1997 Nissan Maxima Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Maxima model:
1997 Maxima SE - Great Car!
By corona1373 on 08/13/13 09:08 AM (PDT)

1997 Nissan Maxima Sedan SE 4dr Sedan

An amazingly reliable car after 210,000 miles and 17 years of service. It is dependable and has never let me down or left me stranded. I bought my 1997 Maxima SE about 17 years ago and it has been the most reliable car I've ever owned. It is super easy to service, replacement parts are inexpensive and the engine/transmission still run flawless. With 209,000 miles it still cruises quietly down the highway and gets about 25-26mpg on highway trips. The motor is smooth and the transmission shifts perfectly. I frequently see many of the 4th Generation Maximas still on the road. If you can find a rust-free one that has been well maintained I think it's a good bet as a used car.

beyond excellent
By lockout3 on 06/29/13 17:24 PM (PDT)

1997 Nissan Maxima Sedan GLE 4dr Sedan

I had all kind of cars this car is the best car I ever had. The only things I have done is put gas and change the oil. If you want a great car get a Nissan maximum must be your choice.

Bulletproof Car
By 97vq30de on 07/23/12 22:35 PM (PDT)

1997 Nissan Maxima Sedan GLE 4dr Sedan

I bought this car with 188k miles. It now has 231k miles. This is my second car. I've replaced wear and tear parts like any other car would go through. I've done some upgrades. Fun to drive. 120mph + stays glued to the ground. I get 24mpg 70city/30hwy. The engine is very quiet, even under load. Awesome Bose audio system. Great looking exterior, especially when lowered with wide wheels ;). Plenty of cargo space. A lot of visibility; easy to park. My girlfriend liked it over her Ford Focus. I plan to keep this car until it literally starts to fall apart. Very good job Nissan.

AWESOME '97 MAXIMA GLE
By tan5 on 01/14/12 16:41 PM (PST)

1997 Nissan Maxima Sedan GLE 4dr Sedan

...bought my 97 Maxima GLE in Sep of '97, 14.3 years ago, and it has been the best car ever! There have been no major expenses/repairs outside of basic maintenance and minor wear & tear part replacement. The engine light didn't even go on until my 13th year of owning it and, even then, the repair cost was minimal. ...am about to hit 232,000 miles and had the goal to see if it could make 400,000 (had heard of an owner that did hit 400K). However, the 0% financing Nissan is currently offering drew me in so I am now selling my Maxima. Tears will be shed when "she" is driven away.

Love this car
By brandon1031 on 01/12/12 18:54 PM (PST)

1997 Nissan Maxima Sedan GLE 4dr Sedan

Bought this car with 120k, and now just hit 161k in a year and a half I can only say one thing-this car is awesome. I've driven brand new cars that dont drive as great as this. Normal things had to have been replaced but nothing that its to expensive. Love this cars power, reliability, roomy interior, and the bose stereo is phenomonal. Not completely crazy about the outside looks, thats the least of my problems. Would reccommend this car to anyone!

UPDATE TO BEST MAX EVER
By jerrymax on 02/26/11 16:59 PM (PST)

1997 Nissan Maxima Sedan GLE 4dr Sedan

Just wanted to update the review I wrote back in March 2008 about my 1997 Maxima GLE. At that time I had 154k on the odometer. Last week the car turned 200k for another 46,000 miles worth of trouble-free driving. This car amazes me. I've driven it up and down the East Coast from Maine to North Carolina in all kinds of weather, it is NEVER garaged, yet it still looks like new. It has not had a tune-up in 82,000 miles [had platinum plugs put in] but it always starts and still moves like a rocket when I tap the accelerator. I'm really planning on getting another 200,000 miles out this car and will be happy to drive it the rest of my life if at all possible. I love my Maxima!

What a vehicle
By It just won't die! on 10/13/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Nissan Maxima Sedan SE 4dr Sedan

I bought my Max with 42k miles in 2001 off a lease from a single previous owner. Almost 10 yr later it is still going strong with 234k miles on it! Yes it has issues with the sunroof leaking, and things that just go wrong with a car with its age but overall I am in awe at how good the engine still is. I bought this after a short stint with a 1989 maxima (my first car) which I loved and have no regrets. Every time I go looking at a newer ride I just cant justify the payments and contently crank up my trusty maxima and go about my business. This thing moved with me from Atl to TX (2 trips back to ATL and back) been to FL, DC, AL, MS, NC, SC and the states in between with no issues!

That's my baby!
By tonia on 10/05/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Nissan Maxima Sedan GLE 4dr Sedan

i bought a 97 GLE in july of 2010 and it was definitely worth the money! It has almost 160k miles now and it still runs really smooth and handles well. A maxima will give you a "need to speed" feeling. Even though i'm 4'11" and this car is already big, i definitely have the same control of someone who is taller. The only problem i noticed was when i was driving the front passenger side was making a "squeaky" sound so i had that checked out and it was because the sway bar links were rusty so i just sprayed WD-40 on it and it was good! i love this car! I'll be buying another maxima no doubt.

Great car!
By bemmoftn on 09/01/10 07:44 AM (PDT)

1997 Nissan Maxima Sedan SE 4dr Sedan

I loved this car from day 1, and I still love this car on day 4,655. It has always been a reliable car, never let us down. Nissan may not have built the most beautifully designed Maxima in 1997, but it sure built a fun to drive, sturdy one. We finally decided to buy a new one, and let this one go to someone else. We couldn't buy any other car. We bought a 2010 Maxima.

So reliable!
By bemmoftn on 09/01/10 07:36 AM (PDT)

1997 Nissan Maxima Sedan SE 4dr Sedan

Nissan built a fun to drive, ridiculously reliable vehicle in 1997. We are the original owners of this 13 yo car, and never had any major issues. It has always performed, never let us down, lots of power under the hood, and there are absolutely no complaints here. It was the most eye popping exterior design year for the Maxima, but it has to be one of their best in durability. I have loved it from day 1, and I still love it on day 4,655. We finally decided to get a new car. So what did we buy? Another Maxima! And it will be ours for the next 15 years.