Used 1995 Nissan Maxima SE Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1995 Nissan Maxima - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Maxima model:

Maxima 95
By ev15

1995 Nissan Maxima SE 4dr Sedan

I just recently bought a Nissan Maxima SE, It's got a 187,000 km's on it and it looks brand new. it's only had one owner before me, who purchased it brand new in 1995. I still can't understand how someone could keep a car for 18 years, drive it everyday and still have it in impeccable condition. it literally doesn't have a scratch on the paint. I don't think anybody ever sat in the back or in the front passenger seat, even the driver side is 90% of it's original brand new condition. I don't think anything was ever placed in the trunk and the 18 year old alloy wheels look brand new. I have truly scored a Gem and I hope to keep it till it dies. Hats off to Nissan, they made a great car

Historic 1995 NissanMaximaQX performance
By fnaaijkens

1995 Nissan Maxima SE 4dr Sedan

I have purchased one for Hfl 32000, now EUR15000 in 1997. It had had one owner for a year after being in the showroom for a year. Bought it at 69,000 km (40k miles). I have owned it for 12 years, and the only thing to break down was the dashboard clocks. About after every 350,000 km (200,000 mi) So, I have driven it for 1,300,000 km (800,000 mi) at it still drives like a modern 1-year- old car. It is unbelievable. Because I wanted an automatic, I started out with a Primera for 5 months, then got this one when I was 27 year. Now I'm 40 years and still driving it! Amazing.

Favorite Features

Engine performance with kick-down. Fairly good mpg when driving conservatively, and highly acceptable mpg when driving 120mph on the French or German highways (1:10 km/l) Loudspeakers are excellent! Airco is still perfectly good. A yearly $1,500 maintenance keeps it going and going.

Suggested Improvements

I should have take a leather finishing with electric controls. Other than that, the car feels like what every car nowadays have. It still feels modern! I still belong to the 5% fastest drivers. THE BEST BUY EVER. IMAGINE my cost of running! EUR600 insurance per year, EUR7,000 gas...

No one builds them like Japan
By E-Man77

1995 Nissan Maxima SE 4dr Sedan

I purchased this baby last month. I paid $2,000 and has spent about $1,500 on repairs. I've replaced the radiator, drive belts, valve cover gaskets, one fuel injector, two ignition coils, and all six spark plugs. All failed parts were originals. Avoid the dealership for repairs because it's extremely expensive. The car drives and handles like a charm. The body is solid and paint still shines. It has power and acceleration that throws you back in your seat. The volume control on radio doesn't work, so it gradually gets louder. A cassette tape is also stuck inside. It's a 5-speed. The original clutch was replaced two years ago. Car has 158,000 miles. Good for at least 150,000 more.

Favorite Features

Extremely fun to drive, great power and acceleration, ageless interior and exterior design, good build quality, one of the last true imports. Car was built when Maximas were made in Japan and shipped over to the States.

Suggested Improvements

To be honest, I don't have any suggested improvements for this car.

Great car -- but RUST
By MaxRI

1995 Nissan Maxima SE 4dr Sedan

I have an SE 5-spd with leather. Great car! V6 w/manual is great, interior feels better than many current mid-size sedans. Awesome Bose stereo system. The issue: RUST. Car was in MA/RI its whole life, with many rust-related problems lately: cosmetic, engine issues (clamp rusted - radiator hose came off on road) to now major frame damage ($$$$). Engine and interior still great, though. If you live in Phoenix a 1995 Max would be a great, cheap way to get a fun and well-built car. But 95 is just too old here with snow/salt; mine is being sold.

Favorite Features

V6 with manual shift, Bose stereo, interior tasteful and well built

Suggested Improvements

Watch out for rust

The Max
By R Keister

1995 Nissan Maxima SE 4dr Sedan

At 150,000 miles, and practically NO mechanical problems, this car is AMAZING! The engine runs like it's new. Of course, my penchant for religious maintenance might have something to do with that. It's comfortable, quiet, powerful and all-in-all pleasant to drive. Fuel economy is really good considering the vintage and engine size (3.0L V6) - 21 in town and as high as 28 on trips.

Favorite Features

Handling, seating comfort, sound system (see below)

Suggested Improvements

A little late for this - but the CD player and cassette player both died at around 90,000 mi. The radio still works but the dial lights don't. Neither Bose nor Nissan can (will) repair the system for less than $1,500 US.