1997 Nissan Maxima - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Maxima model:
beyond excellent
By lockout3 on 06/29/13 17:24 PM (PDT)

1997 Nissan Maxima GLE 4dr Sedan

I had all kind of cars this car is the best car I ever had. The only things I have done is put gas and change the oil. If you want a great car get a Nissan maximum must be your choice.

Bulletproof Car
By 97vq30de on 07/23/12 22:35 PM (PDT)

1997 Nissan Maxima GLE 4dr Sedan

I bought this car with 188k miles. It now has 231k miles. This is my second car. I've replaced wear and tear parts like any other car would go through. I've done some upgrades. Fun to drive. 120mph + stays glued to the ground. I get 24mpg 70city/30hwy. The engine is very quiet, even under load. Awesome Bose audio system. Great looking exterior, especially when lowered with wide wheels ;). Plenty of cargo space. A lot of visibility; easy to park. My girlfriend liked it over her Ford Focus. I plan to keep this car until it literally starts to fall apart. Very good job Nissan.

AWESOME '97 MAXIMA GLE
By tan5 on 01/14/12 16:41 PM (PST)

1997 Nissan Maxima GLE 4dr Sedan

...bought my 97 Maxima GLE in Sep of '97, 14.3 years ago, and it has been the best car ever! There have been no major expenses/repairs outside of basic maintenance and minor wear & tear part replacement. The engine light didn't even go on until my 13th year of owning it and, even then, the repair cost was minimal. ...am about to hit 232,000 miles and had the goal to see if it could make 400,000 (had heard of an owner that did hit 400K). However, the 0% financing Nissan is currently offering drew me in so I am now selling my Maxima. Tears will be shed when "she" is driven away.

Love this car
By brandon1031 on 01/12/12 18:54 PM (PST)

1997 Nissan Maxima GLE 4dr Sedan

Bought this car with 120k, and now just hit 161k in a year and a half I can only say one thing-this car is awesome. I've driven brand new cars that dont drive as great as this. Normal things had to have been replaced but nothing that its to expensive. Love this cars power, reliability, roomy interior, and the bose stereo is phenomonal. Not completely crazy about the outside looks, thats the least of my problems. Would reccommend this car to anyone!

UPDATE TO BEST MAX EVER
By jerrymax on 02/26/11 16:59 PM (PST)

1997 Nissan Maxima GLE 4dr Sedan

Just wanted to update the review I wrote back in March 2008 about my 1997 Maxima GLE. At that time I had 154k on the odometer. Last week the car turned 200k for another 46,000 miles worth of trouble-free driving. This car amazes me. I've driven it up and down the East Coast from Maine to North Carolina in all kinds of weather, it is NEVER garaged, yet it still looks like new. It has not had a tune-up in 82,000 miles [had platinum plugs put in] but it always starts and still moves like a rocket when I tap the accelerator. I'm really planning on getting another 200,000 miles out this car and will be happy to drive it the rest of my life if at all possible. I love my Maxima!

That's my baby!
By tonia on 10/05/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Nissan Maxima GLE 4dr Sedan

i bought a 97 GLE in july of 2010 and it was definitely worth the money! It has almost 160k miles now and it still runs really smooth and handles well. A maxima will give you a "need to speed" feeling. Even though i'm 4'11" and this car is already big, i definitely have the same control of someone who is taller. The only problem i noticed was when i was driving the front passenger side was making a "squeaky" sound so i had that checked out and it was because the sway bar links were rusty so i just sprayed WD-40 on it and it was good! i love this car! I'll be buying another maxima no doubt.

Love it!
By LoveMyMaxima on 02/23/10 08:03 AM (PST)

1997 Nissan Maxima GLE 4dr Sedan

I bought this car from my mechanic last year when my 95 Camry became too expensive to repair. I was leary because the car had 243K miles on it; but my mechanic said it would most likely go to 300K. I'm at 254K now and have had no problems at all. The car is so quiet that I sometimes think it has stalled. It has the original stereo, which I hate, and the interior could have been better maintined (I think the last owner always drove with the sun roof open..dust and dirt caught in places I can't seem to reach). I cannot complain about this car. Mechanically and speed-wise, I love it. It has been quite reliable.

What A Great Vehicle
By Pleased Customer on 12/07/08 07:09 AM (PST)

1997 Nissan Maxima GLE 4dr Sedan

I purchased my Nissan at 32000 miles,I now have 394,000 miles. I still get excellent gas mileage 24 city and 30 hwy. This vehicle is driven slightly over 1000 miles weekly. I replaced the alternator due to a recall, only oil changes as recommended, tires and of course brakes. The Bose stereo system still sounds awesome. Slight tear on driver leather seat. If you perform the maintenance required on this auto I can surely guarantee you will find this car to be a keeper.I will continue to drive this car until sadly it has to go to the "Automobile Haven". This is truly is a well handling vehicle on highway.

Excellent Car
By Nismo2010 on 12/06/08 23:23 PM (PST)

1997 Nissan Maxima GLE 4dr Sedan

This is my second Maxima and just love these cars. My first was a 98 SE 5 spd and thought it was great, wish I would not have sold it. But now I have a 97 GLE auto with all the goodies and like this car just as much. I bough the 97 with 179k and had to replace a few things, knock sensor, 02 sensor and the axles. I did the work myself so the repair cost was very cheap. I have 190k on it now and it's still running great and I plan to keep it until it dies. I would highly recommend the 4th Gen (95- 99) Maximas to anyone who wants a 4 dr sports car with comfort, good stereo, and reliability. Thanks Nissan!

WOW
By KeeponpatH on 06/25/08 23:04 PM (PDT)

1997 Nissan Maxima GLE 4dr Sedan

I have taken over my uncle's car who drives a lot, now I got this car at 300,000 miles. Now it's at 330,000 miles, and it still runs great. Replaced starter, need to replace alternator now, and other stuff like brakes and such. It still gives the people "wow.." when I tell them how much mileage is on the car.