Used 1996 Nissan Maxima Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1996 Nissan Maxima Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Maxima model:

I will never own anything but a Maxima!
By My Buttercup

1996 Nissan Maxima Sedan GLE 4dr Sedan

Her name is Buttercup and she can pass anyone. My Maxima was given to me by my son in '03. She had 93,000 miles on her when I got her. Since then she has reliably gotten me up and down the East coast and to jobs no less than 50 miles round trip. The only thing I have had to do for my Maxima is battery, tires, starter, and oil change, I hit a deer with this car but this car's reliability, handling, and of course my driving, prevented a catastrophe. Whenever she needs something, she tells me, and as long as I listen, we're both OK. After 30 years of driving, I will never own another car! There's nothing better!

Handling, handling, handling! This car can pass with ease and stop on a dime. Love her!

Gas mileage. My buttercup can get up to 25 mpg but in today's economy you need more. Her only flaw!

The best!!!!!
By Snowymaxima

1996 Nissan Maxima Sedan GLE 4dr Sedan

This is the best car I ever owned. I purchased my 1996 Nissan Maxima GLE from a private party in 2003 when the car had 55,000 miles. I am now at 140k miles, and the original engine, transmission, exhaust system etc. What a car it has been!!!!This 14 year old car is more reliable than the new cars. Why can't Nissan replicate this car, with all of the high ratings it has gotten over the years. The Maxima after 2003 was never the same, and the Altima is a cheap joke. I was recently starting to look to purchase a newer auto, however with what I know about the car, and after reading the reviews I may hold on to this car a lot longer than I thought. What a car Nissan!!!!

Power, comfort, style, design, reliability, engine, transmission, audio, and I can keep going etc.......

Only the fuel economy, however it is to be expected with a car this powerful.

Have loved my Maxima for years
By LMS-Denver

1996 Nissan Maxima Sedan SE 4dr Sedan

This is the best car I have ever owned, and I can honestly say I've never had an issue with it. It tops the charts in reliability -- I closely followed the maintenance schedule and haven't had a major repair in 14 years. That's impressive. It's a comfortable, nicely styled work horse that does well in all conditions -- snow in particular. Not many people still enjoy driving their cars after 14 years. While it will never get the looks my Mercedes SLK does, I can't say enough about my Maxima always being there for me. A terrific car all the way around.

Reliability! Sporty but practical Smooth drive Intuitive internal gadget placement

I'm having a hard time thinking of one. OK, if I must -- I wished the back seat windows would go down all the way. Seriously, that's all I can come up with. Great job Nissan.

Excellent Car- Great Quality
By Excellent Car- Great

1996 Nissan Maxima Sedan GXE 4dr Sedan

My 1996 Nissan Maxima GXE has reached a milestone. Now at 250,000 and no signs of stopping. I drive 78 to 100 miles a day for work and couldnt think of a better car to drive. Every time I think I am asking to much of the car, it just keeps on going. I have had the car since Dec 2005 at 132K, Maintenance has averaged about $1,500/ year (spread out over the entire year- oil changes, tire replacement, alternator, hoses, air conditioning service) Also got new shocks and struts... I usually have 1 maybe 2 major repairs a year like the alternator, struts... nothing out of the ordinary

Leather seats, room in the interior- the console is not right up on you, you can move around, great pick up

I know when these cars where made Nissan had no idea about $3 dollar 93- premium gas, but that would be my biggest complaint. I know you can use other octanes but the car clearly runs the best on premium

Gets Me By
By Stevo

1996 Nissan Maxima Sedan SE 4dr Sedan

This car has been overall pretty decent. As far as most FWD cars from that era, it performs pretty well. Steering is a bit light though, making handling not too enjoyable. Stock suspension is complete trash - a lot of body roll and ridiculous ride height, even with SE setup. Exterior design is quite bland, especially the 95-96 models. The 97-99 look much better. Same with the interior, very bland but at least its simply laid out. The cabin seems cramped for some reason, partly because the ceiling isn't as high as most other cars I drive. For a 140k mile car, it's been pretty reliable. Hasn't ever left me on the side of the road, but stranded in my own driveway interestingly enough.

VQ30 is virtually bulletproof but not completely invincible against high mileage. Pretty decent performance for a mid-90's era V6. Pretty roomy save for headroom.

Bland exterior and interior design, 5-speed transmission needs work, stock suspension even SE needs major overhauling to be claimed as a "sport" trim. Gas mileage is a bit disappointing for a V6.