1996 Nissan Maxima Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Maxima model:
Kudos to the Max
By jscott on 06/26/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Nissan Maxima Sedan SE 4dr Sedan

Owned my '96 SE since '96 and have 128K miles of troublefree driving. Original clutch, timing chain, etc. Only replaced battery, brakes and tires. Runs great and body holds up in Northeast. Engine is remarkable--great fuel economy, acceleration/peformance, smooth running. I have all the options-- leather interior, power everything--so car is a nice combination of a luxury family sedan and a sport/touring vehicle.

Poor Long-TermReliability, Nice Interior
By procontrol on 06/13/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Nissan Maxima Sedan GLE 4dr Sedan

Interior is very nice - roomy and comfortable. Mechanical reliability, however, is poor, relative to other imports I've owned (Honda, Acura). As you approach and exceed 100k miles, lots of things start to fail on this car and dealer service and parts costs tend to be very high with mediocre service.

I love this car
By David Berent on 06/12/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Nissan Maxima Sedan GLE 4dr Sedan

This is the best bang for your buck in a 4 door sedan. Fun to drive, great performance. I had no problems until I hit 160K, could go to 200K, but need to move on.

Best car I've ever owned
By ruth on 05/30/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Nissan Maxima Sedan SE 4dr Sedan

Switched from Toyota Camry because of some minor cosmetic and etc. problems. This has been an excellent car with nothing but minor and expected repairs. A joy to drive

Best Kept Secret
By Rangermutt on 05/27/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Nissan Maxima Sedan GXE 4dr Sedan

My wife and I have owned a 1999 GXE for 4 years now and it has had few problems - mostly limited to two oxygen sensors (which required the dealer to replace due to their location). I added alloy wheels and a spoiler and aftermarket radio/cd player. I rarely drive it but really enjoy it when I do. I think for the money it was a great buy and would buy another one after we drive this one another 4 years.

Fabulous Car!
By lllarzzz on 05/27/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Nissan Maxima Sedan SE 4dr Sedan

Bought used @ 65K miles, has been perfect for 2.5 years. Most reliable car I have ever owned. Quite fast with 5-Speed, especially for a car of this size. Handles nicely. Would buy another one in a heartbeat... hard to imaging finding a more solid or reliable used car.

Love this car
By pk509 on 05/22/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Nissan Maxima Sedan SE 4dr Sedan

I bought this car brand spankin' new in December 1995 and have been madly in love ever since. Great performance, excellent road manners, and a fantastic Bose sound system all contribute to how much I love driving this car. At 96000 miles, I've finally had to have the brakes done, it needs a new clutch, CV boots, and some other maintenance, but this car is still running strong and has never, ever let me down. Great fuel economy compared to many cars on the road today.

Buy a Maxima
By the maxima lover on 05/15/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Nissan Maxima Sedan GXE 4dr Sedan

My maxima has 135,000 miles on it and i have never had a problem with it. If you change the oil every 3,000 miles it will last forever.The engine is quick, and powerful. Definetly go with the leather seats, as the fabric smell after 100K. I have upgraded the audio system very easily. No cutting or re- wiring, just pop the new speakers right in. The stock speakers suck if you did not get the Bose option. I just bought a new 2002 maxima and i luv it!!!

I Love My Maxima
By General on 03/07/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1996 Nissan Maxima Sedan GLE 4dr Sedan

I've owned and driven this car for 175,000 miles. The only repair that it needed was a starter. I've put on two sets of brake pads (genuine Nissan) at 85k and 170k. I put new spark plugs in (genuine Nissan) at 170k also. That's all I've done to it besides oil changes! It still doesn't have a rattle or squeak. It sure has treated me well.

perfect blend.
By hydro on 02/19/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1996 Nissan Maxima Sedan SE 4dr Sedan

this car is like a good long island iced tea. it has lots of rum, gin, vodka, triplesec and most importantly TEQUILA!! and it won't give you a hangover in the morning. i bought it at 111k miles, and all the mechanics/car dealer friends were confident in saying it would last up to 200,000 miles or more.