1996 Nissan Maxima - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Maxima model:
Hate to sell it
By moshea on 07/07/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Nissan Maxima SE 4dr Sedan

This car has been fantastic. The only reason I'm selling is because I have no need to drive it anymore. Bought a 96 (stick) because several friends had 95s and 97s, and haven't had a single problem the entire 50,000 miles I've driven it. Ride is smooth and fun, interior is comfortable, Bose sound is great, and I think the older body style is better than the newer models. Great deal in a used vehicle, no doubt.

GREATEST CAR MONEY CAN BUY and fast
By Tru on 06/20/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Nissan Maxima GXE 4dr Sedan

this is my 3rd maxima and this is my favorite. it's a 1996 gxe which i turned into an SE in over 5 months. spoiler, sunroof, custom leather seats, exhaust, air intake. and 2002 SE wheels. Maximas are the greatest cars of all time. I cannot believe I'm selling so i can buy an american *****. Sorry to my fellow Maxima owners. I need a v-8 Trans AM. DO NOT GET ME WRONG Maximas are still fast and luxurious this is going to be the first American Car i am buying and if one this goes wrong I'm going back to the Maxima. If you are just wondering stock the Maxima runs 15.9 and my maxima now runs 14.66. these cars are fast stock and have great potential.:)

It keeps going.
By drivealot on 06/17/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Nissan Maxima GLE 4dr Sedan

I have had an altima for 3 yrs and now have a 96 maxima GLE Maxima. At 180K, I have very few noises and excellent stero and loads of power or at least use to. Unfortnately, I was in an accident in my Maxima, had to have AC replaced at 150K and transmission at 155K . I have not figured out my power loss reason, but I have loved every minute in that care and got more than my moneys worth out of it. I would recommend it to anyone.

Maxima #3
By Tom Hudson on 06/15/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Nissan Maxima SE 4dr Sedan

This is our 3rd Maxima and 2nd SE model. The styling is still fresh and actually looks better than the 2002 model. Ride comfort is wonderful, even on 1-driver 800+ mile trips. Exterior paint is almost like new. Power to spare but only when you ask for it. California emissions testing always shows this car to be at less than 5% of allowables. Service techs have trouble believing the numbers from a 7 yr old car. Good arrangement and room up front. Quite ample rear leg room for non-giants. If Nissan keeps making them, we'll continue to buy Maximas.

Can't Afford To Sell It
By Art Nor on 05/25/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Nissan Maxima SE 4dr Sedan

We bought our Maxima SE w/auto transmission after considering the V-6 versions of the Honda Accord, Toyota Camry and Avalon. Felt the Maxima gave us the best bang for the buck and the "Max" has not disappointed us. Engine gives excellent performance, uses no oil, and gets 28 mpg on road trips. We have concluded we'll be keeping her for at least 3 more years.

Nissan Maxima
By timee on 05/25/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

have 200,000 and it runs great.....never have had a major problem

Great Car
By Brian Judd on 04/07/02 00:00 AM (PST)

1996 Nissan Maxima SE 4dr Sedan

This is my second Maxima, I sold the previous one with over 200000 miles, this one is almost there!

Best Bang for the Buck
By Georgia on 03/27/02 00:00 AM (PST)

1996 Nissan Maxima GXE 4dr Sedan

I bought this car for my wife who uses it every day. I have not had to take it back for ANYTHING. Since we've owned it I've replaced the battery and tires. I would definitley buy it again.

Max Air
By Gator on 03/23/02 00:00 AM (PST)

1996 Nissan Maxima GLE 4dr Sedan

A Ture sports sedan. Fly on the road. For those like a 4dr sedan but still want some fun to drive. Accelaration is word class, interior is luxury. A reliable car as well, I bought it used with 60K mile. Now it has almost 100K, and I have never need any major service. This is my 2nd Maxima, my first one is a 94 GXE, which carries only 160hp. The 96 GLE is definte an upgrade. I have also tested 2001 and 2002 Max. Feel like my 96 is not any slower than the 255hp 2002 and even faster than the 225hp 2001 model, probably because of the light weight. I will drive it till the wheel comes of or until I can affor a BMW 5 series as I feel no other car has better combination of sporty and luxury.

Maxine
By Ericba13 on 03/21/02 00:00 AM (PST)

1996 Nissan Maxima SE 4dr Sedan

I love my Maxima. The rear is slightly ugly but after 6 years, I'm used to it. The car handles well, brakes are solid, and the car has solid power. I picked mine up for around 20K, and there was nothing out there at the time that could've given me the size, reliability, power, and pure fun of a Maxima for that price.