1996 Nissan Maxima Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Maxima model:
Awesome car, that's why mine isn't for sale!
By weigel5 on 04/16/12 11:10 AM (PDT)

1996 Nissan Maxima Sedan SE 4dr Sedan

I bought this car new and still have it today. If you can get your hands on one, buy it! Other than basic maintenance, I've had very little problems. I hope to have it another 16yrs :)

Amazing car
By flyboy76 on 01/24/11 23:12 PM (PST)

1996 Nissan Maxima Sedan SE 4dr Sedan

I bought my nissan maxima with 64,000 km. Now the car has 250,000 km on it and it isn't showing any problems. Everything works still, heated seats electric seats, heated mirrors, radio.. Everything works. The only thing I've had to do to the car is regular maintenance (brakes oil change, had to put in a water pump) I recently had to replace the gas take which was odd, it rusted out in one spot but i foudn a used one in mint shape for 300 bucks.. This car is the most reliable car, best performing car, fun to drive, best on gas, best sound system you will find for the price... I don't have any desire to get a new car and the car is a 96 and looks just as stylish as any 2011 car..

This is an awesome car!
By Tracie on 06/14/10 05:53 AM (PDT)

1996 Nissan Maxima Sedan SE 4dr Sedan

I have had many cars, but there will NEVER be another great car like my 96 Max SE - bought with 45K, gave to my 16 yr old at 120K and he has had through high school and now through college and has 215K on it. Now lately it has needed an alternator, starter and now a water pump. Well those costs for a college aged kids car are minimal compared to a car payment. Max's engine and transmission are still better than my new car that I have. Don't have a problem putting about $600 repairs because I know it will run for another 50K miles. A while back, he hit an Explorer hitch and that darn Max drove him home safely. I love love love this car! She's part of the family!

Have loved my Maxima for years
By LMS-Denver on 02/03/10 10:47 AM (PST)

1996 Nissan Maxima Sedan SE 4dr Sedan

This is the best car I have ever owned, and I can honestly say I've never had an issue with it. It tops the charts in reliability -- I closely followed the maintenance schedule and haven't had a major repair in 14 years. That's impressive. It's a comfortable, nicely styled work horse that does well in all conditions -- snow in particular. Not many people still enjoy driving their cars after 14 years. While it will never get the looks my Mercedes SLK does, I can't say enough about my Maxima always being there for me. A terrific car all the way around.

Gets Me By
By Stevo on 09/13/09 22:49 PM (PDT)

1996 Nissan Maxima Sedan SE 4dr Sedan

This car has been overall pretty decent. As far as most FWD cars from that era, it performs pretty well. Steering is a bit light though, making handling not too enjoyable. Stock suspension is complete trash - a lot of body roll and ridiculous ride height, even with SE setup. Exterior design is quite bland, especially the 95-96 models. The 97-99 look much better. Same with the interior, very bland but at least its simply laid out. The cabin seems cramped for some reason, partly because the ceiling isn't as high as most other cars I drive. For a 140k mile car, it's been pretty reliable. Hasn't ever left me on the side of the road, but stranded in my own driveway interestingly enough.

Fun has Four Doors
By DDW on 12/04/08 20:04 PM (PST)

1996 Nissan Maxima Sedan SE 4dr Sedan

I sold my 1996 Lexus LS 400 and bought this Maxima. Sounds crazy, doesn't it? This car has most of the amenities of the Lexus like leather, sunroof, Bose stereo, etc but is infinitely more entertaining to drive. I have a 5-Speed SE model which has a quoted 0-60 time of just 6.6 seconds. The steering is light but the car responds willingly. The engine is incredibly refined and has torque at virtually any RPM. In mixed driving I'm averaging nearly 33 mpg thanks to the manual transmission (I do a lot of coasting). It has more room inside than its compact exterior suggests and has better visibility than anything sold on the market today. This is a lot of driving enjoyment for just $2500

Amazing
By my baby on 11/03/08 16:14 PM (PST)

1996 Nissan Maxima Sedan SE 4dr Sedan

Ive had this car for about a year and haven't had any problems besides for an alternator because I got subs. I got it at 105,613 and now I'm about 125,698 but I haven't seen any loss of power or handling. This car is very fast for it size and weight. It's very comfortable and has a smooth ride. I don't think I'll ever sell my car. I have people coming up to me now thinking it's a newer car than it is. This car is so much fun to drive even with an automatic

Reliable and sometimes fun
By JohnSmith on 08/29/08 16:16 PM (PDT)

1996 Nissan Maxima Sedan SE 4dr Sedan

This car is overall a pretty good car. I haven't had any trouble with the car super reliable. The overall exterior design is a bit sleepy and boring, especially the rear end... sort of blends in a too much. Interior build quality is decent, not really up to par with competitors. Stock suspension (even the SE sport version) is pretty soft and not very sporty. 4 door sports car? Not if it's FWD.

Great First Car
By Lonewolf on 08/01/07 13:40 PM (PDT)

1996 Nissan Maxima Sedan SE 4dr Sedan

My first car and I love it. Bought it with 113,000 miles and no problems so far. Everything in the car is solid. When shifting, 1st gear has a distinctive lack in power, but after that, it pulls like crazy. Fuel economy isn't as good as I expected, but the performance makes up for it. One thing I wasn't expecting is using premium fuel. I tried regular for a while and I ended up getting worst fuel economy and performance. Now I always use premium.

Comfortable Fun Reliable
By JvGinPDX on 12/21/06 18:56 PM (PST)

1996 Nissan Maxima Sedan SE 4dr Sedan

I purchased the car about a year ago from a dealer. The car had 100k miles on it, I have driven it 13k miles. My previous car was a Porsche 924, I liked the sporty handling of the 924. I wanted a larger car, I am 6'3" tall, not many cars are comfortable for a tall person. I test drove a 94 Toyota Camry, it was a quality car, but boring to drive. My Maxima SE handling performance reminded me somewhat of the Porsche. The four wheel disk brakes saved the day when I noticed a car stalled right in front of me on the freeway. I the brakes stopped straight and true when I slammed on the brakes. (I have ABS) The Max more power than I expected. I have just done basic maintenance on the car.