Used 1996 Nissan Maxima Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1996 Nissan Maxima Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Maxima model:

My Nissan
By Peter Sliwa

1996 Nissan Maxima Sedan GLE 4dr Sedan

I loves my Nissan, It's the best car I have had so far. Compared to my dads 1992 Mercedes S class, my car is much more fun to drive.

The Leather interior and the BOSE audio system!!

Reliable and affordable
By amb4081

1996 Nissan Maxima Sedan SE 4dr Sedan

I purchased the car in early 2000 with 48K miles on it. I have only had to replace mostly maintenance items. I had one of the three O2 sensors fail ($90), knock sensor($150), and AC fan motor($can't remember). Everything else has been maintenace. I am very pleased with the car. Mine is a 5- speed manual and it has good pick-up for a larger sedan.

Powerful and dependable 3.0liter VQ engine, smooth acceleration, good gas mileage (25 city, 30 highway), decent Bose stereo.

A stereo with more bass would be nice and more sound deadening material to prevent rattles.

Nissan 1996 GLE by Long time owner
By crouchde

1996 Nissan Maxima Sedan GLE 4dr Sedan

A solidly built, good looking and comfortable car with excellent performance and handling. I owned a 1986 for 10 years and have owned my 1996 for 7 1/2 years. I'll be glad to buy a third.

Handling and acceleration (w/192 horses) are superb. Quiet at highway speeds, I can hardly hear the engine. Great Bose stereo and CD player as well...Air conditioning/heating system is superb and maintains the temperature set by the driver very well, andit does it quietly.

Needs more cup holders. Also,with only one non-directional map light, the passenger can't read a map at night without interfering with the driver somewhat. Passenger seat could have improved lumbar support. Other than that, no improvements needed.

One of the best cars in the market.
By VET

1996 Nissan Maxima Sedan GLE 4dr Sedan

I bought this car (1996 Maxima GLE) from a dealership in Sep 2000. It had 48K miles on it. Currently my car has 199000 miles on it and Iam about to trade (Dealer agreed to pay $3000 without breaking a sweat)this in with a new maxima. All I have done is change oil every 3000 miles and ofcourse change tyres and brake pads etc. Maximas have arguably the best V6 of any sedan in the market. And the car is extemely reliable. It gives 24-25 mpg in a 70/30 mix of highway/city driving, which is not bad at all considering its power.

V6 Engine, pwr everything!, Bose Sound system

All improvements I have think of have been addessed in the newer models, especially the 2004.

Great car
By Phillygirl

1996 Nissan Maxima Sedan GLE 4dr Sedan

This car is great to drive, handles well, and has plenty of interior room. I haven't any major concerns with this car in all the time I've had it. Car was stolen a few years ago. Thieves were caught in the car (in a high speed chase no less!) and the front end was torn up. Insurance wouldn't total the car, just repair it. Even so, the car still rides wonderfully! When I don't have the kids, I don't feel like I'm driving a conspicuous family car. All around, the car has been wonderful (even through harsh Minnesota, Philly, and New England winters). It has 155K miles on it and hasn't missed a beat. Hope the newer models are just as great!

sunroof, leather seats, bose stereo!!, size of back seat, climate control, remote windows

wish that at least one of the rear seats would fold down so that we can put large items in the trunk - but I've needed that like, twice, in the 8 years I've had the car.