1996 Nissan Maxima - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Maxima model:
My Nissan
By Peter Sliwa on 06/10/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Nissan Maxima GLE 4dr Sedan

I loves my Nissan, It's the best car I have had so far. Compared to my dads 1992 Mercedes S class, my car is much more fun to drive.

Reliable and affordable
By amb4081 on 06/10/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Nissan Maxima SE 4dr Sedan

I purchased the car in early 2000 with 48K miles on it. I have only had to replace mostly maintenance items. I had one of the three O2 sensors fail ($90), knock sensor($150), and AC fan motor($can't remember). Everything else has been maintenace. I am very pleased with the car. Mine is a 5- speed manual and it has good pick-up for a larger sedan.

Nissan 1996 GLE by Long time owner
By crouchde on 05/20/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Nissan Maxima GLE 4dr Sedan

A solidly built, good looking and comfortable car with excellent performance and handling. I owned a 1986 for 10 years and have owned my 1996 for 7 1/2 years. I'll be glad to buy a third.

One of the best cars in the market.
By VET on 04/30/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Nissan Maxima GLE 4dr Sedan

I bought this car (1996 Maxima GLE) from a dealership in Sep 2000. It had 48K miles on it. Currently my car has 199000 miles on it and Iam about to trade (Dealer agreed to pay $3000 without breaking a sweat)this in with a new maxima. All I have done is change oil every 3000 miles and ofcourse change tyres and brake pads etc. Maximas have arguably the best V6 of any sedan in the market. And the car is extemely reliable. It gives 24-25 mpg in a 70/30 mix of highway/city driving, which is not bad at all considering its power.

Great car
By Phillygirl on 04/14/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Nissan Maxima GLE 4dr Sedan

This car is great to drive, handles well, and has plenty of interior room. I haven't any major concerns with this car in all the time I've had it. Car was stolen a few years ago. Thieves were caught in the car (in a high speed chase no less!) and the front end was torn up. Insurance wouldn't total the car, just repair it. Even so, the car still rides wonderfully! When I don't have the kids, I don't feel like I'm driving a conspicuous family car. All around, the car has been wonderful (even through harsh Minnesota, Philly, and New England winters). It has 155K miles on it and hasn't missed a beat. Hope the newer models are just as great!

High Miles - Lots of Fun
By BRG on 03/24/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1996 Nissan Maxima SE 4dr Sedan

I purchased my Maxima GLE from a relative that bought it several years ago. When he bought the car it had just a tad over 100k on it. He commmuted about 100 miles per day and now it has 155k miles. It took real good care of it and kept all the maintenace up to date. Still runs like a bat out of hell when it hits the on ramp with the hammer down. I drive about 20k per year and I think the Maxima will do the job just fine. A great car for under $4k.

GREAT CAR
By TUFEEK on 02/14/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1996 Nissan Maxima GLE 4dr Sedan

Bought used (2 years old). Has been a pleasure to own and drive.

Love It!
By jeromerobles on 02/10/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1996 Nissan Maxima GLE 4dr Sedan

I bought my GLE Maxima for only 4700 dollars with 126000 miles on it, but I know it doesnt matter for Nissan since it has a good reputation of reliability and the mileage are mostly highway miles. It runs really fast and I am surprised I can easily accelerate without feeling it. Just have to be careful with speed limits. This is my first big car and I really was surprised how good she handles.

Very Good Vehicle!
By getgopi on 01/19/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1996 Nissan Maxima SE 4dr Sedan

I have had this car for 8 years now. I live in New England and the winters can be pretty hard. The Max does a good job on heavy snow thanks to a powerful engine and effortless shifting. Wide field of view through the windshield. NE weather and roads can be hard on the wipers (need to be replaced once a year) and paint. Some exhaust components under the car became rusted and had to be replaced in 2002 ($150 at Midas). Using rust inhibitor at the local car wash now and then should prevent this from happening. Windows and Moonroof still function well. Factory installed Bose audio still sounds terrific. Climate control system continues to be effective.

The BEST car for the money!
By RGC on 01/08/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1996 Nissan Maxima GXE 4dr Sedan

I love my Maxima! I test drove every car I could around the $6-7,000 range and NOTHING performed as well. My criteria: 1) Price ($6-7000), 2) High Reliability and Safety ratings from Consumer reports, etc. 3) 4-Door sedan with a comfortable, stylish interior, and 4) THE BEST RACE CAR FEEL FOR THE MONEY. I succeed better then I could have imagined. I'm not wealthy (26 years old) but for the money there is nothing that can beat my Maxima. I gave this review all 10's with the understanding that you only have $6,500 to spend. Let the speeding ticket I got the second day I owned this car be a testament to it's performance! Good Luck!