1996 Nissan Maxima Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Maxima model:
Amazing
By my baby on 11/03/08 16:14 PM (PST)

1996 Nissan Maxima Sedan SE 4dr Sedan

Ive had this car for about a year and haven't had any problems besides for an alternator because I got subs. I got it at 105,613 and now I'm about 125,698 but I haven't seen any loss of power or handling. This car is very fast for it size and weight. It's very comfortable and has a smooth ride. I don't think I'll ever sell my car. I have people coming up to me now thinking it's a newer car than it is. This car is so much fun to drive even with an automatic

Reliable and sometimes fun
By JohnSmith on 08/29/08 16:16 PM (PDT)

1996 Nissan Maxima Sedan SE 4dr Sedan

This car is overall a pretty good car. I haven't had any trouble with the car super reliable. The overall exterior design is a bit sleepy and boring, especially the rear end... sort of blends in a too much. Interior build quality is decent, not really up to par with competitors. Stock suspension (even the SE sport version) is pretty soft and not very sporty. 4 door sports car? Not if it's FWD.

Totalled yet still drives perfect
By Maxima rules on 08/09/08 17:41 PM (PDT)

1996 Nissan Maxima Sedan GLE 4dr Sedan

I bought this car from my dad 3 yrs ago and it only had about 70k miles. About a year later I was involved in a front end accident (not my fault) and the car was deemed totaled by the insurance company. They gave me a check for more than I bought the car, I turned around and bought the car back from the insurance company for $700, drove it off the lot and to this day I have not fixed it. All I do is oil change it every 4 mos or so, change tires and brakes, and drive drive drive. It's at over 115k miles now and still drives amazing!! Maxima's are a beast!

96 Max
By Chris on 07/28/08 14:13 PM (PDT)

1996 Nissan Maxima Sedan GLE 4dr Sedan

This is my second car I have had. I had a Mitsubishi Mirage but didn't like it and wanted to have a better looking car. This car is awesome. The interior is my favorite part I have black leather and I feel like I'm in a town car. The back of the car is a bit boring, but I put 18" chrome rims on it and everyone is like what when I say its a 96. They thinks its a 2003 or something. The car does stall on me occasionally and it does get annoying but I think I just need to clean out the fuel line. I now I have 160,000 miles on it and its a lot faster than people think.

Best Car Overall
By Coastal Commuter on 09/03/07 14:08 PM (PDT)

1996 Nissan Maxima Sedan GLE 4dr Sedan

This was a great buy and while we have other vehicles, this is still running with the original motor and transmission at 300,000+ miles. A real winner all around.

Great First Car
By Lonewolf on 08/01/07 13:40 PM (PDT)

1996 Nissan Maxima Sedan SE 4dr Sedan

My first car and I love it. Bought it with 113,000 miles and no problems so far. Everything in the car is solid. When shifting, 1st gear has a distinctive lack in power, but after that, it pulls like crazy. Fuel economy isn't as good as I expected, but the performance makes up for it. One thing I wasn't expecting is using premium fuel. I tried regular for a while and I ended up getting worst fuel economy and performance. Now I always use premium.

I love my car
By Lily on 04/16/07 07:21 AM (PDT)

1996 Nissan Maxima Sedan GXE 4dr Sedan

I love this car, it is incredibly fun to drive. It feels like it has more power than the numbers indicate, and the engine is incredibly smooth and light. I have never had any trouble passing someone when I need to, from a stop or on the highway. The steering feels a little loose, but when you get used to the car it can take turns and dip lanes beautifully. For the amount that I beat up on the car (a LOT, I push the car to it's limits more than I should) it has proved incredibly strong and durable. It has never broken down without giving me warning for months beforehand, and it was my fault for being to lazy to get it fixed. This car has sold me on Maximas forever. I love it.

Comfortable Fun Reliable
By JvGinPDX on 12/21/06 18:56 PM (PST)

1996 Nissan Maxima Sedan SE 4dr Sedan

I purchased the car about a year ago from a dealer. The car had 100k miles on it, I have driven it 13k miles. My previous car was a Porsche 924, I liked the sporty handling of the 924. I wanted a larger car, I am 6'3" tall, not many cars are comfortable for a tall person. I test drove a 94 Toyota Camry, it was a quality car, but boring to drive. My Maxima SE handling performance reminded me somewhat of the Porsche. The four wheel disk brakes saved the day when I noticed a car stalled right in front of me on the freeway. I the brakes stopped straight and true when I slammed on the brakes. (I have ABS) The Max more power than I expected. I have just done basic maintenance on the car.

Great car, very reliable
By Michael on 11/08/06 11:23 AM (PST)

1996 Nissan Maxima Sedan GLE 4dr Sedan

Bought my Maxima at 3 years-old and coming off a lease with 30k. I've driven it 100k in the last 7 years and the car has performed almost flawlessly. Well equipped with leather, moon roof, Bose premium audio and alloys. I drive it as a commuter car in town and a lot of business trips on the highway and it performs great in either case. Maintenance has been routine, minor items (brakes, exhaust, battery, tires). Only hiccup was a new anti-knock sensor that put me back $700. The 3.0L V-6 in these cars might be one of the best drive trains ever built.

awesome car
By ronyn49 on 09/24/06 20:30 PM (PDT)

1996 Nissan Maxima Sedan SE 4dr Sedan

I bought this car at around 95k miles and it now has about 109k. The engine is smooth and quiet and like all nissan engines, is very torquey and produces power the second you need it. The handling is a bit too soft, but that's the price for a smooth ride. Interior quality and the BOSE stereo are very good, but the deck is not very shock resistant and the digital display is going out. Otherwise, a very good car at a very good price