Used 1996 Nissan Maxima SE Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1996 Nissan Maxima - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Maxima model:

Awesome car, that's why mine isn't for sale!
By weigel5

1996 Nissan Maxima SE 4dr Sedan

I bought this car new and still have it today. If you can get your hands on one, buy it! Other than basic maintenance, I've had very little problems. I hope to have it another 16yrs :)

None that I can think of.

Amazing car
By flyboy76

1996 Nissan Maxima SE 4dr Sedan

I bought my nissan maxima with 64,000 km. Now the car has 250,000 km on it and it isn't showing any problems. Everything works still, heated seats electric seats, heated mirrors, radio.. Everything works. The only thing I've had to do to the car is regular maintenance (brakes oil change, had to put in a water pump) I recently had to replace the gas take which was odd, it rusted out in one spot but i foudn a used one in mint shape for 300 bucks.. This car is the most reliable car, best performing car, fun to drive, best on gas, best sound system you will find for the price... I don't have any desire to get a new car and the car is a 96 and looks just as stylish as any 2011 car..

The engine and the transmission.. Silky smooth transmission matted to a smooth powerfull V6. The full sized spare, that is on mag wheels! Find that in a new car

Nothing... Nissan has slid since this car.. Probably cause the 96's were the last year they built them in Japan :(

This is an awesome car!
By Tracie

1996 Nissan Maxima SE 4dr Sedan

I have had many cars, but there will NEVER be another great car like my 96 Max SE - bought with 45K, gave to my 16 yr old at 120K and he has had through high school and now through college and has 215K on it. Now lately it has needed an alternator, starter and now a water pump. Well those costs for a college aged kids car are minimal compared to a car payment. Max's engine and transmission are still better than my new car that I have. Don't have a problem putting about $600 repairs because I know it will run for another 50K miles. A while back, he hit an Explorer hitch and that darn Max drove him home safely. I love love love this car! She's part of the family!

Looks hot better than the new ones still!

Have loved my Maxima for years
By LMS-Denver

1996 Nissan Maxima SE 4dr Sedan

This is the best car I have ever owned, and I can honestly say I've never had an issue with it. It tops the charts in reliability -- I closely followed the maintenance schedule and haven't had a major repair in 14 years. That's impressive. It's a comfortable, nicely styled work horse that does well in all conditions -- snow in particular. Not many people still enjoy driving their cars after 14 years. While it will never get the looks my Mercedes SLK does, I can't say enough about my Maxima always being there for me. A terrific car all the way around.

Reliability! Sporty but practical Smooth drive Intuitive internal gadget placement

I'm having a hard time thinking of one. OK, if I must -- I wished the back seat windows would go down all the way. Seriously, that's all I can come up with. Great job Nissan.

Gets Me By
By Stevo

1996 Nissan Maxima SE 4dr Sedan

This car has been overall pretty decent. As far as most FWD cars from that era, it performs pretty well. Steering is a bit light though, making handling not too enjoyable. Stock suspension is complete trash - a lot of body roll and ridiculous ride height, even with SE setup. Exterior design is quite bland, especially the 95-96 models. The 97-99 look much better. Same with the interior, very bland but at least its simply laid out. The cabin seems cramped for some reason, partly because the ceiling isn't as high as most other cars I drive. For a 140k mile car, it's been pretty reliable. Hasn't ever left me on the side of the road, but stranded in my own driveway interestingly enough.

VQ30 is virtually bulletproof but not completely invincible against high mileage. Pretty decent performance for a mid-90's era V6. Pretty roomy save for headroom.

Bland exterior and interior design, 5-speed transmission needs work, stock suspension even SE needs major overhauling to be claimed as a "sport" trim. Gas mileage is a bit disappointing for a V6.