Used 1997 Nissan Maxima GXE Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1997 Nissan Maxima - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Maxima model:

still going
By tothemax

1997 Nissan Maxima GXE 4dr Sedan

I have 286,000 miles on my Max. It has been a great to commute in. Average about 27 mpg most of the time. With the price of cars now, it pays to keep running what you have. Great car!!!

MPG, easy oil changes, fast car for year, great style

Price for parts, brakes always need attention, better rust protection (Northeast)

My Maxima is falling apart....
By Peter

1997 Nissan Maxima GXE 4dr Sedan

I brought car used at 40k miles from my Sister - mint condition, California car. Driven mostly 7-8k per year (light). Powerful, smooth, quiet and great for a road trip, but..... The car is fragile! The starter went out at 65k($375 replace), the front strut bearing plates broke at 75k ($750 including struts and labor), the check-engine light came on at 76k (Evaporator system problem ($650), Rear brake calipers slightly locking up due to frozen/corroded parking mechanism ($600 to fix refurb calipers inc labor). I have no clue why the car is falling apart right before my eyes. I'm going to trade it soon. Sad, what a powerful and smooth vehicle. :-( Peter

Powerful and smooth. Super comfortable over long trips - pretty good gas mileage while on road ~29mpg

Feels disconnected from the road...sort of like you're driving a Farm Combine...or other farm implement.

It just keeps on running
By JHR

1997 Nissan Maxima GXE 4dr Sedan

I have had my Maxima for 11 years. During that time I have only had minor repairs even after 187K miles. What a great car! This is the second of two Maximas and the 4th Nissan/Datsun product I have owned. Great vehicles. Too bad the newer model Maxima's turning radius was so short. I would never own one due to that.

Good looks.

Newer models came with outside temperature gauge and compass.

Maxima 1997
By mrfoxy57

1997 Nissan Maxima GXE 4dr Sedan

This is the best used car i have ever owned. I'm 57 years old... The performance is awesome, the ride is smooth. the gas mileage is amazing when you consider the acceleration. I would HIGHLY recommend this car.

Performance, gas mileage

None...this car is close to perfect

Best car I've ever owned
By DaveCh

1997 Nissan Maxima GXE 4dr Sedan

In seven years and 99,000 miles I never had any problems. I bought the car new and would have drove it into the ground if it hadn't been destroyed in a flood. This car had much better quality than any of the Big Three American cars I've owned. At 99,000 it still didn't need a brake job. The engine is a ten best engine and always had plenty of power especially with the manual which never required any work. Would highly recommmend to someone for the quality and performance and I'm looking for a another 97 Maxima. My wife drives a 2003 Maxima.

Smooth quiet powerful engine.

Sixth gear on the manual transmission but they've done that on the newer Maximas