1996 Nissan Maxima - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Maxima model:
My Maxima
By Mike NYC on 10/31/02 00:00 AM (PST)

1996 Nissan Maxima GLE 4dr Sedan

I`ve only owned the car almost 2 yrs and i put at least 30,000 on it and the only thing I had to do to it was brake pads(dealer pads are the only way to go).I had the car painted since then and some other things like rims,music,suspension and a ton of other things. I`ve pretty much bonded with it the car,it has been very good to me thus far.From gas milage to reliability no bigger bang for your buck.Everyone at one point or another should own a Maxima one day.My parents borrow the car from time to time and they ask me to sell it.....

My Maxima
By Khanh on 10/23/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Nissan Maxima GXE 4dr Sedan

Get car, I just traded it in for a Pathfinder, the car never had any problem. All you have to do is change the oil, transmission, and filters (gas & air) and the car keeps going and going, if I wasn't starting a family, I would still own this vehicle. One thing nice is you don;t have to warm the car before driving... overall, it's one of the best cars I've own

I love this car
By Mr Maximus on 10/22/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Nissan Maxima GXE 4dr Sedan

I just bought a '96 Maxima GXE 5-Speed. It's gorgeous and it hauls ass - it's the fastest car I've ever owned. I love Nissans. I had an '85 300ZX that was bulletproof (until my roomate totaled it) I just sold my 2001 Silverado - it was just too expensive to keep. I got the Maxima for under $6K and I am really happy with it. I've only owned it for a day, but I'm already in love with the power and ride. It almost has 100K miles, so I know I will have to put some money into it for maintenance.

Maxima long term review
By madmax1 on 10/17/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Nissan Maxima GXE 4dr Sedan

Driven car for past 5 years. Very reliabile, has been in shop for only periodic maintenance and to replace odometer, which quit working around 75k. Currently have over 150000 miles on the car and it is in great shape. I have been looking for new vehicle with the same value to performance ratio and still cannot find anything comparable.

Only car I will ever buy again
By Brian Judd on 10/05/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Nissan Maxima GLE 4dr Sedan

This is the 2nd Maxima I have owned, I have driven each of them over 200,000 miles. I am now looking for my 3rd.

Spent a bit to keep it up, but great car
By rustysdad on 08/30/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Nissan Maxima SE 4dr Sedan

Just turned 100,000 miles. The car has been a pleasure. I'd recommend it to anyone. Did have to spend $1500.00 to replace the clutch and rebuild the 5 speed transmission. Never any other problems. There's no better combination of styling, economy, power, reliability out there as far as I'm concerned.

My mistress
By Nismax on 08/03/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Nissan Maxima GXE 4dr Sedan

albeit a patient economical one! This is my second Maxi - I had a 96 SE that was a write off after my wife did a number on it - and I found this on a dealer lot - 5 spd GXE. This tranny has been so much fun to drive and I have nothing but wear and tear items as far as maintenance - tires, plugs, wipers, etc. Gas mileage is wonderful and the great thing is so many people secretly admire this car - even camry owners! Will drive this as long as possible and perhaps upgrade to I35 or 540i

Four Door Sports Car
By maxsab on 08/02/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Nissan Maxima GLE 4dr Sedan

I've had the car for about 2 months and it's been great. The BOSE audio system sounds good IMO and the leather seats are great for cornering. It handles brilliantly for a 6 year old sports sedan in family sedan clothes. The engine really deserves to be on the ten best list (I just wish I had the stick shift). I've driven it over 5000 miles in 3 months and enjoyed every one of them. Best of all, the cops will never suspect any speeding is going on with this "family" sedan.

its the best!
By youngest max driver on 07/28/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Nissan Maxima SE 4dr Sedan

I have now had my Maxima SE for four years. I bought it used in 99 as a 96 model. I haven't had any major problems with it yet. The fuel pump is fine, the altenator is fine, and the car will stop on a dime! Even though it squeaks I think it's the best 4 wheel brake car around!

Hate to drive, Love this car
By Laivdoc on 07/14/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Nissan Maxima SE 4dr Sedan

I don't like to drive, so to compensate for my distaste for this essential part of life, I pamper myself with a car that makes it tolerable, or in this case downright fun. I have the SE 5- speed, having previously owned 3 Nissan Z cars and Ford Probe GT. The last two had been 5-speeds as well. Believe it or not, the Maxima outperforms them all. The shifter is a dream, the clutch neither too heavy nor too light, and the power is a blast. Handling is superb. The seats are very comfortable and the sound system is as good as any factory system I've heard. When this car finally bites the dust, I'll get another 5-speed SE to replace it.