Used 1996 Nissan Maxima Sedan Consumer Reviews - 115 Car Reviews | Edmunds

1996 Nissan Maxima Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Maxima model:

Great First Car
By Lonewolf

1996 Nissan Maxima Sedan SE 4dr Sedan

My first car and I love it. Bought it with 113,000 miles and no problems so far. Everything in the car is solid. When shifting, 1st gear has a distinctive lack in power, but after that, it pulls like crazy. Fuel economy isn't as good as I expected, but the performance makes up for it. One thing I wasn't expecting is using premium fuel. I tried regular for a while and I ended up getting worst fuel economy and performance. Now I always use premium.

Torque, build quality, bullet-proof engine, sport suspension (SE).

Front seats need more bolstering, rear of car looks a bit plain, paint quality could be better, 1st gear needs more pull like other gears

I love my car
By Lily

1996 Nissan Maxima Sedan GXE 4dr Sedan

I love this car, it is incredibly fun to drive. It feels like it has more power than the numbers indicate, and the engine is incredibly smooth and light. I have never had any trouble passing someone when I need to, from a stop or on the highway. The steering feels a little loose, but when you get used to the car it can take turns and dip lanes beautifully. For the amount that I beat up on the car (a LOT, I push the car to it's limits more than I should) it has proved incredibly strong and durable. It has never broken down without giving me warning for months beforehand, and it was my fault for being to lazy to get it fixed. This car has sold me on Maximas forever. I love it.

The engine :-) I love love love it. This beautiful engine, I cannot stop raving about it.

Definitely needs snow tires for driving during heavy snow. Other than that, the steering could have a tighter feel (this is also my fault because I beat up my suspension). Sometimes to be at a comfortable reach to the steering wheel, I have to move my seat up more than my legs would like. That's it.

Comfortable Fun Reliable
By JvGinPDX

1996 Nissan Maxima Sedan SE 4dr Sedan

I purchased the car about a year ago from a dealer. The car had 100k miles on it, I have driven it 13k miles. My previous car was a Porsche 924, I liked the sporty handling of the 924. I wanted a larger car, I am 6'3" tall, not many cars are comfortable for a tall person. I test drove a 94 Toyota Camry, it was a quality car, but boring to drive. My Maxima SE handling performance reminded me somewhat of the Porsche. The four wheel disk brakes saved the day when I noticed a car stalled right in front of me on the freeway. I the brakes stopped straight and true when I slammed on the brakes. (I have ABS) The Max more power than I expected. I have just done basic maintenance on the car.

The amount of interior room. The comfort. Wonderful handling and brakes. Getting over 30 mpg on the freeway in 5th gear. Overall reliability. I have also owned Nissan pickups. Nissan seems as good as Honda or Toyota, but seem to sell for less money.

The car side mirrors have considerable blind spots. That is my only concern about the car. Perhaps someone who is not as tall as me may not have this problem. I wish the car was a foot longer, it needs more trunk space.

Great car, very reliable
By Michael

1996 Nissan Maxima Sedan GLE 4dr Sedan

Bought my Maxima at 3 years-old and coming off a lease with 30k. I've driven it 100k in the last 7 years and the car has performed almost flawlessly. Well equipped with leather, moon roof, Bose premium audio and alloys. I drive it as a commuter car in town and a lot of business trips on the highway and it performs great in either case. Maintenance has been routine, minor items (brakes, exhaust, battery, tires). Only hiccup was a new anti-knock sensor that put me back $700. The 3.0L V-6 in these cars might be one of the best drive trains ever built.

Smooth running engine. Comfortable, functional cockpit.

Hate buying premium fuel when gas prices are high.

awesome car
By ronyn49

1996 Nissan Maxima Sedan SE 4dr Sedan

I bought this car at around 95k miles and it now has about 109k. The engine is smooth and quiet and like all nissan engines, is very torquey and produces power the second you need it. The handling is a bit too soft, but that's the price for a smooth ride. Interior quality and the BOSE stereo are very good, but the deck is not very shock resistant and the digital display is going out. Otherwise, a very good car at a very good price

Great torque, great ride, great interior, great stereo.

Stiffer suspension, better stereo deck, could use a 6th gear for better fuel efficiency and smoother high speeds