1996 Nissan Maxima - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Maxima model:
Awesome car, that's why mine isn't for sale!
By weigel5 on 04/16/12 11:10 AM (PDT)

1996 Nissan Maxima SE 4dr Sedan

I bought this car new and still have it today. If you can get your hands on one, buy it! Other than basic maintenance, I've had very little problems. I hope to have it another 16yrs :)

The greatest car ever!
By mcrockett on 11/07/11 16:51 PM (PST)

1996 Nissan Maxima GXE 4dr Sedan

I brought by 1996 Maxima at a public auto auction in Dec 2005 for $2,800. The car was at 132K miles. Today in Nov 2011 I have almost 325K originial miles. This car has paid for itself over and over. I have no major problems only routine maintainence (oil changes, brakes,...). Ive had it tuned up twice. After 180K I stopped passing the MD Emission test but who cares the car is safe and reliable. I drive almost 100 miles a day for work and she still moves great. I have done several creative things including putting leather seats in from another Maxima, better radio from another Maxima AC controls and power window & door switches. Just a great Car!

Amazing car
By flyboy76 on 01/24/11 23:12 PM (PST)

1996 Nissan Maxima SE 4dr Sedan

I bought my nissan maxima with 64,000 km. Now the car has 250,000 km on it and it isn't showing any problems. Everything works still, heated seats electric seats, heated mirrors, radio.. Everything works. The only thing I've had to do to the car is regular maintenance (brakes oil change, had to put in a water pump) I recently had to replace the gas take which was odd, it rusted out in one spot but i foudn a used one in mint shape for 300 bucks.. This car is the most reliable car, best performing car, fun to drive, best on gas, best sound system you will find for the price... I don't have any desire to get a new car and the car is a 96 and looks just as stylish as any 2011 car..

A love affair with my Maxima SE
By mspitt on 01/13/11 08:07 AM (PST)

1996 Nissan Maxima GLE 4dr Sedan

I bought this car new and it is still "New" to me. Everyday I get pleasure driving it. I had to do absolutely nothing to this car (except regular maintenance) until 2006 when my mother's dog chewed some wires in two. Now at 180,000 miles, the only thing my husband has done is replace the struts. This car is what all car makers should strive for. Its reliability is unmatched and it is a joy to drive. I would buy another Nissan, but I prefer to keep my Maxima, fixing whatever goes wrong, and just keep driving it. I am convinced this is the "BEST" car on the road.

I can't give up my maxima!!!!
By maxlover on 12/27/10 05:58 AM (PST)

1996 Nissan Maxima GLE 4dr Sedan

this is truly the best vehicle ever made. I bought mine in April 2000 with 39K miles now in Dec 2010 i have 237K miles and the car still drives like its new!!!! I have since finished college, finished medical school, gotten married and had two kids and the car is still running strong. The key to the car's success is regular maintenance. On average I have spent $2000/year since my extended warranty run out at 100K miles. In short, I would but the exact same car again if I could get it at 0miles. I hope my next nissan will be this good.

Maxima gives maximum bang for your buck
By Jackie Shroff on 08/28/10 06:56 AM (PDT)

1996 Nissan Maxima GXE 4dr Sedan

We bought this Maxima brand new. Now after 14 years and 150,000 miles, it is still running well. We did oil changes at every 3000 and tire rotations at 6000 and other scheduled maintenance. Replaced a few parts- radiator, front & rear struts, valve cover gasket, front & rear CV axle and O2 canisters. But this is the best built Japanese car. I remember a 20 year old commercial by Datsun (Nissan's previous name) "Creating Harmony by Design". Maxima is a living testimony of it. This car has been with us like a family member through college, first job, new home and all other life changes. I think it will easily go till 200K, but eventually a day will come to replace it. Great job Nissan.

This is an awesome car!
By Tracie on 06/14/10 05:53 AM (PDT)

1996 Nissan Maxima SE 4dr Sedan

I have had many cars, but there will NEVER be another great car like my 96 Max SE - bought with 45K, gave to my 16 yr old at 120K and he has had through high school and now through college and has 215K on it. Now lately it has needed an alternator, starter and now a water pump. Well those costs for a college aged kids car are minimal compared to a car payment. Max's engine and transmission are still better than my new car that I have. Don't have a problem putting about $600 repairs because I know it will run for another 50K miles. A while back, he hit an Explorer hitch and that darn Max drove him home safely. I love love love this car! She's part of the family!

Buying another Maxie
By Mr Darren on 05/19/10 22:35 PM (PDT)

1996 Nissan Maxima GLE 4dr Sedan

Bought my first maxima in 2005 and it ended up being the best car I ever owned in my life. It drove like a dream and never gave me more than a ounce of trouble. It had about 125k on it when it was stolen. It still drove better than a lot of new cars. The police recovered it and I wanted badly to regain ownership and start driving her again. But the stupid police stored it outside with the sunroof wide open and it rained for two days straight ruining the interior and making the car a total loss. I bought a few other cars including a 2000 maxima but none drove as good as my 96 maxie. So finally a year later I'm planning on getting my second maxie this one a 98.

Great Car
By T.Husted on 05/12/10 07:47 AM (PDT)

1996 Nissan Maxima GLE 4dr Sedan

2nd owner since 7/09 with 68K miles. Great Car. Power is smooth, the dynamics are great for a 14 year old car. Torque is much better compared to my Honda and it gets around 21 mpg mixed. Interior is great with the black leather. Trunk is large too for a car this size. Friends can't believe it's a '96! I replaced all the entire Bose System. Now with bluetooth, HD radio, and MB Quart components, I couldn't be happier.

Maxima'96
By Twee on 04/30/10 14:47 PM (PDT)

1996 Nissan Maxima GLE 4dr Sedan

I bought my max '06 until now still running great and no problems. I love to drive this car more than my new car. Now 203,500 Miles. Still run like new, And I hope this car with run up tp 500,000.