Used 1996 Nissan Maxima Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1996 Nissan Maxima - Consumer Reviews

1996 Nissan Maxima

View reviews for a specific Maxima model:

Deal of the Century
By Brian

1996 Nissan Maxima GXE 4dr Sedan

I bought this car used with 82,000 miles on it. I have put over 100,000 miles on it since I purchased it. I have only had to put new brakes and tires on it. I change the oil every 10,000 miles. Thats right, 10,000 miles. It burns no oil, leaks no oil and runs smooth. It floats smooth at 80mph. The car runs flawless.

Awesome everyday car
By GP

1996 Nissan Maxima SE 4dr Sedan

I bought this car used in April of 2003, and have been very pleased with it. I bought it with 115,900 miles on it and sold it to my brother in August with 134,000. The fuel economy was amazing with the 5-speed - I never got less than 30 mpg on the highway, and even got 35 a few times. I have never had anything major go wrong with it, just the usual maintenence. As my first car, I don't think I could have found a better vehicle. These cars last forever, and nothing beats the always strong and potent VQ30DE!!

Favorite Features

Extremely potent engine, transmission, interior quality and design, reliability, fuel economy.

Suggested Improvements

I have no complaints about this vehicle!!!

What a CAR!!
By Brian

1996 Nissan Maxima SE 4dr Sedan

I recently gave this car to my brotherin law with 236,122 miles and it runs like it was new. The power, comfort and reliability are unbelievable. Everything on the engine is original and the only maintenance is regular oil and filter, tires, brakes and at 110k I replaced the belts, struts and plugs. Don't know why nissan would change such a great engine. My new 02 doesn't even stand up to the 96 as far as reliability or comfort.

Favorite Features

The whole car.

Suggested Improvements

Unfortuniately the body is in need of work. Front fenders are rusting out along with behind the rear doors.

GXE - Inexpensive, Reliable, Luxury
By knowak6

1996 Nissan Maxima GXE 4dr Sedan

Bought my 96' GXE in the winter of 05' for $6,200 (tax, title, 30-day warranty included) with only 58,000 miles on it. Build quality for interior is amazing. Although it was well mantained, car still seemed to be brand new. The engine is seamless but it takes premium (93 grade) fuel, even with that, gas miles are respectable (22-27MPG). Car now has 65,000 miles and I have only done preventive matanence (changed oil, plugs, filters...). Car was a steal for the drivetrain alone, but is cheap luxury for a college student. GXE model came with full power, 12 disc changer, power drivers seat, keyless remote, I bought and put 17 inch Maxima SE rims for the (00-03) model. Great car!!!

Favorite Features

ENGINE, ENGINE, VQ engine is amazing, only rated at 190 HP, but is seamless and powerful. Takes premium fuel, but all aluminum engine is great base to add power to.

Suggested Improvements

Brakes, 4 wheel std. discs. Better cupholders and standard alloy wheels...all of which i believe have been addressed with new maximas....still a wonderfully great car

Still going strong
By UNT84

1996 Nissan Maxima SE 4dr Sedan

I bought my '96 Maxima SE to take to college with me. It was very low mileage and had only 59k miles at 7 yrs old. Now, two years later, it has 114k on it and is still as good as it was when I bought it. I love the leather seats, sunroof, and esp. the Bose audio system. Ordinarily, it gets between 22- 25 miles per gallon and that's a combination of highway and city driving. The only things I would possibly change are the quality of the paint (mine is dark green) and I do wish that it had a manual transmission. It's an awesome car though, and more than likely I will have it until it dies.