Fun has Four Doors
By DDW on
1996 Nissan Maxima SE 4dr Sedan
I sold my 1996 Lexus LS 400 and bought this Maxima. Sounds crazy, doesn't it? This car has most of the amenities of the Lexus like leather, sunroof, Bose stereo, etc but is infinitely more entertaining to drive. I have a 5-Speed SE model which has a quoted 0-60 time of just 6.6 seconds. The steering is light but the car responds willingly. The engine is incredibly refined and has torque at virtually any RPM. In mixed driving I'm averaging nearly 33 mpg thanks to the manual transmission (I do a lot of coasting). It has more room inside than its compact exterior suggests and has better visibility than anything sold on the market today. This is a lot of driving enjoyment for just $2500
Favorite Features
The engine. You don't even need to down shift to pass, just squeeze the gas and go. Roomy interior with high-quality controls and materials. Smooth 5 Speed manual. Fuel economy. Glass headlights and fog lights. Bose stereo. Powerful and quiet A/C. I'm 6'4" and fit fine.
Suggested Improvements
Considering that this is a 13 year old car, I'm amazed at how well it has held up. Could use better cupholders, footwell lighting, bigger mirrors, one-touch sunroof, firmer steering feel and auto headlights.