Used 1996 Nissan Maxima GLE Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1996 Nissan Maxima - Consumer Reviews

1996 Nissan Maxima

View reviews for a specific Maxima model:

A love affair with my Maxima SE
By mspitt

1996 Nissan Maxima GLE 4dr Sedan

I bought this car new and it is still "New" to me. Everyday I get pleasure driving it. I had to do absolutely nothing to this car (except regular maintenance) until 2006 when my mother's dog chewed some wires in two. Now at 180,000 miles, the only thing my husband has done is replace the struts. This car is what all car makers should strive for. Its reliability is unmatched and it is a joy to drive. I would buy another Nissan, but I prefer to keep my Maxima, fixing whatever goes wrong, and just keep driving it. I am convinced this is the "BEST" car on the road.

Favorite Features

Since I live in the Midwest, and we get snow and ice in the winter, I love the Maxima's front wheel drive. Another great feature is the button on the gearshift (I have an automatic) which allows you to disengage the overdrive. I don't think this is a "feature", but I love the evergreen paint. It is classy.

Suggested Improvements

The only improvement that could be made is the cup holders. 1) put some in the back seat and 2) enlarge the ones in the front.

I can't give up my maxima!!!!
By maxlover

1996 Nissan Maxima GLE 4dr Sedan

this is truly the best vehicle ever made. I bought mine in April 2000 with 39K miles now in Dec 2010 i have 237K miles and the car still drives like its new!!!! I have since finished college, finished medical school, gotten married and had two kids and the car is still running strong. The key to the car's success is regular maintenance. On average I have spent $2000/year since my extended warranty run out at 100K miles. In short, I would but the exact same car again if I could get it at 0miles. I hope my next nissan will be this good.

Favorite Features

good gas mileage durable

Suggested Improvements

the oxygen sensor and rust proofing. I live in the midwest and the salt destroys the paint

Buying another Maxie
By Mr Darren

1996 Nissan Maxima GLE 4dr Sedan

Bought my first maxima in 2005 and it ended up being the best car I ever owned in my life. It drove like a dream and never gave me more than a ounce of trouble. It had about 125k on it when it was stolen. It still drove better than a lot of new cars. The police recovered it and I wanted badly to regain ownership and start driving her again. But the stupid police stored it outside with the sunroof wide open and it rained for two days straight ruining the interior and making the car a total loss. I bought a few other cars including a 2000 maxima but none drove as good as my 96 maxie. So finally a year later I'm planning on getting my second maxie this one a 98.

Favorite Features

I love the smooth rode. and sporty feel.

Suggested Improvements

no improvement need it near perfect.

Great Car
By T.Husted

1996 Nissan Maxima GLE 4dr Sedan

2nd owner since 7/09 with 68K miles. Great Car. Power is smooth, the dynamics are great for a 14 year old car. Torque is much better compared to my Honda and it gets around 21 mpg mixed. Interior is great with the black leather. Trunk is large too for a car this size. Friends can't believe it's a '96! I replaced all the entire Bose System. Now with bluetooth, HD radio, and MB Quart components, I couldn't be happier.

Favorite Features

Power, great highway cruiser, quiet interior, black on black looks great. No major mechanical problems whatsoever.

Suggested Improvements

premium fuel, can't lock all the doors from the back, bit more power would be nice, 15 inch stock rims (will upgrade soon however).

Maxima'96
By Twee

1996 Nissan Maxima GLE 4dr Sedan

I bought my max '06 until now still running great and no problems. I love to drive this car more than my new car. Now 203,500 Miles. Still run like new, And I hope this car with run up tp 500,000.

Favorite Features

Power, Bose audio, brakes, handling, roomy, trunk space, easy maintenance, 140mph top end, smooth ride, color, drivetrain, the

Suggested Improvements

stiffer suspension,