Overall, an excellent car.
By three_pedals on
1995 Nissan Maxima SE 4dr Sedan
This car is the first I've owned and is great. It performs and handles well. It is a fairly unique car in the marketplace--it doesn't exhibit the luxury of a Lexus ES or Acura Legend of the same era, but is cheaper and offers equal, if not superior, performance. It's an ideal enthusiast car on a budget. I've had to replace the left control arm bushing and both of my rear power windows are inoperable (one is the arm assembly, one is the motor). Other than these minor problems (in addition to brakes and clutch replacement) the car has been very reliable, requiring only routine maintainance. The performance of the VQ engine is very smooth and rewarding, but carries a penalty in gas milage.
Favorite Features
The engine and chassis are great for curvy two-lane roads like the one I commute on. The Bose system is great. Plenty of interior room and trunk space.
Suggested Improvements
Cupholder is terrible. The linkage is not nearly as nice as Honda/Acura/BMW. The fuel economy is not particularly good either. The trunk does not seem to have enough insulation, as the floor gets quite hot from the exhaust after the car hs been driven hard. Don't carry ammunition back there.