Used 1996 Nissan Maxima Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1996 Nissan Maxima Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Maxima model:

Awesome car, that's why mine isn't for sale!
By weigel5

1996 Nissan Maxima Sedan SE 4dr Sedan

I bought this car new and still have it today. If you can get your hands on one, buy it! Other than basic maintenance, I've had very little problems. I hope to have it another 16yrs :)

None that I can think of.

The greatest car ever!
By mcrockett

1996 Nissan Maxima Sedan GXE 4dr Sedan

I brought by 1996 Maxima at a public auto auction in Dec 2005 for $2,800. The car was at 132K miles. Today in Nov 2011 I have almost 325K originial miles. This car has paid for itself over and over. I have no major problems only routine maintainence (oil changes, brakes,...). Ive had it tuned up twice. After 180K I stopped passing the MD Emission test but who cares the car is safe and reliable. I drive almost 100 miles a day for work and she still moves great. I have done several creative things including putting leather seats in from another Maxima, better radio from another Maxima AC controls and power window & door switches. Just a great Car!

Leather seats, CD Player, AC, doesn't take much to make me happy.

I think its perfect, it could be alittle faster and regular gas for the fuel type instead of premium

Amazing car
By flyboy76

1996 Nissan Maxima Sedan SE 4dr Sedan

I bought my nissan maxima with 64,000 km. Now the car has 250,000 km on it and it isn't showing any problems. Everything works still, heated seats electric seats, heated mirrors, radio.. Everything works. The only thing I've had to do to the car is regular maintenance (brakes oil change, had to put in a water pump) I recently had to replace the gas take which was odd, it rusted out in one spot but i foudn a used one in mint shape for 300 bucks.. This car is the most reliable car, best performing car, fun to drive, best on gas, best sound system you will find for the price... I don't have any desire to get a new car and the car is a 96 and looks just as stylish as any 2011 car..

The engine and the transmission.. Silky smooth transmission matted to a smooth powerfull V6. The full sized spare, that is on mag wheels! Find that in a new car

Nothing... Nissan has slid since this car.. Probably cause the 96's were the last year they built them in Japan :(

A love affair with my Maxima SE
By mspitt

1996 Nissan Maxima Sedan GLE 4dr Sedan

I bought this car new and it is still "New" to me. Everyday I get pleasure driving it. I had to do absolutely nothing to this car (except regular maintenance) until 2006 when my mother's dog chewed some wires in two. Now at 180,000 miles, the only thing my husband has done is replace the struts. This car is what all car makers should strive for. Its reliability is unmatched and it is a joy to drive. I would buy another Nissan, but I prefer to keep my Maxima, fixing whatever goes wrong, and just keep driving it. I am convinced this is the "BEST" car on the road.

Since I live in the Midwest, and we get snow and ice in the winter, I love the Maxima's front wheel drive. Another great feature is the button on the gearshift (I have an automatic) which allows you to disengage the overdrive. I don't think this is a "feature", but I love the evergreen paint. It is classy.

The only improvement that could be made is the cup holders. 1) put some in the back seat and 2) enlarge the ones in the front.

I can't give up my maxima!!!!
By maxlover

1996 Nissan Maxima Sedan GLE 4dr Sedan

this is truly the best vehicle ever made. I bought mine in April 2000 with 39K miles now in Dec 2010 i have 237K miles and the car still drives like its new!!!! I have since finished college, finished medical school, gotten married and had two kids and the car is still running strong. The key to the car's success is regular maintenance. On average I have spent $2000/year since my extended warranty run out at 100K miles. In short, I would but the exact same car again if I could get it at 0miles. I hope my next nissan will be this good.

good gas mileage durable

the oxygen sensor and rust proofing. I live in the midwest and the salt destroys the paint