1996 Nissan Maxima - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Maxima model:
A love affair with my Maxima SE
By mspitt on 01/13/11 08:07 AM (PST)

1996 Nissan Maxima GLE 4dr Sedan

I bought this car new and it is still "New" to me. Everyday I get pleasure driving it. I had to do absolutely nothing to this car (except regular maintenance) until 2006 when my mother's dog chewed some wires in two. Now at 180,000 miles, the only thing my husband has done is replace the struts. This car is what all car makers should strive for. Its reliability is unmatched and it is a joy to drive. I would buy another Nissan, but I prefer to keep my Maxima, fixing whatever goes wrong, and just keep driving it. I am convinced this is the "BEST" car on the road.

I can't give up my maxima!!!!
By maxlover on 12/27/10 05:58 AM (PST)

1996 Nissan Maxima GLE 4dr Sedan

this is truly the best vehicle ever made. I bought mine in April 2000 with 39K miles now in Dec 2010 i have 237K miles and the car still drives like its new!!!! I have since finished college, finished medical school, gotten married and had two kids and the car is still running strong. The key to the car's success is regular maintenance. On average I have spent $2000/year since my extended warranty run out at 100K miles. In short, I would but the exact same car again if I could get it at 0miles. I hope my next nissan will be this good.

Buying another Maxie
By Mr Darren on 05/19/10 22:35 PM (PDT)

1996 Nissan Maxima GLE 4dr Sedan

Bought my first maxima in 2005 and it ended up being the best car I ever owned in my life. It drove like a dream and never gave me more than a ounce of trouble. It had about 125k on it when it was stolen. It still drove better than a lot of new cars. The police recovered it and I wanted badly to regain ownership and start driving her again. But the stupid police stored it outside with the sunroof wide open and it rained for two days straight ruining the interior and making the car a total loss. I bought a few other cars including a 2000 maxima but none drove as good as my 96 maxie. So finally a year later I'm planning on getting my second maxie this one a 98.

Great Car
By T.Husted on 05/12/10 07:47 AM (PDT)

1996 Nissan Maxima GLE 4dr Sedan

2nd owner since 7/09 with 68K miles. Great Car. Power is smooth, the dynamics are great for a 14 year old car. Torque is much better compared to my Honda and it gets around 21 mpg mixed. Interior is great with the black leather. Trunk is large too for a car this size. Friends can't believe it's a '96! I replaced all the entire Bose System. Now with bluetooth, HD radio, and MB Quart components, I couldn't be happier.

Maxima'96
By Twee on 04/30/10 14:47 PM (PDT)

1996 Nissan Maxima GLE 4dr Sedan

I bought my max '06 until now still running great and no problems. I love to drive this car more than my new car. Now 203,500 Miles. Still run like new, And I hope this car with run up tp 500,000.

I will never own anything but a Maxima!
By My Buttercup on 04/08/10 15:38 PM (PDT)

1996 Nissan Maxima GLE 4dr Sedan

Her name is Buttercup and she can pass anyone. My Maxima was given to me by my son in '03. She had 93,000 miles on her when I got her. Since then she has reliably gotten me up and down the East coast and to jobs no less than 50 miles round trip. The only thing I have had to do for my Maxima is battery, tires, starter, and oil change, I hit a deer with this car but this car's reliability, handling, and of course my driving, prevented a catastrophe. Whenever she needs something, she tells me, and as long as I listen, we're both OK. After 30 years of driving, I will never own another car! There's nothing better!

The best!!!!!
By Snowymaxima on 02/17/10 17:34 PM (PST)

1996 Nissan Maxima GLE 4dr Sedan

This is the best car I ever owned. I purchased my 1996 Nissan Maxima GLE from a private party in 2003 when the car had 55,000 miles. I am now at 140k miles, and the original engine, transmission, exhaust system etc. What a car it has been!!!!This 14 year old car is more reliable than the new cars. Why can't Nissan replicate this car, with all of the high ratings it has gotten over the years. The Maxima after 2003 was never the same, and the Altima is a cheap joke. I was recently starting to look to purchase a newer auto, however with what I know about the car, and after reading the reviews I may hold on to this car a lot longer than I thought. What a car Nissan!!!!

The car that made nissan
By TheSilverBullet on 05/07/09 19:39 PM (PDT)

1996 Nissan Maxima GLE 4dr Sedan

Wife bought it in 03 at 90,000 miles, up to 166,980 now. Has driven to NY, VA, and ky twice a year the past 7 yrs. Replaced a starter, 2 batteries & a c. V shaft all my self. The automatic pulls ridiculously well, oversteer is more pronounced if you don't replace the shocks. Brother in law rear ended an 88 olds (steel bumper) & drove it home. Post-repair ($3600), no mechanical issues what so ever. The 6 Bose speakers have outlasted the cd/tape deck. Grease the door joints, or they'll squeak. 4 disc brakes stop at will, & mid-grade gas=mileage+passing power. The alloy wheels stopped a Subaru that pulled out on me, no alignment issues. Paid 8800 in 03, an it was worth every Penny; an awesome car

Older Nissan
By Mike D on 04/15/09 20:10 PM (PDT)

1996 Nissan Maxima GLE 4dr Sedan

When I got this car it had about 150000 miles on it. With this many miles it runs as new a the never cars do. I enjoy driving this car. If I new how good it is now I would have gotten on a few years ago.

Love my Maxima!
By wes95 on 01/22/09 08:13 AM (PST)

1996 Nissan Maxima GLE 4dr Sedan

I purchased my 1996 Maxima GXE used in 2000 with 80,000 miles. Just recently crashed due to snowy weather with 226,000 miles on it. She would have kept going, an awesome car! I have been strict with maintenance through my local Nissan dealer from the start. Oil changes through 30K mile check-ups. I just replaced the exhaust two days before the accident due to rust and a small hole starting. Biggest expense I would say was to replace the oxygen sensors. No problems with the engine or transmission, still going strong till the day she died. Only things I would have liked to see improve would be the interior quality, the drivers side carpet wore out quickly. Good and long-lasting car.