Used 1995 Nissan Maxima Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1995 Nissan Maxima - Consumer Reviews

1995 Nissan Maxima

View reviews for a specific Maxima model:

Most Helpful|
1995 SE 5-speed
By D. Rossi

1995 Nissan Maxima SE 4dr Sedan

When I originally purchased the Maxima, I wanted to get maximum fuel economy and reliability while maintaining a semi-luxury design and sporty feel; enter the Maxima five speed, fuel efficent, reliable, and filled with creature comforts (Bose stereo, digital climate control, heated leather, etc.). The vehicle is responsive and comfortable, handling is about average for its size and build quality is relatively good. You really do get quite a lot for not much money, but be warned: Nissan charges premium prices for its components, well over the prices you'd expect from a Japanese automobile. All in all I would still recommend the vehicle despite its faults as a great daily driver.

Favorite Features

Reliability (the vehicle has been worked on so little the bolts in the belly pan rusted off due to their rare removal!). Interior comfort package (radio, climate control, etc.). Engine performance, especially with the manual transmission is superb. Fuel economy is top notch.

Suggested Improvements

Transmission design is "notchy" and you really have to "row" between gears. Also with age first gear and reverse require double clutching. Leather quality leaves much to be desired. Pricing on parts is almost at luxury car level, well above Toyota and Honda part costs.

Historic 1995 NissanMaximaQX performance
By fnaaijkens

1995 Nissan Maxima SE 4dr Sedan

I have purchased one for Hfl 32000, now EUR15000 in 1997. It had had one owner for a year after being in the showroom for a year. Bought it at 69,000 km (40k miles). I have owned it for 12 years, and the only thing to break down was the dashboard clocks. About after every 350,000 km (200,000 mi) So, I have driven it for 1,300,000 km (800,000 mi) at it still drives like a modern 1-year- old car. It is unbelievable. Because I wanted an automatic, I started out with a Primera for 5 months, then got this one when I was 27 year. Now I'm 40 years and still driving it! Amazing.

Favorite Features

Engine performance with kick-down. Fairly good mpg when driving conservatively, and highly acceptable mpg when driving 120mph on the French or German highways (1:10 km/l) Loudspeakers are excellent! Airco is still perfectly good. A yearly $1,500 maintenance keeps it going and going.

Suggested Improvements

I should have take a leather finishing with electric controls. Other than that, the car feels like what every car nowadays have. It still feels modern! I still belong to the 5% fastest drivers. THE BEST BUY EVER. IMAGINE my cost of running! EUR600 insurance per year, EUR7,000 gas...

1995 Nissan Maxima
By john33rr

1995 Nissan Maxima GLE 4dr Sedan

We bought this car in 1998 and it has 46,000 miles on it. We drove it until April 2012 when it had 265,000 miles on it. Very little maintenance on this car. It would get 34 MPG on the Interstate and around 26 MPG local. We sold it to a friend and it is still running. Best car we have ever owned. Way to go Nissan. I would have bought another Maxima but they started putting 3.5 liter engines in them. Bad for gas.

Favorite Features

Gas mileage and dependability

Suggested Improvements

None

1995 strong after 20 years
By myedmunds6

1995 Nissan Maxima GLE 4dr Sedan

I had my 95 maxima for 4 years. Bought from a dealer at incrredible 65K miles in prestine condition. This is my 5th datsun-nissan. Just change oil regularly at 5k. Need to replace consumables. Other than that, no major repair needed. Spends aboout $300 for repair/maint. On my previous 94 maxima, I drove about 300K+ odometer stopped at 230K. I drove 4 more years until the tranny gave up. Gas mileage is about 20 mpg on city+highway mix.

Bullet Proof
By N. D.

1995 Nissan Maxima GXE 4dr Sedan

I put on a lot of highway miles in the first three years. Had to replace the starter twice, new shocks. Did have a problem with sensor brought on by freezing weather in Tahoe. As a consequence, the engine would cut out while accelerating. It cost $75 to replace the sensor. Only problems in 14 years. Replace oil every 3,000 miles from day one. Odometer now shows 300,175 miles. Still accelerates like day one. Very fast car. Hums at 85 mph. Best car I've ever owned. My third Maxima. The other two went to 180,000+. Traded one in and totaled the other in an accident.

Favorite Features

The engine. Light weight. Excellent turning radius.

Suggested Improvements

None. Maybe the greatest car in its price range of the decade.