Nissan Maxima Sedan GXE 4dr Sedan

In seven years and 99,000 miles I never had any problems. I bought the car new and would have drove it into the ground if it hadn't been destroyed in a flood. This car had much better quality than any of the Big Three American cars I've owned. At 99,000 it still didn't need a brake job. The engine is a ten best engine and always had plenty of power especially with the manual which never required any work. Would highly recommmend to someone for the quality and performance and I'm looking for a another 97 Maxima. My wife drives a 2003 Maxima.

I miss my Maxima!
By naf on 01/05/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1997 Nissan Maxima Sedan GXE 4dr Sedan

My dream car! It was a great car until a fire destroyed it. I loved the way it felt at high speeds on the high way. Excellent accleration. Pretty good gas mileage. I will buy one again!

1997 Maxima
By winston1 on 12/17/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1997 Nissan Maxima Sedan GXE 4dr Sedan

I've owned 4 Maximas, and Nissan continues to do a good job of building a quality comfortable, dependable car.

Maximas are the Best
By Maximas are the Best on 12/03/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1997 Nissan Maxima Sedan GXE 4dr Sedan

This is my third Maxima. This '97 model is the only one ever to have a brake down (alternator) and that turned out to be covered by the company as a recall--no cost repair.

The best car ever, that is under valued.
By Big on 06/01/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Nissan Maxima Sedan GXE 4dr Sedan

I love my 1997 Max! It is the first new car I have ever bought and have had no problems ever. Everything is stock except minor maintenace like belts, brakes, tires and I have driven over 108,000 miles. I bought the GXE model in a 5 speed. She looks great and I have never had a problem out of her. Even today when most cars come with more than the 190HP in this model Max, I still smoke'm at the light. If you are looking for a car with all the anemities, even better power in the newer models, reliable and attractive, the Maxima is the best bet. Forget about Honda and Toyota, they can't touch the Nissan's.

The Best is Still the Best
By 94 GXE on 07/01/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Nissan Maxima Sedan GXE 4dr Sedan

I purchased a used 94 GXE back in 99 with 67K on the meter. A preoccupied lady run head on and totalled my trusty Max and I walked away with nary a scratch. Amazing. I put on another 61K with NO problems whatsoever - wearables dont count of sourse. SInce the accident i have been lookinbg for a replacement from other makes and NEVER found a model that is in totality comparable to the Maxima I had in terms of build quality, fun performance, reliability and cost of ownership. I am now convinced that another Maxima is the only way to go for me. The 97 will be my next car when I can find a reasonably priced one.